Surefire LX2 still relevant?

carrot

Flashaholic
Greetings all,

With the "imminent release" of the LX2 Lumamax Ultra (500 lumens update), and the new, 2-stage EB1-T, along with the constant march of progress, is the LX2 still relevant in its size and price range?

I had been interested since they came out but never got around to picking one up. Still sounds like it has great regulation, good throw, and decent output.

Finally, we all know what Surefire's release timetable is like (a few months away = never), so appreciated if anybody has more recent information about the LX2-U now that the new E2DLU is out.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I'll vote that it is still somewhat relevant.

As compared to the EB1T, the LX2 would have a longer runtime, which could be important depending on the purpose for which the light is used. In all honesty, however, I have no plans to buy one since I currently own an E2DL and EB1T.

The 500 lumen E2DL is more expensive than the 200 lumen version. The same would likely be true of the LX2. At least some purchasers (like me) would not feel the need to pay extra for the extra lumens. 200 does what I need. Sears has done very well by offering choices of "good, better, and best." Why not Surefire?

Depending on what I am doing, I may not want 500 lumens. If I am checking out a bump in the night, I'd rather not put 500 lumens into the eyes of a family member who may have caused the bump. Even 200 lumens is more than I'd want to shine in their eyes as I try to identify them. I also might not want to have 500 lumens reflected back at me if I shine the light on a reflective surface.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I've read a couple of posts saying the LX2 Ultra has been cancelled? I hope it eventually shows up..

I won't ever sell my LX2. It's the perfect light. I bought one as soon as they were available and every minute I've worked on shift since it's been in my pants pocket. The ability to have two modes but still retain a very solid tactical switch is the best thing since LEDs in my opinion. If I could buy the E2DL with the same switch I'd probably buy 10 and use it for the rest of my life.. I'm not kidding. I love the UI so much I might actually buy some right now so I'll always have one.. I have always only bought single mode lights BECAUSE I hated the click to change mode types. My E1B has been the only I keep because I use it strictly for a pocket light 24/7. This light saved my life.. I could use the low mode for most things on the street and really in life and if I ever got into anything I could just press it a little further and be at high.. I had two modes but never had to worry about accidentally switching you know. Throw in the TIR, the SF build quality and the two way clip and IMO you have one of the best lights on the market.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys do know that the E2DLU head works on the LX2 body, right? I just got my E2DLU and it works.

Yup, my E2DL-U will be here Saturday. I'm afraid I will have to buy a new LX2 just to use frankenstein this stuff lol

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the LX2 is relevant. It is a unique interface. I have almost pulled the trigger on one a few times. I held off at first because of price, then a price drop with the ( so far ) empty promise of an updated 500 lumen version. So I wait for the new version and do not end up buying a brand new old version.
The times I find a used one for sale it is either sold, beat up, or the 2 way clip is missing. Always something wrong.
When I walk the dog I like to have my light on low and hit high momentarily to scan up ahead. The LX2 would be perfect. Some day.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the LX2 is relevant. It is a unique interface. I have almost pulled the trigger on one a few times. I held off at first because of price, then a price drop with the ( so far ) empty promise of an updated 500 lumen version. So I wait for the new version and do not end up buying a brand new old version.
The times I find a used one for sale it is either sold, beat up, or the 2 way clip is missing. Always something wrong.
When I walk the dog I like to have my light on low and hit high momentarily to scan up ahead. The LX2 would be perfect. Some day.

Again, someone should confirm, but I've been reading they cancelled production of the LX2 Ultra.. I'll go look for the post.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll never get rid of my LX2... flat 200 OTF regulated lumens, very nice low... perfect size... more lumens does not automatically mean better as we all know here... if I had a chance to pick mint LX2 for around $100 and brand spanking new E2DLU for $180, then the choice would be rather easy, at least for me...

Heard E2DLU to have slightly greenish tint... my LX2 is apparently 1D with very nice pure white 6000K... oh, it's only shelf queen now, if it matters... :)

Up All Night

Enlightened
Again, someone should confirm, but I've been reading they cancelled production of the LX2 Ultra.. I'll go look for the post.

Post #62 in the LX2 Lumamax Ultra thread, posted by brianna. That's the last I've read about this light.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
The LX2 is an awesome light... if you put a diffuser on it, it will do flood, and a huge amount of throw. If a 500 lumen version came out, I would only be interested if the runtime were the same. 200 lumens in such a focused beam is as much as I would ever need (of course a flashaholic always WANTS more, though. :) )

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll never get rid of my LX2... flat 200 OTF regulated lumens, very nice low... perfect size... more lumens does not automatically mean better as we all know here... if I had a chance to pick mint LX2 for around $100 and brand spanking new E2DLU for $180, then the choice would be rather easy, at least for me...

Heard E2DLU to have slightly greenish tint... my LX2 is apparently 1D with very nice pure white 6000K... oh, it's only shelf queen now, if it matters... :)
I have an LX2 and the beam and tint from the E2DLU is better.

I won't get rid of my LX2 now that we know we can built an LX2U out of an LX2 and E2DLU.

Bonus, if you put the LX2 head on an E2DL body, you have the elusive "since stage 200 lumen head with no sharp edges".

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes*

*if you press the LX2 switch all the way, the light goes to high, if you release, and press all the way again within a few seconds, the head will go to low on the second full press, at least on mine it does.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the LX2 Ultra uses the same head design as the E2D Ultra, then the standard version will be very relevant. The beam patterns of the standard E2D and the Ultra are very different.

My LX2 and E2D LED both have snow white tints, unlike my E2DL Ultra.

Grizz

BillSWPA

Enlightened
If I could buy the E2DL with the same switch I'd probably buy 10 and use it for the rest of my life..

I'll second this.

It would be really, really nice not to have to choose between the advantages of the E2DL and the advantages of the LX2.

Now, if Surefire would make such a light with the LX2 switching mechanism, extended but non-crenelated bezel, shrouded byt non-crenelated switch, and without the word "defender" on the side, that would be a perfect light.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't tempt me to get one before it's time... It is on my "to-get-list" but I got to keep the priorities straight... :)

It E2DLU head sure seems like a very powerful upgrade to e-series lego family...

Would anyone mind if Surefire would say "oh, what the heck... release the BLACK LX2U !!! Just anodize the old type body, re-do the tailcap guts, use E2DLU head with no crenelations and call it a day... :) THAT would go to the #1 spot on my list... and put my original LX2 on CPFMP...

iapyx

Enlightened
The LX2 is relevant to me as I don't have that many other lights it competes with.
FYI I have a U2, a UB3T and a few modified Maglights.
Due to it's size compared with its output the LX2 is my EDC.
Would I consider an LX2U? I don't know. Being a flashoholic it would be nice to own, but to be honest it would not really be necessary. 200 lumens does the job for me and in the rare event I need more Lumens the UB3T will do the rest.

if you'd ask me the same question about the U2A, then I would say yes, that one is less and less relevant to me. And there was a time I thought that the U2 would be my all time EDC. Apart from the low low which I really like.