P60 Heat Sinking?

awyeah

Enlightened
Just got a new nailbender XM-L2 and a solarforce L2T.

I have read that it is a good idea to use copper tape or aluminum foil to get better transfer of heat from the lamp assembly to the body.

What do I need to know about this?

Thanks!

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Wrap it like this. Now you've started the P60 format, hold onto your wallet! There's loads of nice modules out there for reasonable $$$!

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thermal paste for the threads between the reflector and pill, copper tape for the gap between the drop-in and host, and a head with improved heatsinking will work wonders.

Arctic Silver 5 is one of the best thermal pastes currently available. If you didn't ask nailbender to glue the reflector and pill together with thermal compound, get yourself an Arctic Silver 5 and apply a tiny amount to fill in the gap between the threads of the reflector and pill, which will improve thermal pathway.

Aluminum foil and copper tape both work to improve thermal pathway between the drop-in and host, but the former is more of an affordable method whereas the latter is the recommended solution. Both methods require you to apply enough to get the drop-in fit snug inside the host. Using copper tape will allow heat to transfer from the drop-in to the host body faster than aluminum foil. But aluminum foil is infinitely better than nothing.

As for an alternate head... You probably won't need 'em, unless you are a nutjob like me that prefers dangerously overdriven drop-ins. Cryos Z44 and Z32 bezels and fivemega's beefy head have significantly increased surface area compared to smooth heads, allowing higher dissipation rates.

I use all of the above methods to run vinhnguyen54's XM-L2 drop-in at 4.2A, which gets around 1,300 OTF lumens. Darkness withers before it.

awyeah

Enlightened
Great, thanks for the advice everyone. I actually asked nailbender to limit this drop-in to 2.2A so it's not exceeding recommended draw for CR123As. So it's not being overdriven.

Quick question - I'd really like to keep the label on the drop-in for identification purposes (for when I get more of them :)) - I'd guess it will hamper heat sinking, but how much?

Thanks!

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
If 2.2A is all you are going to be driving it with, you'll be fine with just thermal paste and aluminum foil/copper tape. Forget about the heatsinking head.

As for the sticker, just peel it off and move it more towards the top of the reflector. To properly use the foil/tape, you just need to ensure that the lower area on the reflector where the pill is located fitting snugly with the host. The top portion of the reflector won't even be touching the host, anyway, so it wouldn't matter if you moved the label there.

yifu

Enlightened
2.2A produces little heat, basic al foil would do it. If you have say an MTG2 dropin or a quad XPG dropin running at more than 20 watts, you'll need a thermal paste and a good heatsinking head like the ronac cryos P60 head or the fivemega beefy heat sink head