What is the soldering method behinds this?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like he's just good with iron & solder to me. With as much of a bad rap as lead-based solders get, they flow *really* nicely compared to silver and the like. He's probably just had lots of practice.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not disagreeing with you just to make a point, but that looks more like solder paste and a reflow gun to me?

Even if you are very good with a solder iron you more often than not leave sent sort of evidence that their on was there.

Trivial though - its super clean work regardless!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah, you're probably right. There should at least be a tiny dent where the tip was sitting on the pad. Hot air reflow makes sense.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man the grammar in my post was total gibberish. 10pts to you for deciphering haha!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Norm

Retired Administrator
There should at least be a tiny dent where the tip was sitting on the pad.
There should be no evidence left by the iron, the joint should be a molten puddle when the iron is lifted leaving nothing but a nice bright shiny joint.

If your joint isn't bright and shiny chances are your didn't have things hot enough. There is no reason to think that these joints weren't created by a skilled person using a clean temperature controlled quality iron.

Norm

Last edited:

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with Norm.
Further, iron tip did not have to be applied to the wire. May have been been applied to the tag on the LED.

My soldering to an SST90 LED. Brown blob on bottom of left joint is flux, not tip mark.
I think it not as pretty as joint you posted but better. Solder has no strength. It may look like it needs more solder but it does not.
Joint on right too much solder.

_MG_5992.jpg

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
But look at the horn like tip of the solder at bottom right. Isn't this what mattaus was referring to?

BTW I am getting hooked on thsi Solderign forensics.
I am searching CPF for Darkzero's setup and I am finding interesting stuff. Nothing definite yet.

(hope he is reading too...)

spc

Enlightened
A good solder joint should be smooth and shiny. This can be achieved with a good hot soldering iron, led solder and plenty of flux. I use a flux core led solder + a little flux paste. You may need to clean off excess flux, but you will be left with a smooth joint.
-works for me at least

Tiresius

Enlightened
reflow soldered with soldering paste. His other photos tells me with the kapton tape :D

You can achieve similar results with a good soldering gun and paste flux. Look at how cleanly this guy's soldering work comes out with just the soldering station and soldering paste and/or flux: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uiroWBkdFY

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Sorry for such a late reply. Just a soldering iron & flux. No kapton tape or solder paste. I reflow emitters using a soldering iron too.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice soldering skills ;).

Really would like to hear how you reflow with only the soldering iron?

rayman

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, always did it on my stove. Maybe will try that next time.

rayman