Basic Emitter Swap - Shiningbeam P-Rocket

Tiresius

Enlightened
A friend came by and asked if there was a way to improve the overall output of his light. I took a look at its internals and the module it came in. I came to a conclusion that regardless of how hard we can push it, the module is not thermally capable of pushing for a long period of time above 3a.

Seeing that the light uses an XM-L T5 NW emitter, he was considering two options for his application. Go CW and get more output OR go MT-G2. Instead, I recommend that he upgrade to an XM-L2 90+ CRI 2900k CCT.

Once the swap was done, he was so happy that the light was a tad bit brighter but it resembles an incandescent. It was nowhere as close as the rendition of an incan but he was more than satisfied with the results.

I'll let you see for yourself why he loves his light now. Please note that one shiningbeam belongs to my neighbor who was happy enough to lend me his light for a short photo shoot. He wants his light modded too after seeing what my friend's went through. I just hope IS still has the emitters around.

The three lights: (Left) Surefire 6P w/triple 219 @ 3.08a, (middle) Shiningbeam P-Rocket XM-L T5 NW, (Right) Shiningbeam P-Rocket XM-L 90+ CRI 2900k CCT.

Business Ends:

Close-up of the XM-L2:

Control Shot with Incandescent Bulbs:

Stock P-Rocket T5 NW @ low mode:

Surefire 6P w/triple 219 @ low mode:

Mofidifed P-Rocket 90+ CRI 2900k CCT @ low mode:

Stock P-Rocket T5 NW @ high mode:

Surefire 6P w/triple 219 @ high mode:

Modified P-Rocket 90+ CRI 2900k CCT @ high mode:

The images look almost the same. What is the difference? Watch how the colors get washed out at high mode for the 219 and stock version. The modified P-Rocket barely got washed out. This is why my friend was so happy about. Even at the highest, the color wash-out was minimal.