My first attempt at a 3p style shortie using surefire parts only :)

jamie.91

Enlightened
Hey Cpf!

Finally Finished Phase one of my first Surefire Lego :)

I decided i wanted a shortie/3P type light so i set about finding parts, i didnt want to go the oveready/fivemega route as thats what most do, i wanted something as close to 100% genuine surefire as possible.

I first sourced a surefire L60. For anyone who doesnt know, a p60 type drop in wont fit an L60 without machining

Heres a pic to show how close it is to fitting.

as this is "phase one" i wanted to use as many stock parts as possible, so although it could be machined i wanted to avoid surgery for now, it may come later though ;)

so keeping within the stock parts parameters and as usual on a budget i found a Kx4 on the MP for the right money, the reason for this is it's a straight fit because of the spring/reflector arangement.

Im making another lego aswell at the moment which isnt finished yet but the standard tailcap on th 6P is being replaced so seen as i had a Z41 spare i decided to use it. Now seen as all my other surefires have mcclickys i decided i was going to use a ZeroRez for a change, that and it looks nice lol

By this point i had a light that i was happy with looks wise

I also tried it with a clicky out of curiosity, now im tort between the two :duh:

Now i had to get light from the handsome fella

I ran a 17500 at first with some magnets for spacers as it was slightly too short but the 4'ish volts wasnt quite enough to get full power (120 Lumens)

As you can see here two Cr123a's are way too long

Then i had an idea, why not run 2 Cr2's? that would give 6 volts and fit :YAY:

I should mention at this point that when trying new ideas you NEED a parts box to play with, heres mine :)

After fiddling with the spring on the KX4 and spacers another amazing idea came from nowhere, instead of cutting the spring to get the desired length, because remember we want to keep it stock for now, i decided that the light would be easier to operate if the head was the tiwisty rather than the tail seen as the anti roll bezel lands perfectly in your hand just between your thumb and finger! this would also make life easier in setting the battery length and stop rattle.

i added an o ring at the front as a damper.

as you can see its blue so ten times more amazing;)

as i tried it i realised the spring is a little long but in keeping with the stock parts thing for now i decided not to cut it down and save that for "phase two" if i decide to do so, but for now i added an o ring to fill the gap and keep the crud out.
This is the size of the gap

And with O ring

This is the end of "phase one" as it stands.

Concluding the first stage of the light my thoughts are mixed so i've decided to leave it as it is for a while and try it, if i think it could be better i will move onto phase two that will involve machining the body. i wanted to do it this way first to show its possible without machining as some people dont have access to lathes and such.

Over all i'm happy with the outcome, even though the gap between the body and the head is a little big its silky smooth and EASILY operable with one hand, this makes it easier to hold the light in and EDC way rather than a tactical grip. This was an unexpected game changer but i love it, i never planned it initially but i'm so glad that it turned out this way.

My ideas for the second stage i'm not sure on yet, and id love to hear your feedback and suggestions!

My first thought was to machine the body to use a p60 but im in love with the KX4 beam pattern :LOVE: its such a shame it has a nasty tint and ever so slightly under powered for me, id imagine 200 to 300 neutral lumens would be perfect for me.
I also considered machining the bottom of the tailcap ( the part before the threads ), the threads on the L60 are shorter than usual so i would benefit from more thread contact and a shorter overall length, even though i could shorten the spacer i'm not sure how it would look as there would be a silver band visible between the tailcap and body.

sorry for the long post and i hope its of interest to someone:)

Thanks
Jamie

jamie.91

Enlightened
I was expecting a little more interest but nobody seems to fussed, I was thinking about making a very short video to show the twisty at the head but I'll probably leave it.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice light, it looks like an excellent alternative to the rare Surefire 3P. You could change the LED to a XP-G2 Neutral white for a few more lumens.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could bore the tube to accommodate a single AW 18500 cell.

jamie.91

Enlightened

I was considering sending the KX4 to vinh for modding but I'm still not sure yet!

If or when the time for surgery comes I'm not sure weather to take it to 18mm or not:/ a 17500 fits so perfectly and at the moment it's running on 2 cr2's which are only 15mm anyways, if I bored the top to take a P60 then I would probably bore the tube to 18mm as I'd not be running cr2's.

BUT... After making it a twisty at the head I think I've changed my mind on a p60 drop in and I would like to stick with the KX4 head so I can keep it a twisty at the head :]

Here's what it looks like as a clicky

IMG_3560.jpg

Last edited:

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
Your 3P rocks, this is my version using the tail and bezel from an Oveready 6P 'Smoothie' with the hex machined off the head and then anodised. The body is an Oveready affair and the drop in is one of Vin's custom XM-L2 beasts running 5.6a (I think) for about 1300-1400 lumens. Great self defence light regarding a quick blast to the peepers.

7y8yde8y.jpg

8y6yzaru.jpg

jamie.91

Enlightened
Thanks!

Love your 3P, I tried to get a smoothie originally but I couldn't find one:( if I had I would have used a z59 too :)

jamie.91

Enlightened
Your 3P rocks, this is my version using the tail and bezel from an Oveready 6P 'Smoothie' with the hex machined off the head and then anodised. The body is an Oveready affair and the drop in is one of Vin's custom XM-L2 beasts running 5.6a (I think) for about 1300-1400 lumens. Great self defence light regarding a quick blast to the peepers.

7y8yde8y.jpg

8y6yzaru.jpg

Also does yours have an o ring or something between the tailcap and body? It's hard to tell on my small Iphone screen

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
Yes the ring is a glow in the dark affair which fits the small gap perfectly. I have an Oveready 'Triad' tailcap and Cryos finned head which is a lot more aggressive than this set-up but a little bulkier and harder on the pockets due to the sharp scalloped bezel insert.

3ave3y4y.jpg

The 3P I was describing can be seen above.

jamie.91

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply

The light looks cool but im not a fan of the triad tailcap:/ i wouldnt mind a cryos for my 9P though!

If your using the cryos I would buy the smoothie ;)

Last edited:

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
Yes the ring is a glow in the dark affair which fits the small gap perfectly. I have an Oveready 'Triad' tailcap and Cryos finned head which is a lot more aggressive than this set-up but a little bulkier and harder on the pockets due to the sharp scalloped bezel insert.

[IG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/15/3ave3y4y.jpg[/IMG]

The 3P I was describing can be seen above.

I really like the look of that cren bezel on the cryos, mine will be here tomorrow (going on my 6P, my larger EDC) and I got a xeno SS flat bezel but that looks awesome, I gotta ask tho, what's all the labeling on the top of it say?

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
The text just says Xeno blah, blah. Nothing interesting I can assure you.

And

Nothing for sale at the moment, sorry.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Surefire bored (machined) LU60, A21, R30 light assembly, Classic 6P bezel and tailcap.

jamie.91

Enlightened
Surefire bored (machined) LU60, A21, R30 light assembly, Classic 6P bezel and tailcap.

Very cool! The tailcap finished it off perfectly along with the head! If only the LU60 didn't have the anti roll feature it would look pretty darn close to a real 3P