Time to buy something - wide?

Albany Tom

Enlightened
You know the feeling, it's "I want to buy a light" time. I'm looking for some advice.

I want a bright, wide beam, flashlight. Something wide and hopefully even, like the SL4AALED, but brighter. I have some nice long throw lights - a Tigerlight, and an SL6, but not a wide one. I have a Legend LX, but the bulb popping out thing bugs me.

I'd like to keep it under $100. A lantern might be ok. Rechargable would be great, but I could deal with 123 if I have to. Even a AA light would be ok.

Suggestions?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
just wait for INRETECH to see this thread ...
grin.gif
grin.gif

bernhard

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
streamlight ultrastinger! homer simpson voice ......adjustable.......hmmmm....... drool ......

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
I'll be selling some textured LA's for the TL in a week or so. It makes for a really nice wide beam with a usable hot spot. I think they'll be about $15 for the textured LA kit, which will include a UCL lens and #034 o-ring. I will more than likely have a few different levels of texture - heavy for a flood and light for just a smoother beam. The price will of course include free shipping.

Check out this link for some beamshots of a heavily textured LA:

http://www.flashlightlens.com/reflector.htm

Chris

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definately either an UltraStinger or a Surge... For $100 and under, these guys are great general lights, especially the UltraStinger for flood/wide and narrow beam...

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris,
Wouldn't you know....I just ordered my lens last week. Hasn't even arrived yet, & now you offer this. TX

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i agree playboy!

i just cant get over how nice the tec 40 really is.

positives: reasonable size, light, simple, sturdy, waterproof, bright (i now have the kpr103 like you--nice beam!), very inexpensive ($13!), easily and inexpensively replaced bulbs, good runtime, ability to use lithiums, twist-on switch (i wouldnt like a switch that could be accidentally turned on), nice "feel", runs nicely on inexpensive alkalines.

and a word about that beam: most agree that it is quite smooth, with excellent throw.
yet, an overlooked quality is that it has a very nice wide use-able flood at closer ranges. you can actually use the flood for doing tasks.

any negatives? i guess it could be slippery, and it doesnt have an anti roll bezel, cant stand it on end...but you can hang it with the nice included lanyard!

later,
Bob

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Ok, I think that although I need a Surge eventually, not for this light. I'm looking for something that doesn't have any hot spot at all. (Too many lights with nice hotspots) Same goes for the Tek40, and textured Tigerlight.

X5T - not bright enough, looking for brighter than the SL4AA7LED

Arc-LS? Is it much brighter than the SL above?

Inretech? The 6-1W really wide one I think is maybe too wide. How wide/even is the 3-1W w/ lens model?

Ultrastinger? Sounds good. Is it ringy when set wide? Better than a mag? (I hope!)

Which would be the least expensive SureFire beam shaper that would still put out a decent amount of light?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
oops..we got off track there.

i have been toying with a 5w cyan and a mcflood.

maybe you could get a 5w light from elektrolumens or dat2zip with a mcflood.

the 5w are VERY bright, and coupled with the mcflood give a great broad smooth even pattern, weighted just slightly to center.

Bob

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to get the UltraStinger that has the textured reflector. But when you set it wide, it's just a smooth, flood flow of warm light. The bad thing about it is, if you're looking for a light with ABSOLUTELY NO HOT SPOT, then the US is not for you, as it does have a small, but noticeable hotspot up close.

Inretech's Helios, with its collimators, can produce a good flood of light:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000938

And the best part is, you can take the collimators out, and it'll produce a nice even 300 degrees of pure white light...

The only thing is, the Helios is going to cost you way above $100...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Dude, the TEC 40 that I have been crowing about does not have a hotspot unless you say the amount of light it is putting at the other end of a 15ft hall one BIG hotspot!

Okay, it's not an ultra wide beam. But of every (a considerable number!) light I own, it is the brightest widest beam. Only things that get close are Rayovac Industrial 3Ds, Craftsman Tool 3D and 4AA and my honking big Rayovac 6D. Now what would you prefer to carry of that bunch???

It makes a big bright even beam, really! We are not yanking your chain here!

And it unly costs less than $20 for you to find out yourself.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Okay, gotta clarify something here.

ONLY thing brighter AND wider than this TEC 40 is my Brinkmann LX. The LX is rather expensive to feed however.

The TEC 40 does have a SORTA hotspot. It's a large 'spot' with quite a bit of spill light, but it's not really noticable in most situations.

Several of my Textured reflector 4AA to 3D lights had larger and/or better defined beams, but none were brighter.

So for a cheap to buy, cheap to run pretty wide DAMN bright compact liteweight light, get a TEC 40 and don't look back. For an expensive to feed, cheap to buy, VERY wide VERY bright light get a Brinkmann LX.

And I'm sorry I tried to make the 40 sound better than it is, but it is a wonderful thing in my humble opinion!

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Don't be sorry - I appreciate all the input.

I may just pick up a tek 40, if for no other reason than to compare to my UK 2AA. I have the Brinkman LX. It's bright and wide, but on a wide setting has a dark spot in the center. I know after I've bragged about the Tigerlight I'm being hypocritical, but this time I want a pretty beam.

So I was thinking US, until I read above - LightCannon! How could I have not thought of that? Ok, a bit more expensive, but I've never heard it described as anything BUT bright and has the wide diffusion filters...hmmm.