Request help with DuraHyrbid AAAs

bmoorhouse

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased several new black-topped 800 mah DuraHyrbrid AAAs and wanted to Refresh/Analyze them in my MH-C9000 in order to put them into paired sets. I set the C9000 to charge at 400 ma and discharge at 200 ma.

Last night, I put four in the C9000 and went to bed. This morning, two were finished with 692 and 703 mah. The other two, however, were in a rest period. The display indicated that 3996 and 3999 mah had been pumped into them during the previous charge cycle. I was hoping some of the users here could answer a few questions for me ...

1. Any ideas as to why these cells missed termination so badly? I know this would occassionally happen with AAAs in the original C9000, but I was using the second version of the charger with the 1.47 v cutoff.

2. Having missed the normal termination, what ultimately ended their charge cycle? Both cells terminated within a minute of each other. Is it based on time (ie 10 hours)?

3. How much damage was likely done to these two cells? Is there anything I should do to minimize the impact?

Thanks for the help.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Missing termination can happen with old or new battery`s, that`s why i do a break-in/forming charge on my C9000 , the battery`s should charge fine after that.

I dont know how much damage has been done, but if you do a break-in charger on the 4 and compare the results, then you should give you some idea.
John.

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bmoorhouse,

There are fewer AAA cells made than AA cells. This means that you have a better chance of getting older stock with the AAA cells. Cells that have been stored for an extended period of time often have charging issues until they have been cycled and brought back to vibrant life. With AAA cells you should start with a Break-In rather than Refresh/Analyze.

I believe the C-9000 terminates at something around 4500 mAh, so you were close but not quite there. Your cells must have finally reached the 1.47 volt termination or there could have been a -dV termination signal.

As far as damage goes, you should follow John's advice and run a Break-In.

Tom