Ebay win... what have I bought???

Johnbaz

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

I must confess to not being terribly well versed in all the flashlamps that are available but I bid on and won this XM-l T6 (x3) lamp from fleabay :confused:

I 'won' one from Fleabay for £14.49 but never received it (I presume the seller wanted more :duh2: )
The seller claims 3800 lumens for the total of the three T6s, I reckon this is well over the top and was wondering whether anyone has owned one (seems loads of them on the bay) and will the batteries/charger be OK to use??

The one that I won in the ebay listing is supposed to be here in the UK and promise delivery for the 9th of May but strangely, all the writing from them is Chinese :shakehead

Hoping they really are in this country or the tax man will probably want his commission :mad:

EDIT- forgot to ask, is this a knockoff of a known lamp??

Thanks for any help :thumbsup:

Hello everyone..

I'm very sorry if I offended anyone with my comments- I didn't intend to hurt anyones feelings and can't actually remember what I wrote but I have a feeling that it was some comment that I didn't give any thought to and would possibly have been an attempt at humour..

Once again, very sorry, John..

Cheers, John :)

Last edited:

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
Ultrafire in general is regarded as a massive POS, so don't be surprised if it stops working after a few minutes.

Johnbaz

Newly Enlightened
Ultrafire in general is regarded as a massive POS, so don't be surprised if it stops working after a few minutes.

Oh dear!!

Well at least it wasn't too expensive!!

I'll hold back on the feedback then just in case!

Thanks John :thumbsup:

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Li-ion cells are not very tolerant of abuse, those batteries and charger could range from marginally adequate to seriously dangerous. Who knows if they're re-cycled junk cells from somewhere or if that charger will even terminate at 4.2V?

You might get away with the tax, they don't catch everything. IMO, its the VAT charged ON TOP of the tax that really annoys me! (Oh and if it's below ..$30?ish it's not liable anyway).

Johnbaz

Newly Enlightened
Li-ion cells are not very tolerant of abuse, those batteries and charger could range from marginally adequate to seriously dangerous. Who knows if they're re-cycled junk cells from somewhere or if that charger will even terminate at 4.2V?

You might get away with the tax, they don't catch everything. IMO, its the VAT charged ON TOP of the tax that really annoys me! (Oh and if it's below ..$30?ish it's not liable anyway).

Thanks gm

I read that VAT is applied to anything over £15, import duty over £135 (it was on the Government website!)..

Below £15 I don't think it's liable to any sort of duty :thumbsup:

The auction listed the torch kit as "Item location:UK, United Kingdom"

Cheers, John
:)

JCD

Enlightened

I think poor quality control is a more accurate description of Ultrafire. The OP is as likely to receive an excellent light as he is to receive a "massive POS."

The cells are a bigger area of concern. Their voltage should be closely monitored to ensure that the cells are in comparable condition. One good cell and one bad cell in a two cell light is a recipe for very bad things happening.

Higher quality cells and charger would be highly recommended if the light is going to be used regularly.

Stocum

Newly Enlightened
I got one of these about 9 months ago. It has worked well. Puts out about 1600 lumen with good cells. I got the 3 cell extension. Two or more cells puts out the maximum amount of lumen. If you only run one cell it's not as bright. It is very floody. I prefer more throw if I carry a light this big so I don't use it much. It sits by the front door.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
John. Why don't you consider buying from this forum? Plenty of help and information. Nobody dares to sell junk here.Any who does that would be off loaded faster than you can blink. :)

JCD

Enlightened
Nobody dares to sell junk here.Any who does that would be off loaded faster than you can blink. :)

One can find lots of good stuff here (including CPFmarketplace.com), but one can also find junk, even if it's name brand junk. To be fair, such items are usually accurately described, even if junk isn't an adjective that makes it into the description. The reality is that a lot of lights discussed on these forums are overhyped junk. Those lights get bought, used, sold, and used again by new owners just like higher quality stuff. Further, more often than not, owners like them, and do not personally consider them to be junk. I suspect that most people who use Ultrafire lights also like them, and don't consider them to be junk, either.

Johnbaz

Newly Enlightened
I think poor quality control is a more accurate description of Ultrafire. The OP is as likely to receive an excellent light as he is to receive a "massive POS."

The cells are a bigger area of concern. Their voltage should be closely monitored to ensure that the cells are in comparable condition. One good cell and one bad cell in a two cell light is a recipe for very bad things happening.

Higher quality cells and charger would be highly recommended if the light is going to be used regularly.

Thanks for the warning regarding imbalanced cells, i'll check the regularly with the meter (the output too of the charger!)..

I got one of these about 9 months ago. It has worked well. Puts out about 1600 lumen with good cells. I got the 3 cell extension. Two or more cells puts out the maximum amount of lumen. If you only run one cell it's not as bright. It is very floody. I prefer more throw if I carry a light this big so I don't use it much. It sits by the front door.

I'll keep an eye out for an extension for it then :cool:

John. Why don't you consider buying from this forum? Plenty of help and information. Nobody dares to sell junk here.Any who does that would be off loaded faster than you can blink. :)

Hi Benchiew, I had a look in the sales but had no idea what I was reading about (a bit of a thickie I am :eek: )

One can find lots of good stuff here (including CPFmarketplace.com), but one can also find junk, even if it's name brand junk. To be fair, such items are usually accurately described, even if junk isn't an adjective that makes it into the description. The reality is that a lot of lights discussed on these forums are overhyped junk. Those lights get bought, used, sold, and used again by new owners just like higher quality stuff. Further, more often than not, owners like them, and do not personally consider them to be junk. I suspect that most people who use Ultrafire lights also like them, and don't consider them to be junk, either.

If getting a decent light depends on luck then mine will set on fire as soon as I install the batteries!!- If it wasn't for bad luck, i'd have none at all!! :eek::twothumbs

Thanks for the assistance all :thumbsup:

John :)

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Johnbaz.
Maybe you can post a "recommend me a light" section with your requirements and budget. Some one knowledgeable will chime in with specifics. Then lookout for them in the marketplace.
You can also place a want to buy thread and wait for a response.

Johnbaz

Newly Enlightened
Hi Johnbaz.
Maybe you can post a "recommend me a light" section with your requirements and budget. Some one knowledgeable will chime in with specifics. Then lookout for them in the marketplace.
You can also place a want to buy thread and wait for a response.

Hi BC

I wasn't looking for anything in particular, I just fancied a bright lamp to go in the collection (well, brighter than the Fenix T1!!)..

Anyhow, the torch arrived and i'm very impressed with the output but it seemed there is an extension available to take 3x 18650 batts so i've ordered one from ebay..

The batteries that should have come with the torch weren't in the package but I think they arrived this morning- I ordered two more sets so i'm not sure but I think these are the ones sent that were missing, trouble is that they don't match the description of any of them :confused: (different capacities!)

I also bought a charger too as the one that accompanied the torch seemed a little cheap :duh2:

I'm not sure if the one I ordered will be any better than what came with the torch!!

The charger is a Jetbeam I4 intellicharge Universal charger

The only thing I can find wrong with the torch is that the locking bezel on the front isn't square, it seems to have a very drunken thread but it's of no detriment to the operation..

John :)

Johnbaz

Newly Enlightened
Please do some research on those rechargeable. It worries me to hear that you will be running triple 18650 with different brands and capacity. I would not do that if I were you.

Could that be that dodgy?, would I be better buying another pair of the same make/capacity?

Is it the charging or actual using them that's bad?? (or both!)

Sorry but i've only recently had an ankering for something with more power and didn't realise that it could be dangerous (I think you mean it could be dangerous at least)..

HAGWE

Last edited:

|Night|

Newly Enlightened
Could that be that dodgy?, would I be better buying another pair of the same make/capacity?

Is it the charging or actual using them that's bad?? (or both!)

Sorry but i've only recently had an ankering for something with more power and didn't realise that it could be dangerous (I think you mean it could be dangerous at least)..

HAGWE

In worst case you might have a pipebomb, like forum memberd caprilia
IMG_1529.jpg

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?262234-TK-Monster-Explosion

be very carefull not treating those Lithium Ion with respect, and

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy some AW batteries and an XTAR VP1 charger or Nitecore intellicharger. You'll be glad you did. Read up on li ion safety and the posts above will make sense to you! Enjoy your light!

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy some AW batteries and an XTAR VP1 charger or Nitecore intellicharger. You'll be glad you did. Read up on li ion safety and the posts above will make sense to you! Enjoy your light!

That is good advice. All batteries needs to be of equal voltage, capacity and age.
There are batteries that are not what is claimed. Look around the forum and you will learn which is respectable. Not to say the others are not but I rather stick with the tried and tested.

I check for voltage variances before and after charging. If one varies too much then there could be a problem.

These batteries if used in singles is of lesser concern but when you stack them, you risk increases exponentially.

Craig K

Enlightened
I sold a like new condition only 5 weeks old turnkey Malkoff MD2 on Ebay I started the bidding at only 99cents and a guy won the bid for only $32.00 so it was very good for the buyer but not so good for me.

Johnbaz

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I have two Trustfire 2400Mah batteries and as it happens (purely by luck!) two of the batteries that I bought are exactly the same!

The ones I have have only had one charge, I read somewhere that the Trustfire are an OK Budget battery (or did I imagine it??)..

This is the charger that I 'won' on Ebay, Is it not up to much??, it's supposedly an intelligent charger that will charge most types of cells??

Many thanks for all the help- wouldn't want to come to a sticky end!!

Kind regards, John..

scsmith

Newly Enlightened
John, the JetBeam i2 and i4 are the same chargers as the NiteCore i2 and i4 - they're both owned by Sysmax corporation. That's a very good charger, and a great charger for the price. Now just get some AW brand batteries and you'll have a much safer and more consistent power supply for your flashlight/torch.