In a few days I will know the truth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliek

Enlightened
I've finally done it- after reading about ARC LS lights for so long... all the glowing (no pun intended) reviews and all the suggestions for EDC lights.
I ordered a Arc LSH.... Actually, it was offer #4 in the "one week sale" offered by Arc. In this I got a ARC LSH-S, a AA battery holder, a Nylon holster and a few batteries. Hopefully, if it shipped yesterday, I should have it for sure by Friday.

I've read the reviews, looked at the beamshots, and read all the individual posts about what a great flashlight it is.

This will be the first Arc LSH I have seen in person.

My wife was nice enough to consider this my early Christmas gift.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sure like my LSH-S, Charliek. I hope you like yours. Back when I got my rev1 white Arc LS, I ordered a custom 2C pack from DSpeck, and the LSH-S works very nicely on that. I got the pack for an additional battery type option. The LSH also works well with NiMH AAs, though at reduced runtime. Longest runtime is with Lithium AAs (5 hours sunmode). Alkaline AAs will give you the same runtime as the CR123A (due to internal resistance).

charliek

Enlightened
I hope so- my mouth has been watering ever since I saw the sale ad.... Looks like I'll have both the 123 and the AA capability, so I can burn up some batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Looks like this will be EDC for at least a while- if it's as good as everyone says it will be- it may be for a LONG time.

HesNot

Enlightened
I use my 2AA pack with NiMH most of the time, but I have to admit that the size and form factor with the 123 pack is really handy. Nevertheless, around the house the 2AA provides a still small package (equivalent to a 2AA mag) but less expensive batteries. However, now that I have another 123 based light I'm going to have to start buying them in bulk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I remain convinced that the LS flashlight is about perfect for 90% of what I use a flashlight for and I find myself using it more and more the longer I own it. I can't spot raccoons in trees 100 yards away, but the amount and quality of the light is just about perfect. Much more and it is almost too bright for close in work, much less and you may as well use a AAA (another really useful light).

The key is that you have to carry it around and use if for awhile. There is a temptation to get a new light and expect to be blown away by a laser like throw or overwhelming brightness. The ARC LS will impress you not with its overwhelming brightness or throw (i.e. extremes) but with its balance and utility. It is a task light and can only best be appreciated by using it to tackle a few tasks (which might just be rolling the garbage cans to the curb). I only fully appreciated it after a few weeks of use, where I kept finding myself reaching for it instead of any other assortment of lights when I needed to do something. The ARC LS is like a fine wine, it improves with time and wins you over not with dramatic qualities but with its subtle perfection!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee Charlie, I hope your not so excited that nothing can live up to your expectations. I do that with movies too often, everyone says how great they are and then It doesn't seem good enough when I see it.

The LS's are great lights, very well made, small, light output is good too, but the ARC-LS's are best not at any one thing, but doing several things all very good all in one little package.

GregR

charliek

Enlightened
Is the Arc a 1W luxeon? (Just curious)

I have a CMG reactor (2AA) that has an AWFUL switch... the beam is nice and smooth.... somewhat green... but it makes a good task light when it's not *flickering*.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I read in Quickbeams' brightness chart that the Arc is about 2x as bright as the Reactor- and that would be just fine, as long as the beam is as smooth and is as good or better in color. I already know it will be made better, and be more compact.

Mattman

Enlightened
Your LSH-S should be worlds better than your Reactor. I can't directly compare since I have an LSH-P, but from what I've seen S's may be slightly less bright, slightly bluer, etc., but never with an ugly beam color. Your LS will flicker like your Reactor...you just need to click the switch on and off really fast to get that effect! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

charliek

Enlightened
Wish I had a tracking number..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I've come to love... and somewhat expect... a nice smooth beam from a good flashlight- I find myself sitting in dark rooms shooting beams at the ceiling quite a bit.
From the looks of the beamshots at Quickbeams, the ARC kicks butt on not only the CMG reactor, but the Reactor 3 as well.
(Not to mention the *size* difference between the Arc and the Reactor3).

Funny thing happend last night.... my 12 year old daughter was watching a movie with us the other night- a Police officer was walking through a dark house with his Maglight- she says:

"Gee Dad, that's an ugly beam..."

I think I may have someone following in my footsteps... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
charliek said:
Funny thing happend last night.... my 12 year old daughter was watching a movie with us the other night- a Police officer was walking through a dark house with his Maglight- she says:

"Gee Dad, that's an ugly beam..."

I think I may have someone following in my footsteps... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What movie?? [Sorry in advance about thread clutter] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blikbok

Enlightened
I jumped on an Arc LSH-S on sale a while ago, and I am quite pleased /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can now carry the same amount of light in smaller packages, thanks to Arc.

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
avusblue said:

What movie?? [Sorry in advance about thread clutter] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

"Needful things" - A Stephen King movie.
She didn't watch too much- she got scared and went into the other room.

Mattman

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
charliek said:
I find myself sitting in dark rooms shooting beams at the ceiling quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ] Make sure you've got some good NiMH's around because you'll be doing this a lot with your LSH. It's silly, but I'll do the same thing while I'm watching TV. Flashaholics are funny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Blikbok said:
I jumped on an Arc LSH-S on sale a while ago, and I am quite pleased /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can now carry the same amount of light in smaller packages, thanks to Arc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the smaller package myself... things keep falling out of my shirt pocket, and with the Leatherman and the phone... there just isn't too much more room for a big light. I think the Arc will make a nice fit.

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mattman said:
Make sure you've got some good NiMH's around because you'll be doing this a lot with your LSH. It's silly, but I'll do the same thing while I'm watching TV. Flashaholics are funny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As a matter of fact I do... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I find myself taking flashlights off the shelf, clicking the switch a few times- shining it around the room, and putting it back on the shelf... Or turning off the light as I climb the stairs just so I can use my pocket light.

Good thing about it- it seems my wife has gotten used to it.... she just grins at me and says "No, you're not obsessed"

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
A couple of weeks ago someone in the forum asked "What is the best 2 AA cell flashlight"? I was very impressed with the number of reponses in favor of the ARC LS with the optional AA battery pack. So much so in fact, that I ordered a LSHF-P. I have to admit I was a little leary of spending $150 for something not much larger than what usually drops out of my nose. But I am one happy camper.

There are many superlatives I could use to describe this precise little jewel. But the best I can come up with is "It's bitchin'!" Really, in one word, it's bitchin'.

And your risk is virtually nothing. Peter is proud of his product and wants you to be satisfied with it. He offers a 30 day satisfaction guaranty. If you decide it's not quite what you hoped it was, you can recieve your money back. How many companies offer that anymore?

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
EvilLithiumMan said:
A couple of weeks ago someone in the forum asked "What is the best 2 AA cell flashlight"? I was very impressed with the number of reponses in favor of the ARC LS with the optional AA battery pack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes- I saw that thread too... really made me think (read that as agonize)

[ QUOTE ]
spending $150 for something not much larger than what usually drops out of my nose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Lord... I didn't need that visual in my head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And your risk is virtually nothing. Peter is proud of his product and wants you to be satisfied with it. He offers a 30 day satisfaction guaranty. If you decide it's not quite what you hoped it was, you can recieve your money back. How many companies offer that anymore?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not many are that sure of their product anymore. Not many are Made in the USA either (another selling point)

Somehow, I think I won't be unhappy...
In this life, generaly speaking, you get what you pay for.

charliek

Enlightened
I'm stunned.... I got home today and my ARC was there!!

Yes, it is all it's cracked up to be and more.

I'm in love- I swear. I've never seen a light this nice- I have to send an Email over to Arc... I'd write more- but I have a new flashlight to play with, and batteries to burn!!

Thanks to all who recommended this light.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
charliek,
Do you like it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif
Give it time, it'll grow on you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.