Orbita Lighthouse Revew - A Layman's Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Orbita Lighthouse Series

High-power, quality flashlights are generally a very utilitarian tool, usually valuing function over form and durability over aesthetics. There are a few manufacturers however that place a high value on the "luxury" end of the handheld illumination market.

Orbita Lighthouse

trans.gif
Meat and Potatoes

Orbita is a name that is relatively well known in the upper echelons of society for their quality automatic watchwinders. For those of you that like me, have rarely branched beyond the standard quartz movement, automatic winding mechanical watches are the type that contain a tiny weight connected to the winding mechanism that ratchets the watch spring tighter with the natural motion of your arm. Time spent sitting on your desk or in a case however is time that the watch is allowed to run down and eventually stop completely. The precision movements of these high quality watches benefit greatly from continued use, and so the concept of a watchwinder was born. It is a small device that sits on your desk and slowly rotates your watch to carefully keep it well wound and running smoothly.

In keeping with the precision that such a discriminating customer would expect, the Orbita Lighthouse flashlights are definitely built to exacting standards. First glance, especially at the base stainless steel model evokes a strong sense of familiarity. Indeed, my initial thoughts tying it to the distinctive Gatlight were well founded as I discovered Orbita was in contact with Lumencraft during planning phases. Sporting the same tie-rod structure of the Gatlight, but in steel, the Orbita Lighthouse is definitely a hefty torch. This weightiness lends itself to the solid feel that such a precision instrument demands. This is an impeccably well machined light that just feels good in the hand. I can't stop myself from randomly picking it up and fondling it just to feel how nicely constructed it is. There are no rough edges to catch, no loose fitting pieces to rattle. nothing sticks out more than it is intended. Well-constructed is a phrase that this light absolutely embodies.

Orbita Lighthouse

Powered by a single 18650 cell and sporting a Cree XP-G LED, the Lighthouse is no slouch. Putting out 350 lumens focused using a parabolic smooth reflector the Lighthouse's main beam is beautifully usable with a middle to tight focus. Orbita claims that their light is protected to an IP54 rating which only calls it splash-proof rather than capable of withstanding any form of submersion. While this is just a touch disconcerting, I don't believe this would be the type of light I would be looking to take swimming so I don't really see a problem.
Orbita has chosen the Lighthouse as this torch's namesake because of the inclusion of a quite interesting and I believe completely unique feature. Around head of the light, ringing the reflector is an octet of 5mm white LEDs that, when all lit, make for a fairly usable, albeit dim, area lantern. The visual effect is quite stunning and really sets off the lights singular construction as well. These secondary LEDs are also used for the Lighthouse's take on a beacon mode. Under this setting, the 5mm LEDs cycle lighting up 2 at a time around the light's head in a manner that definitely supports the nomenclature. There is no question why it is called the Lighthouse series.

Orbita Lighthouse

One of the nicest and most "Luxury" features being offered by Orbita is the build options that are available. Just because you choose a Lighthouse, doesn't mean your light looks the same as everyone else who does the same. There are 5 different finish options available from the base level stainless steel through beautiful carbon fiber and several quality, hand-turned woods. my personal thoughts are that the more industrial carbon fiber and pure SS models suit the appearance of the lighthouse series far better than the natural warmth of wood, but that is nothing but a personal preference. After using both for a decent amount of time I seriously have come to rest on the base SS as my favorite. Mostly this is due to the fact that I long ago fell in love with the aforementioned Gatlight, but I also appreciate the fact that the SS will not mar or scratch nearly as easily as the CF. I have had some personal experience working with carbon fiber in the past, and it is actually a softer, more scratchable material than you might expect. Aesthetically, it's amazing stuff, but the durability of SS has captured my heart.

Orbita Lighthouse

Constructive Criticism

While the construction of Orbita's initial foray into lighting more than lives up to the moniker of "Luxury", I have come to the regrettable conclusion that their electronics simply do not. To get things out into the open right away, this feels like the engine of a much lower quality light that was outsourced and dropped into these bodies. It is as if, after building the bodies up to extremely exacting standards, they allowed the electronics to be supplied by the lowest bidder. I'm simply going to list my gripes and make a broad, sweeping call for change.

First off, the Lighthouse is a 6 mode torch, where only two of them represent constant output, main beam light. With a UI that uses cyclical mode progression with memory, this means you have to cycle through 4 specialty modes every time you change output from low, back to high. A full ⅔ of the Lighthouse's modes are ones you will rarely, if ever, need or use. These should be hidden somehow. At the very least, getting rid of the mode memory would put them at the back end of the mode list, allowing you to use the flashlight as it is intended a much greater percentage of the time.

Orbita Lighthouse

Second, one of my personal pet peeves shows up when the light is in low mode. Output is controlled by a relatively low frequency PWM. I don't know what the rate is, but it is definitely enough to notice during daily use. I hadn't even thought to check until it caught my eye and forcibly announced its presence. My third complaint also ties in with the low mode. For some reason, every time you activate the light in low, about 2 seconds in it blinks. This feels exactly like the blink used by Balder and TaoTronics to signify the change between only constant output modes to the more frustrating line with specialty blinky modes included. The difference here though is it doesn't seem to affect anything, other than putting an annoying blink into your otherwise mostly useful light. If this serves some kind of purpose, I have yet to discover it, and not for lack of trying.

I don't know if it is simply my early release (possibly pre-release) review samples or if it is pervasive throughout the entire run, but there seems to be a parts discrepancy between the two models I received. The switches, tailcap covers and lanyards are all different. Even the LED tints are noticeably dissimilar, both on the XP-G and 5mm LEDs. It feels like they were trying to nail down a supplier and experimented a little during manufacturing. None of these components have any significantly more or less quality than the others (well, the lanyards are both pretty crappy, but I almost inevitably toss those aside anyway), they are just...different. The only real preference I had was for the XP-G that is in my Carbon Fiber Lighthouse. It is one of the warmest and creamiest LEDs I've yet used, very nearly a true Neutral White. I'm hoping these are simply indicative of initial testing, and not something that will continue to occur throughout the life of these products. Customers always want to be able to receive exactly what they expect, even if the differences do not detract from usability at all.

GITD Tailcap switch covers

Honestly, none of these problems render the light unusable. I am simply holding this light up to a higher standard of polish given the steeper price, Luxury branding and incredible build quality. Many of these same issues would easily pass muster in a more basic light and not cause much consternation for daily carry, but under this guise, more is expected. I would like to see Orbita seize these comments and run with them, turning out a vastly superior product for a 1.1 release.

Conclusions

The Orbita Lighthouse series is an incredibly well built, and beautiful collection of torches. I have very often seen much less excellent products turned out as initial releases. There are definitely some needs to address on the electronics side of the equation, but as a whole, these are quality lights. I am pleased to own such beautiful works of art, and happy to carry them for actual use at the same time. I will also be following this company closely to see if any improvements are made.

Orbita Lighthouse

Provided for review by Orbita.

Tyler A

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the review, I have been looking at these recently but have not made my final decision on getting one yet.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
this feels like the engine of a much lower quality light that was outsourced and dropped into these bodies. It is as if, after building the bodies up to extremely exacting standards, they allowed the electronics to be supplied by the lowest bidder. I'm simply going to list my gripes and make a broad, sweeping call for change.

Unfortunately it isn't a case of cheap electronics dropped into an expensive and 'unique' body, but merely a re-branding of what many would consider a 'cheap' light altogether with a few relatively minor, but admittedly positive, changes. Try searching for 'Uniquefire F8' or looking HERE to see the 'XG-V3', the 'Orbita' package deal even comes with a cheap charger and two Uniquefire branded 18650s!

This is a quote from Lumencraft, the makers of the original 'Gatlight', taken from the other thread on the Orbita.

Just so everyone is aware. The Orbita is actually just a very poor quality Chinese light that Chuck (Orbita) has decided to "dress up" and sell for a massive profit. These lights are extremely poor quality and our short conversations with Chuck proved to us that he was not interested in selling high quality product. The cheep 5mm LED's around the outside are a joke as is just about every other component in the light. Our lights are made from aerospace grade materials with very high precision manufacturing quality. I just want to confirm, with out a doubt, that these lights are absolutely re-dressed Chinese Ultrafire Gatlight knockoffs!

We have actually created a comparative study of the Orbita light and the Gatlight and if we can find some time we will try to share that with the CPF community. I'm sure you would all be very interested.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yikes. This really explains the issues I have with it. I still say the bodies feel solid on my two. I'm definitely going to have to have a chat with Walter and another with Chuck and see what's going on here. This is a bit disappointing to say the least. I had been led to believe these were far more locally sourced and unique than this.

Orbita Corp

Newly Enlightened
Yikes. This really explains the issues I have with it. I still say the bodies feel solid on my two. I'm definitely going to have to have a chat with Walter and another with Chuck and see what's going on here. This is a bit disappointing to say the least. I had been led to believe these were far more locally sourced and unique than this.

Sour grapes? I was surprised that the CP moderator allowed publishing such a "cheap shot" about our Lighthouse from Lumincraft who has never had one of our units to examine. Chuck

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well maybe the claim that they are 'extremely poor quality' is unfair, I certainly wouldn't go that far. But the claim that they are 're-dressed Chinese Ultrafire (Uniquefire) Gatlight knockoffs' is something that you can't credibly deny.

I'm not sure how they would've been able to create a comparative study of the Orbita and Gatlight without having one of your units to examine, so it would be interesting if they could go ahead and publish that for all to see.

PocketRocket

Newly Enlightened
Indeed, my initial thoughts tying it to the distinctive Gatlight were well founded as I discovered Orbita was in contact with Lumencraft during planning phases.
These lights are extremely poor quality and our short conversations with Chuck proved to us that he was not interested in selling high quality product.
Says it all really. This is despite the fact that I'd rather not make assumptions until both parties have spoken though Orbita has yet to come out and defend its product.

Having said that though just by looking at who Orbita has decided to source the light from along with its expected selling price this clearly seems to be a move to profit from the average retail channel consumer who doesn't know better.

And it'll probably work.

Last edited:

riccardo

Enlightened
To my opinion it's clearly a re-brand of the cheap Chinese copy of the Gatlight.
The only fact that the design is not original it's enough, even charger and batteries are clearly super-cheep.
The horrible electronic and modes arrangement it's proving it!

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've initiated some discussion between myself and the two parties involved in this. Once I have more information I will be posting the majority of it on my site so you and the rest of the world can informed decisions about this situation. I wanted this to be more than just single viewpoint opinions, so I'm doing what I can to get actual information out to the public.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mmace1

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I have to say...those actually look very hideous to me. It's nice to see some creativity, I feel like these would fit in with gaming PCs that have green neon on them, and other super-dork styles.

PocketRocket

Newly Enlightened
I've initiated some discussion between myself and the two parties involved in this. Once I have more information I will be posting the majority of it on my site so you and the rest of the world can informed decisions about this situation. I wanted this to be more than just single viewpoint opinions, so I'm doing what I can to get actual information out to the public.
Awesome. Do keep us posted! As mentioned I prefer not to make assumptions until both parties have spoken so it's good to see that you've taken the initiative to iron this out. Cheers!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
There has been an ongoing thread re the Orbita Lighthouse in this thread. No good reason to run two threads re the same subject matter with both threads going further, in discussion, than a review of the lights, the same material being repeated, more or less, in both threads. Closing this one.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.