Olight M3X Triton Runtime ??

Jeff P

Newly Enlightened
I just got one and took it out spotlighting ,, only turning it on for about 30-60 seconds at a time on the 1000 Lumen and the 300 Lumen Mode alternately . After about half an hour to 45 mins it started flashing so put some new batteries in and away I went ,,, still only lasted about the same time !!! Supposed to get 5 hours on the 300 Lumen mode , but today I timed it and got 1 hr 15 mins !!
I am using Ultrafire batteries ,, the blue ones bought off Ebay , rated at 3800 MA H .
Have I got a dud torch or dud batteries ? Opinions please .
Also would be interested to hear what others who own this torch think of it .
I love the thing ,, but am REALLY disspointed with battery life so far . Have some other batteries coming to check that .
Thanks ,
Jeff

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would appear that you have rubbish batteries. Try AW 18650 3100mAh cells.

BadBulb4U

Newly Enlightened
I use EAGTAC 3400mAH batteries and I have not run out of power in an hour's use of low and high modes when walking the dog. Still have power to spare. I never tested to see how long I could run on them, so I can't say how long they would last. But I can walk for a few miles using the light.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh my yes, no wonder you got bad run time. Ultrafire batteries are trash as a rule. In addition, currently the highest capacity 18650's available are 3400 mAh, anything claiming to be more is a certainly a lie. AW is considered the most popular brand. I use Callies Kustoms most often. XTAR, Eagletac, Redilast, Nitecore are all good too. Judging by the run times I got on my M3X, I'd guess your Ultrafires may be as low as 1000 mAh. They usually get the batteries rejected by laptop battery manufacturers from what I understand.

Jeff P

Newly Enlightened
Oh my yes, no wonder you got bad run time. Ultrafire batteries are trash as a rule. In addition, currently the highest capacity 18650's available are 3400 mAh, anything claiming to be more is a certainly a lie. AW is considered the most popular brand. I use Callies Kustoms most often. XTAR, Eagletac, Redilast, Nitecore are all good too. Judging by the run times I got on my M3X, I'd guess your Ultrafires may be as low as 1000 mAh. They usually get the batteries rejected by laptop battery manufacturers from what I understand.

Thanks Mate . I bought some more Ultrafires ( before I saw this reply ) on the advice of a fellow Aussie over here who is a torch nut as well ... I got them and put them in my Olight and they died in THREE MINUTES on the 1000Lumen setting ! :fail: Just siting here now with light on in the 1000Lumen mode with the 3 CR 123's in them , been running for 20 minutes and seems to be going well ... torch a bit hot though . But at least it is still going :)

Last edited:

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Yeah as others have said, get some decent cells. Panasonic & Sanyo I use now over the Ultrafire crap I originally bought.

All from eBay - China, and last lot I purchased were $6.50 ea with free postage ... :)

I have one of these flashlights with the carrier pigeon at the mo so keen to see how it performs.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW 18650 3400mAh
Too expensive, then Eagletac 18650 3400mAh

Beware I have had some problems with some other high capacity cells, which are good, but not necessarily good for this particular model.

I am using AW 18650 3100mAh because they have never caused me any issues and I like my lights to work every time without fail.

coconutz

Newly Enlightened
Ultrafire=Ultracrap. Evrery one of the UF batteries that I bought failed. They die even quicker when you use 2 at the same time (2X18650 or 2X18500 in a torch). The protection circuit fails. They do last a little longer when you only need 1 in a smaller flashlight.
Either way, I wouldn't waste a penny on UFs.

Jeff P

Newly Enlightened

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Still worried about buying those . As you said , you get what you pay for and these are cheap as well ,, starting to get a stock pile of useless batteries here !!!!
Sorry mate I can't force others to post. People read, people have opinions, yet don't reply.

Can't work it out for the life of me!

Oh and these cells work a treat in all my hungry flahlights. DDR30, TN30, and the TK-75 ... no drama's! ... :)

Jeff P

Newly Enlightened
OK , I'll grab some and see how they go . Can they be used in series as they dont have the nipple ?

Last edited: