LSHF-P: Some Numbers and Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
There has been plenty posted on the LSHF-P so far. Hopefully no one will mind a few numbers and my take. I compared my favorite 3 lights - LSH-S #690, the new LSHF-P #1671, and a MM+Q3 Brinkmann 2xAA.

Numbers first.

THROW. I measured maximum brightness using the nightlight method. I assumed that the LSHF-P measured 745 lux since that's the figure listed on Peter's website. The other light lux readings are simply relative to the assumed LSHF-P figure.

LSH-S 444 lux
LSHF-P 745 lux
MM+Q3 Brinkmann 787 lux

TOTAL OUTPUT. I measured output by placing each light tight against the sensor of my photographic light meter. Very little light spilled out around the light heads. All 3 lights have similar head sides and spill amounts, so think the relative output figures are reasonably accurate. I assumed that the LSHF-P put out 22 lumens and worked out the other lights from that starting point.

LSH-S 18 lumens
LSHF-P 22 lumens
MM+Q3 Brinkmann 29 lumens

The LSHF-P has a larger hot spot than the other lights, but puts almost all of its light into that spot for greater throw. Finally, a 1x123 format light with almost the same brightness as my MM+Q3, and double the burn time too. Despite reports to the contrary, the Fraen does put out a little spill light that helps establish context when used in truly dark situations. The spill may be due to imperfections in the casting material.

Now for the comments.

I like this light. I will still use the LSH-S for medium range tasks where strong spill is helpful. The LSHF-P will probably get more use though. Its excellent throw and size/weight make it the best choice for jobsite use above ceilings and in unlit rooms. I'll also use the LSHF-P on my night runs. A little more spill would lend a more natural look to the road/path, but the extra throw does a better job freezing aggressive dogs.

Peter mentioned that the lights can be told apart by looking into the lens (with the light turned off of course). He never followed up with pictures, so I'll pass along the difference: the Fraen optic has a much thinner band of black between the inner and outer die images.

An aesthetic LSHF-P advantage: I see absolutely no farkle.

Conclusion: If buying only one LS, the best choice is probably the LSH-P. If buying two, I would probably go with my setup. The LSH-S and LSHF-P complement each other quite well.

A Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Dave Wright,
I just turn mine on to see which is the LSH-P and which is the LSHF-P /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
I'm just joking around with you. I like them both and I would hate to have to choose between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.