streamlight seige lantern

tritan

Newly Enlightened
Anybody have one of these it looks new. I want one but wonder if anybody has one yet?

video

TronPlayer

Newly Enlightened
I love lanterns and I'm sure this is a fine quality item. But, it doesn't interest me for two main reasons. First, D batteries ?? Is this the 80's ?? Second, it seems like a lot more lanterns would have a neutral or cool options by now. For me, it's absolute torture to work by a cool white light for too long.

tritan

Newly Enlightened
I love lanterns and I'm sure this is a fine quality item. But, it doesn't interest me for two main reasons. First, D batteries ?? Is this the 80's ?? Second, it seems like a lot more lanterns would have a neutral or cool options by now. For me, it's absolute torture to work by a cool white light for too long.

I though they said C batteries but either way they are old news but I could careless if it preforms well. I not to nervous about cool tint.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Large cell batteries are good for a lantern, need to maximize those mAh for lengthy power outages, it's not like you're going to be moving it around much anyway. Cool tint is a no-no though, once you've used cozy and welcoming warm light for the family room, you see how much it helps morale to not have to sit in cold and clinical office basement lighting. Could also use a much lower low mode, when it's just you and your eyes are already dark-adjusted; the red light is a gimmick for night vision, but the SOS option is nice.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's with the misleading lumen numbers? Unless I misunderstood the rather poor quality video they advertise numbers measured with the diffuser / cover removed. I realize it can be used with the diffuser / cover removed, but those aren't accurate lantern numbers.

NickBose

Enlightened
What is this C4 LED? They can't be making these themselves. Most LEDs come from a few large makers right? Like Cree, Luxeon (Philips), Osram, Nichia ...
If they buy LEDs somewhere, maybe they should leave the specs as is rather than rebadge them as "C4"
The lantern itself can be a special customised order of this Favourlight http://www.favourlight.com/2/product.php?id=646 however I may be wrong. (Favourlight output is ANSI 300)

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd bet anything it is a Favourlight. They OEM plenty of lanterns.

The difference is, if Streamlight is the retailer of these,
they should carry Streamlight's warranty.

I don't think it does anything super fantastic, but with the lifetime warranty, it isn't bad either.

I've said before how much I appreciate Favourlight's build quality over Coleman's,
and this continues in that tradition.

NickBose

Enlightened
What is this C4 LED? They can't be making these themselves. Most LEDs come from a few large makers right? Like Cree, Luxeon (Philips), Osram, Nichia ...
If they buy LEDs somewhere, maybe they should leave the specs as is rather than rebadge them as "C4"

It is an Osram LED (I read from a thread on SideWinder light where one asked Streamlight and that's what they replied)

Csp203

Newly Enlightened
I think c4 is just there name for an led. Like it is special or something. I would bet that c4 is different from light to light based on the output s.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
C4 is Streamlight marketing baloney for "We don't want to tell the consumer what is really in there" and that is all it means.

They've been using the name for years, and it proves a continual source of frustration for those in the lighting community who really want
to know what is hiding inside.

The LED inside should not be considered some sort of trade secret. Most manufacturers/dealers brag about the brand and bin of LED. Streamlight needs to acknowledge its consumers have brains and tell us what they are using.

tritan

Newly Enlightened
I want a "light a life" from goal zero type of light for my popup camper but just for the 40.00 light I have to buy a 200.00 battery pack . They don't sell a 120v version.Looking for some thing in led that I can hang from my awning and plug in. I started looking at the streamlight type lantern instead.

celler

Newly Enlightened
I also immediately wrote this lantern off due to the selection of the D cell for its power source. I'm not opening up another standby lantern just to find the alkaline D cells have leaked. Everything I have is going to low discharge NiMH or lithium. D cell NiMH are hard to find and expensive. I don't think I've even ever seen a D cell lithium. On that front, you might give Energiser's Light Fusion line a look. They all seem to use AAs and have good lumen ratings. Of course, you could always use AA to D adapters, but why not start out with a light that already has the capacity of 8 AAs like the Energiser.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also immediately wrote this lantern off due to the selection of the D cell for its power source. I'm not opening up another standby lantern just to find the alkaline D cells have leaked. Everything I have is going to low discharge NiMH or lithium. D cell NiMH are hard to find and expensive. I don't think I've even ever seen a D cell lithium. On that front, you might give Energiser's Light Fusion line a look. They all seem to use AAs and have good lumen ratings. Of course, you could always use AA to D adapters, but why not start out with a light that already has the capacity of 8 AAs like the Energiser.

you could buy AA to D Eneloop adapters...

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one a few days ago. I love the peeps at brightguy but unfortunately I didn't get it from them.

Anyway.... it's an AMAZING lantern. I know blah blah alks leak blah blah, but honestly with good cells I doubt it will be a problem. They weren't kidding when they say it's well constructed. The thing has a crazy solid feel with no rattle. The runtimes on it are very impressive too.

I'll probably try to make a review on it with good photos in the near future. I'd like everybody in the main led lights forum to see it though as it's a good piece of tech. It basically can be used as a flashlight too since you can remove the diffusion from the top and have the led's "exposed" just under a clear polycarbonate dome.

After the first weeks of me getting all my fun actually playing with it I'll probably buy good D cells and keep them out of the lantern until I want to use it or an emergency. It's supposed to run 12 days at 35 lumens I think--- I don't know if that's until 10% output or what but it's still impressive either way. I'll probably have to do an actual test on it then gauge it with exposures from my Nikons.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It looks nice, but already have plenty of lanterns bought years ago. That Streamlight offering really doesn't seem to offer anything that my older lanterns don't do.

celler

Newly Enlightened
you could buy AA to D Eneloop adapters...

You mean like I reference in the last sentence of my original post? Like I said, why limit yourself to the capacity of 3 AAs when other lanterns start out with 4 or even 8 AAs.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean like I reference in the last sentence of my original post? Like I said, why limit yourself to the capacity of 3 AAs when other lanterns start out with 4 or even 8 AAs.

Sorry, my ADD took over and I skimmed your post. My apologies.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't some of those aa to D adapters hold 2 aa's? I know I've seen 2aa to D adapters. Either way I still don't think D or AA alkalines leak nearly as much these days as they used to. I'd say as long as you don't let them sit years upon years they are fine. I keep eneloops and lithium aa's to use and as backup but I will keep a small rotation of D's for my Streamlight Seige now as well. When you DO need to use it this thing has incredible run time. I've had mixed usage between low-medium-high modes on it for more than a week straight now and it's still indicating "green" which I'm assuming is based off of the voltage.

I'm planning on getting some cto gels maybe 1/2 stop and cutting a grid pattern to try to make the light mixed between a warmer orange color and the white color. If I can get something good going it should have a really nice mixed output color temp.

Either way I'll give my thumbs up to this lantern again. People can say this is just another Coleman type led light, but honestly the build quality is way higher than any other led lantern I've ever seen.

tritan

Newly Enlightened
Good to know I will be putting this on my Christmas list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free