Heat treating a SF

dansciurus

Newly Enlightened
So, I got my hands on an old 6P LED Defender. It was totally beat up. I am planning on doing something like cerakote or a custom annodizing.
But before I do that, I am still waiting on parts for my torchlab triple, and all the parts including trying to find a z41 tailcap. I got bored, and decided to hit her with a flame.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/sciurus_designs/EDC/DSCN2986.jpg

I can't do the tailcap, as its a z59, and I want to keep it good, maybe trade it for a z41, or sell it. But I did the body/head/bezel. The anno now is way weaker than it was as black. So, I will be stripping it down to bare, and getting cerakote(4bush) or a custom annodizing sooner or later here. I just wanted you all to see what it looked like heat treated. ( It starts out black, but I cooked it for way longer to get the lighter coloring, and to make the sf annodize weaker to strip it later.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/sciurus_designs/EDC/DSCN2988.jpg

Your images are oversize, when you post an image please remember Rule #3

Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels.

Please resize and repost. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't think you could heat treat aluminum. The anodizing is a chemical finish that oxidizes and hardens the aluminum.

dansciurus

Newly Enlightened
I didn't think you could heat treat aluminum. The anodizing is a chemical finish that oxidizes and hardens the aluminum.

You can't heat treat aluminum as itself. I baked the anodizing. It was the same black as the tailcap. When you heat the anodizing, it will change to a rust, rusty tan color. Type II ano.

It used to be black.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can cleanly strip the anodizing by soaking the parts in Greased Lightning cleaner...no need to use Dran-o and risk potentially pitting the metal (or sanding). When I stripped some Type II parts before, it only took about 30 minutes to completely remove the anodizing revealing shiny, bare metal...

dansciurus

Newly Enlightened
You can cleanly strip the anodizing by soaking the parts in Greased Lightning cleaner...no need to use Dran-o and risk potentially pitting the metal (or sanding). When I stripped some Type II parts before, it only took about 30 minutes to completely remove the anodizing revealing shiny, bare metal...

I just figured I would bake it and see how it looked. I just use oven cleaner and it comes right off.

It burns when I Tapatalk...