Thru Nite Neutron A1 vs Eagle Tac D25A

armstrg3

Newly Enlightened
Trying to determine which one of these is brighter? Seems the D25a is more of a flood with the neutral color and the neutron is more focused with a cool white tint. Anyone have experience that can help?:confused:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the Neutron 1A, but I do have the D25A NW XML (2012) and a ZL SC52 and test my lights with a light meter and try to triangulate with Selfbuilt's numbers. SB found the TN to be 240 lms, ZL to be 290 lumens and the D25 clickies (he didn't test the A) ~ 50% conservative. I calibrate to a TN/ET/47s lumen scale and so find my D25A to 125 lms and SC52 to be 200 lms, or ~ 60% brighter. On SB's scale, bump up the ET by ~50% "conservatism factor", and you have ~185 lms vs, TNs 240, vs ZLs 290 lms (~60% brighter than the ET). FWIW, I also have Quark AAX that I measure @ 160 lms on a TN/ET/47s scale, which would be about the same TN 240 lms on SB/ZL's scale, and right smack in the middle of the D25A and SC52.

All that said, without equipment, you are highly unlikely to visually perceive a 30% difference between the ET and TN especially considering the tint and beam shape differences.... I can't even really see the 60% difference between the ET & ZL due to tint alone. I would highly suggest you choose on other factors like UI, beam pattern, tint, mode spacing.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a 14500 they all output 500 lumens (manufacturer ratings) you should pick based on UI preference or other factors perhaps?

Ive had a Nuetron 1a for a long time, it came out pretty soon after XML's where released. It was one of the first pocket rockets. The d25a came out a fair while later. Now you can get them with xml2's but I'm not sure if it'll outperform the Nuetron.

The clip on the Eagletac is better for deep pocket carry, and the heads threads are better.