New Nitecore MT21A

tam17

Enlightened
10k cd is pretty cool for 2xAA, tho dual controls are a bit awkward and there's no real Low mode. I wonder what PBI would be possible with XR-E2 (if it existed) in a same reflector diameter?

Cheers

markr6

Flashaholic
NICE CLIP and ANTI-ROLL DESIGN. Is the economy so bad we need to shave a $0.18 part off a $50 (or whatever) light? Good luck with the "every day carry" aspect of this light as they call it - seems like carrying a broomstick in your pocket.

njet212

Enlightened
Looks neat and very interesting, while the other manufacturers using xpg2 and xml2, nitecore is using xpe2.

The other interesting thing is the tail cap, they don't use hybrid tails cap which is you can do tail stand and momentary activation. I think every tail cap should be design this way make it fully tail stand or not.

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
The other day I was wishing Fenix updated their E25. This looks a bit like an updated E25, different switch but the basic design is reminiscent. Also the led. The E25 uses an XP-E. That poopy little lanyard hole is a joke though...

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
NICE CLIP and ANTI-ROLL DESIGN. Is the economy so bad we need to shave a $0.18 part off a $50 (or whatever) light? Good luck with the "every day carry" aspect of this light as they call it - seems like carrying a broomstick in your pocket.
LOL! Totally agree with you. It just looks like a even more budget version than the already-budget MT series!

Besides, they don't even seem to have addressed the weaknesses of the MT series:
- Unhidden disco in the user defined mode
- Mode changing with just one click which makes it too easy to accidentally jump to next brightness and forces you to cycle through as many as 5 levels!
- The clips of the MT series were cheap and instead of coming with something better they ditched them!
- The lower low is too bright for a multi-mode light, just like all their 2xAA or 2xCR123 lights!

Even removed the crenelation and it looks like it won't even tailstand: I thought they were the only two nice features of these lights!
I'd seriously go scavenging for used candles in trash cans before spending any money on flashlight like that!

The only interesting factor is the XP-E2 and lux for longer throw but they could have offered an XP-E2 version of that MT2A instead of coming out with this junk!

Last edited:

Kokopelli

Enlightened
Come on guys. It is only a $30 light. Direct competitor to Fenix E21, and this one has more modes, more lumens, farther throw.

Ventsi

Newly Enlightened
I got it today in my mailbox – bought from eBay
First impressions:
- Excellent build quality
- Beautiful design
- Square threads
- Well balanced weight, very pleasant to the touch and while holding it
- LED is perfectly centered
- Modes are working as supposed

Performance:
With not-so-freshly-charged GP ReCyKo 1.2V it throws better than my Balder SE-1 (R3) and two pieces Xtar WK26, both on 14500 Li-ion, also not very fresh. Hotspot is slightly larger, brightness of the hotspot is noticeably higher and beam itself is also brighter. I'm currently charging two Sony LSD batteries and I also have some eneloops in my VHF radio which I will try later on, but I guess there won't be much difference.

Unfortunately I don't have the equipment nor the knowledge to take proper beamshots, but this is the best AA-powered thrower I've had. I really hope they introduce a 1×14500 version of this light.
One question, do you guys think I could use just one 14500 3.7V battery and a dummy battery? Or at least LiFePo4 at 3.2V? Nitecore says nothing about the accepted voltage, in the papers that came with the light it just says that 14500 are not supported but of course 2×14500 would be too much of a voltage for the pood LED.
However they say 2×1.5V AA is possible, so there's a chance 1xLiFePo4 could be fine. And I think 3.2V compared to 2.4V provided by the 2xAA would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on guys. It is only a $30 light. Direct competitor to Fenix E21, and this one has more modes, more lumens, farther throw.
The MT2A seels for $35: was there a point to strip it of all its basic feature to save $5 on the final sales price? I understand wanting to introduce a 2xAA throwy light, that's actually a nice move but they could have just swapped the LED and reflector in the MT2A and sold a better light all-together!

Ventsi

Newly Enlightened
Having played with the flashlight for two nights and put some fresh Sony LSD batteries, I can definitely say that this is the best AA thrower I've seen. My old 14500 throwers are kinda "meh" now.

Does anybody has experience with Nitecore 2xAA lights and LiFePo4 batteries? I'm thinking of having one 3.2V LiFePo4 and one dummy battery. Do you guys think I could burn the emitter?

Neginfluence04

Newly Enlightened
Bought my MT2A from amazon for $27.00 shipped and so far mine has survived a flight of stairs, the washing machine, the dryer, and my mother n laws in ground 10" pool.

8steve88

Newly Enlightened
I carry an MT2A for my main light and it's never let me down. Good light for the money and the new MT21A should be better, I never use a pocket clip normally on light or knife so that doesn't bother me. I run it on 2 AA 2850mAh NiMH's so it doesn't cost much to run.

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
What a sweet little light. I've bought an fenix e21 and e25 before, but this one will supplant them both. I wonder how the modes will work though. It has a forward clicky and the head twists for user defined modes. Does that mean that tightened head has the strobe and turbo and the loosened has the 3 lower modes? If so, does that mean you can't really do any signaling with the forward clicky as it'll just switch through each modes with a half press?

JJohn

Enlightened
I am very intrigued. I have been looking to replace my Fenix E25 dogwalking light for some time now. A lower output for checking on the pup when she is right next to me (without blinding her), more throw when she is off leash, no need to go through flashy modes when going from low to high and back, and quick access to high are all good things in my opinion. I still would like to understand the UI better before I order one. Can anyone who already has one help us out here?

I am a little bummed that the light cannot tail-stand and doesn't have an even lower setting but, there doesn't seem to be any (1 or 2) AA throwers that do everything that I want. The EA1 comes pretty close but I just hate the small buttons being so close together. I always have to fiddle around to hit the mode rather than the On/Off button. I want to be able to instantly go from low to high without any hesitation (Is that black thing up ahead a cat or a skunk?). That is critical to me and seems to be solved on the MT21A.

Last edited:
Just got my MT21A today. I've recently bought a few of the MT2a's and have been VERY impressed with them for AA lights, and carry one while working (Fire/EMS), as well as in my pocket as my EDC light, and have another that's attached to my shoulder holster for my HD setup. In fact I was so impressed with them I bought a bunch to give to family members as well. When I saw the MT21a out I figured I'd try it and see if that was better suited for work over the MT2a.

I haven't had a lot of time to play with the 21a yet but here's a few initial unscientific impressions. Right out of the box it had the same "extra's" that my 2a's came with save for a pocket clip. It's almost identical in size to the MT2a with the exception of a slightly larger, smooth head (Batteryjunction lists the head sizes as 1" for the 21a, and .88" for the 2a) with cooling fins and absent the 2 flat areas along the battery tube that the MT2a has.

The hot spot is tighter on the 21a and noticably brighter to the eye. However it doesn't appear to be as "refined" as the 2a's. The 2a's I have all have a nearly perfect circular hot spots with clearly defined edges while the hot spot of the 21a doesn't appear as defined and while looking at the reflector it looks like there may be very slight ripples in it which may be what is causing the difference. The 2a's also have a little brighter spill area as opposed to the 21a but that's understandable considering this light is designed to be a thrower.

User interface is the same for both and I actually like the interface.

Some other minor things about it that 21a that I don't care for as others here have said is the lack of a pocket clip and the new tail cap that doesn't have the protective "wings" like the 2a's do. They're minor differences that to me are kind of big as I like having a pocket clip for all my AA lights, and I also like the ability to tailstand and like having the button protected while it's in my pocket like the 2a's have. The new tailcap seems identical otherwise. Why Nitecore did this I don't know but I don't care for it.

So for final thoughts It's a good, bright, 2xAA throwing light and appears to be just as well built as my 2a's. It does seem to be just a bit less "refined" than my 2a's (judging by the very slight ripples in the reflector) perhaps this is due to initial manufacturing bugs that will be worked out, and I think Nitecore did it a disservice by going with a different tailcap and not including a pocket clip, but it does also cost less than the 2a which is maybe how they justified it. I'd rather pay a few dollars more and have a full featured light. I actually swapped out the tailcap with the 2a from my HD setup so it has the ability to tailstand.

Last edited:
Update 9/30/2013:
I've had some time to play around with the 21a (at night out to about 75-100yds) and it is more of a thrower than the 2a, no surprise there right... I think that unless you're looking specifically for a thrower though I'd stick with the 2a. The 2a just seems to be more of a good general purpose light, but still gives you a very good throw, basically a very nice balance between the center beam and the spill with both being very usuable.

With the 21a I find that the spill area is a little dimmer and with the beam being more narrow and brighter it tends to be more harsh/blinding if you're looking at something up close, especially at night which I think is typical of more "throwy" style lights.

Final thoughts after comparing the two: Both the 2a and 21a are great lights from Nitecore and nearly identical, both are bright 2AA lights and at their price point I think are among the best of the 2 "AA" lght field. The 2a is little more refined in the reflector as the 21a had what appeared to be what I can only describe as very slight ripples in the reflector (the reflector was smooth, not an orange peel texture but this could be from working out the bugs in the 21a manufacturing) and I like the tailcap and pocket clip features of the 2a. I think the 2a is a better "all purpose" light with a great balance between the main beam and the spill. If you're looking for a thrower then go with the 21a.

Torpedo

Newly Enlightened
I have had mine a couple days now, and to be honest, I don't see it outperforming the E25 in throw or brightness. Even on the ceiling bounce I cannot see much if any difference. Build quality is good, but I wish it had some knurling on the head. Turbo is the only mode with the head tight, all others with the head loosened. Mine heats up fairly quick on turbo ( well, warms up, doesn't really get hot) , but I have not noticed a step down after three minutes as stated in the manual. Anybody else have this happening ? This one does have a nice beam pattern, with no artifacts or ripples in it. Did not really care about tail standing or not having a pocket clip, its going in the truck console.