What comes after XP-G2?

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I was all set to upgrade my lights, but the XP-G2 was a rather lackluster as an upgrade...

...anyone know what comes next, and when it might start showing up in lights?

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
ooh, that's a very general topic, not LED flashlights?

NorthernStar

Enlightened
A year ago (Juli 2012)the XP-G2 was launched by Cree. Upgrades are released in intervals about every 12 months or 24 months,so it might be an upgrade around Cristmas(hopefuly),otherwise sometime during the next year. What comes after XP-G2?-well it might have the name XP-G3?:)

A10K

Newly Enlightened
Going by the dates on the press releases, the original XP-G was announced September 2009, and the XP-G2 was July 2012. The interval was substantially larger for the XP-E/XP-E2, and less for the XM-L/XM-L2.

I think the answer you came here looking for your question "What comes after XP-G2" was "XP-G3". However, I will submit that the proper answer is "Lights that take advantage of the XP-G2".
Replacing a cool white XP-G2 into a light that formerly had a cool white XP-G will yield only marginal results; however, since the release of the XP-G batteries and manufacturing standards have come much further, and the XP-G2 overdrives well. Take the Armytek Predator line, which rather than just straight replacing the XP-G, they increased the current draw, making even the 4000K neutral/warm substantially brighter than the cool-white XP-G R5 version.

agent80

Newly Enlightened
Its about time Cree released something 4 times brighter than the XP-G2. These 10% increments in lumens make no difference to the eye at all.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XP-G2 is a substantial improvement over the XP-G; much more so than XM-L2 over XM-L. Not only the 7-10% output at lower levels but it handles higher current much better, so that difference is higher the harder you drive them. On top of that the viewing angle is smaller so lights with XP-G2 can be substantially throwier than an XP-G even at the same output levels. Furthermore, tint across the beam seems much better also, so you don't get tint variation from hotspot to corona so much as with gen 1 XP-G.