My 'blinking' DDR30 is now....

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Heading north via post back to the seller (China).

Once he knew I'd tried both decent protected and decent unprotected, and it still just blinks he said it must be faulty and asked me to return it to him.

I purchased it through eBay and the seller is willing to pay me the $30.60 it'll cost to return it ... :thumbsup:

When it worked i was well impressed with it, and it's a decent flashlight to compare my cheap eBay efforts, so have asked for a replacement over a full refund.

He reckons he'll post ASAP and if so it should be with me in 10 - 12 days 'ish.

Will update if and when it arrives ... :)

Paul_DW

Enlightened
In possession...

And working fine! ... :)

I took 3 x Panasonic Unprotected cells out with me today to test it once I picked it up from the post office, but this is the unit with 3 x so called crap Ultrafire cells in it...

This unit has worked fine with whatever brand of cell I put in it. The only difference is the battery indicator will be on 8 with the Panasonic's and like 5 with the Ultrafire's, both fully charged!

Sooooooo, as I said it was the unit that was faulty NOT the quality of the cells! ... ;)

Anything you need to know just ask me! ... :D

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I certainly don't regret suggesting that you try different cells. I've read MANY many many threads where somebody was having a problem with a high performance light, whether it was flickering or just odd behavior, and after changing to new, higher quality cells their problems suddenly cleared up.

And to be clear, it's not necessarily that some of these companies are selling ALL bad batteries (or flashlights), it's usually that with their less expensive price comes a trade-off in quality control, so that you're taking a bit of a gamble when you purchase their products. Sometimes you'll win, sometimes you'll lose.

My main thrust in recommending a cell from a major manufacturer is that when using a high performance light, such as the one you just received, you are putting greater than normal demands on the cells, and having read what can happen when things go wrong with lithium-ion cells, it simply seems to me to be the more prudent path to invest in the highest quality cells you can afford.

In any case, I'm pleased as punch that you've finally gotten a working light and I hope it serves you well. It looks like a hum dinger. Enjoy :)!

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Well, I certainly don't regret suggesting that you try different cells. I've read MANY many many threads where somebody was having a problem with a high performance light, whether it was flickering or just odd behavior, and after changing to new, higher quality cells their problems suddenly cleared up.

And to be clear, it's not necessarily that some of these companies are selling ALL bad batteries (or flashlights), it's usually that with their less expensive price comes a trade-off in quality control, so that you're taking a bit of a gamble when you purchase their products. Sometimes you'll win, sometimes you'll lose.

My main thrust in recommending a cell from a major manufacturer is that when using a high performance light, such as the one you just received, you are putting greater than normal demands on the cells, and having read what can happen when things go wrong with lithium-ion cells, it simply seems to me to be the more prudent path to invest in the highest quality cells you can afford.

In any case, I'm pleased as punch that you've finally gotten a working light and I hope it serves you well. It looks like a hum dinger. Enjoy :)!
I hear you, but I guess it was just how it worked fine for first hour or so with the Ultrafire cells, THEN started playing up! I could understand if it was playing up from the off, but it wasn't and why I thought the unit must be faulty!

Anyway, you're not as pleased as me and have been playing about with it all evening on and off including a mooch around in the loft for 10 mins with it as a circuit breaker keeps tripping! ... :(

Gets quite hot that's for sure, but as you say the flashlight is putting quite a high demand on the cells, which incidentally have gone from a level 8 to 5 now and I've used it a fair bit! ... :)

I've got a good few decent sells from Sanyo & Panasonic now and will use them for my 'decent' flashlights. The Ultrafire's can be used accordingly with the cheap eBay stuff that I have.

I've got a few other decent flashlights in transit (TK41, TK75, MX3 and a TN30) so once here I'll start my own beamshot thread as I LOVE pictures of me beamshots!

I'm originally from London and used to drive a Black Cab for a living. In the days of the USL I used to throw pics up on here of famous London Landmarks to show how good the thing was. I was forced to sell up not long after arriving here due to money probs, but the time has come to start again ... :)

A couple of pics from the 'good ole days' ...

The USL and Westminster Abbey...

A shot from my old 'Supernova' which is basically a Maxabeam copy across the River Thames to the Battersea Power Station...

DO love me pics! ... :)

Oh and thanks for the reply. Nothing like the feeling of talking to yourself ... :D

Scourie

Enlightened
Glad to hear you're finally sorted. You shouldn't go wrong with quality cells, but often do with cheap ones.

Rob (ex London too)

Paul_DW

Enlightened
hmmm....TK75 and a TN30....would be interested to here your thoughts on those two when they arrive...
Next week sometime I hope to see them both.

Incidentally the DDR30 is running like a dream. Still on the original cells (power level 4 now), altho aint doing too much with it apart from usual "Hey is this yours?" as I BAAAAM family members in the face with it ... :D

Lights my 'reference' tree outside my house up well too! ... :)

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad that the new light is working great. Nothing pissed me off more than a light that is DOA.

Paul_DW

Enlightened
I'm glad that the new light is working great. Nothing pissed me off more than a light that is DOA.
More so when you've purchased a heap of 'cheap' flashlights from eBay and all faultless, only to find that the first 'decent' flashlight you buy plays up from the start!

Anyway, the seller paid me $30 to ship it back to HK which was decent of him as not his obligation really, and prob why I went on to spend another $350 with the guy! ... :)

One missed call

Newly Enlightened
Imo, DOA is better than having an intermittent problem which I keep thinking is resolved only to come up again. My DDR30 has been acting up (shuts down after a few moments of use) over the last month and everytime I think I have found the cause it pops up again after a week of sparse use.

Shame because I really like this one; appears to have been bad out of the box.

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Imo, DOA is better than having an intermittent problem which I keep thinking is resolved only to come up again. My DDR30 has been acting up (shuts down after a few moments of use) over the last month and everytime I think I have found the cause it pops up again after a week of sparse use.

Shame because I really like this one; appears to have been bad out of the box.
Under warranty?

If so I'd be sending it back. My replacement has been faultless since I got it, and it just works now. No ifs or butts, just works every time.

One missed call

Newly Enlightened
I believe it is under warranty. Speaking with the vendor now; we'll see what happens but I believe he'll do right by me.

The issue I have is the problem is intermittent and infrequent. If I wasn't such a perfectionist I'd just let it be. But I want my lights to be perfect.

Under warranty?

If so I'd be sending it back. My replacement has been faultless since I got it, and it just works now. No ifs or butts, just works every time.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, Paul. I'm glad to hear there have been no problems with your replacement light. It looks like a humdinger of a light.

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Hey, Paul. I'm glad to hear there have been no problems with your replacement light. It looks like a humdinger of a light.
Yeah awesome flashlight too, love it!

I'd return it no matter how little it played up. Even once is too many times IMHO.

My first DDR30 was a bit hit and miss, and once it was working I loved it, but it'd soon go into 'blink' mode and it just wasn't on for the kind of money we pay for these flashlights. I too am a bit of a perfectionist and yeah, don't want any faults with any of my flashlights, even cheapies from eBay!

If the vendor is decent just get a swapout and be done with it I reckon, as you know the next time it plays up will be JUST when you want it NOT to!