Gtamazing

Newly Enlightened

Turning the Heatsink.

Pocket for the H6CC

Driver installed

MKR on Aluminum SinkPad

Top loader anyone?

About level with the top of the tube

Fivemega 5x26500 host with matching head.

Driver is set at the rated current of 1.25A power is 4 18650's that will be replaced with Keeppower 26650 4ah cells when that arrive. The reflector is the DX sst-90 73mm

Last edited:

Epsilon

Enlightened
I'm still not to sure about the MK-R to be honest. The specs aren't what I was expecting it to be. I really wonder what happens with a direct to copper PCB and higher drive currents.

Nice work BTW :). How is the donut hole, is it OK or non existent at higher distances? :)

Gtamazing

Newly Enlightened
with the 73mm smooth reflector donut hole is there but can be focused out with a turn or so. I also tried a 52mm orange peel in a regular mag head with no donut at all. I'm gonna look for a big textured reflector to permanently solve the problem cause it bothers me. I like to see some testing too on the MKR, the driver has got plenty left in it. Just not sure what the emitter can do so I'm taking it easy(for now :devil:)

Tiresius

Enlightened
Excellent machining and love the smooth finish on it without the need to polish it. Any beamshots for us nosy ones?

Tiresius

Enlightened
What kind of bit did you use to cut that clean? What speed and did you manually do the final pass? I could only get that finish "IF" I manually control the final pass.

Gtamazing

Newly Enlightened
What kind of bit did you use to cut that clean? What speed and did you manually do the final pass? I could only get that finish "IF" I manually control the final pass.

The insert is a Valenite cngp 33007sr. The insert has a serious rake angle and a super small rad. RPM is about 1000,feed was auto like .003/rev, and doc .002 per side. Not to sure about you level of machining skills but sometimes too slow of a feed gives a shitty finish. A long continuous chip is a bit of a pain but an indicator of a good surface finish.

Last edited:

bikerjay

Newly Enlightened
Very nice lathe work. I will be using an MKR in an upcoming build and I am trying to decide if the copper pcb from cutter is worth it in terms of 14 dollar shipping. The mouser/digikey sinkpad option is appealing from a savings standpoint. Of course I have never reflow soldered before so that has me concerned but I have a friend that may be able to do the reflow for me at work.

I hear LEDsupply.com will be carrying this soon, I wonder how soon.

My project will be a bike light so I am going to use one these for a host - http://www.easy2led.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=194
It will be powered with a 4s lipo pack I have and a rather old bfex v2.0 1A should make for long run times and it should handle the heat easily. The mkr seems like it was built for this.

Optics are a tough point for me, thinking ledil EVA or fraen reflector.
Any advice for a 35mm form factor optic?

Latest posts