Advice sought, Mags with EverLeds ?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I am thinking of buying an EverLed bulb to fit into one of my 3 cell Mags and wonder if it is a worthwhile exercise?
Does anyone have any comments about brightness, beam shape etc.

Please supply your views or opinions good or bad!

Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened
turbodog,

Thanks, good review. So in your opinion does this Led provide a better sidespill of light and is there lots of rings in the beam if set to flood?

Doug

turbodog

Flashaholic
It is very much like a regular halogen bulb. The focus could be a little tighter I think, if you could use spacers to move the bulb forward some. Side spill is good. Yes, there are some rings if set to flood, but not as bad as the regular bulb.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I bought a white one when they first came out. I was disappointed with it. I had read all the glowing reports, then when I got it I couldn't see much of an improvement over the incandescent. The color was white instead of yellow, but the beam still had rings and holes. I think the reason I was disappointed was because I was expecting it to be more like a 1 watt luxeon with an optic (unrealistic expectations on my part). I felt I had wasted $40. I put it up thinking I might use it in a headlamp in the future. I later traded it to one of the guys here on CPF. I don't remember the story, but I know he fried it(the polarity issue). I am not saying don't buy it because it has its uses, but I am trying to help you have realistic expectations. The reports I read said it was brighter than the incandescent, but I couldn't see that it was any brighter than the stock bulb. This is just my opinion and it seems that many others liked the EverLed.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to agree with Hoghead. I guess I was expecting more when I received it but it's not too bad. I still have one in my 6 cell mag. I tried it in many size mags and it seemed to work the best with 6 cells. It's main advantage is as stated. It's whiter and will deliver longer battery life.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put EverLED on PT Solo headlamp. It's a lot brighter than the original incandescant lamp, and white of course. This bring the Solo a new life. Now I have 2 of them. I found that it's a perfect combination. Although I don't have Matrix 2, Solo + EverLED should be better due to its regulated circuit.

Alan

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put an Everled in a Mag 3-C. I love it. Yeah, it's about the same brightness overall as the original bulb, but since it's an LED, the battery life will be greater, and since it's regulated, it will maintain its' brightness for the majority of the batteries life. That was my main reason for getting it. I just hate it when a flashlight seems pretty bright, but dims after several minutes use. With every passing minute, it seems like a smaller, dimmer light, but the Everled eliminates that problem. I will probably buy another 1 or 2.

FlIrishman

Newly Enlightened
I bought one also, kind of hoping that it would be an order of magnitude brighter then the original - it wasn't. I then got some Lux Sandwhich's from http://home.comcast.net/~theledguy/
and was very very happy with the results. Same price, order of magnitude brighter!

From Warm, Sunny, Clear Blue Skies in Florida
FlIrishman

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
FiIrishman,

Wayne's MM/BB Sandwich is very different from EverLED and they serve different purpose/markets. Sandwich is to serve Mini-Mag only and EverLED works on almost all lights that use PR based lamp bulb.

By the way, it is very difficult to compare brightness between them due to dfferent light beam pattern.

Alan