CROSSING THE LINE-"WHEN IS TOO MUCH TOO MUCH???!!!

Capolini

Banned
I do not know about the rest of you, but I will admit I have an addictive personality. The disease of MORE!!!

The first LED light I got was on 11.24.2012. Today is 9.09.2013. I have Fourteen[14] torches!!!

From an outsiders point of view[not me, my girlfriend and maybe some of you!] and someone with logical, practical and realistic thinking, I would surmise that Fourteen [14] torches is quite a bit for less than Ten [10] months of collecting!

I know some of you would encourage me to continue this hobby[Addiction!!!] At this rate, when I am 90[I have extreme longevity in my family-104 Years Old is the record so far!] I would have 625 Torches!!! I might be broke, but I could have my own museum!!

I admit that I am honestly and definitely a FLASHAHOLIC!!!

Just a little bit of denial and justification!!! I have about 4 or 5 lights that are cheap, low quality and were bought because of lack of knowledge and were beginners mistakes!

As usual, Your thoughts, views, experiences and input would be greatly appreciated!:thumbsup:

Ciao,,,Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"......One light at a time!!:sssh::)

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry. I've had probably 40-50 lights. Eventually you find what works best for you. Now I live with four. Education and experience will prevail.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Don't worry. I've had probably 40-50 lights. Eventually you find what works best for you. Now I live with four. Education and experience will prevail.

Thanks!

So you sold the other 36 to 46? How long did it take you to acquire those 40 to 50 lights?

Ciao,,,Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Etsu

Enlightened
I have a rule I use when I think I'm getting addicted to buying stuff I don't need. I wait a month, and if I still want the gadget, I buy it. Usually, the temptation passes after a couple of weeks, and I move on to something else. But if the temptation doesn't pass, I figure I'll probably make use of it.

Capolini

Banned
I have a rule I use when I think I'm getting addicted to buying stuff I don't need. I wait a month, and if I still want the gadget, I buy it. Usually, the temptation passes after a couple of weeks, and I move on to something else. But if the temptation doesn't pass, I figure I'll probably make use of it.

Great advice!!! I probably would not sleep for a month,,,then get it!!! Lol,,,lol!

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!

So you sold the other 36 to 46? How long did it take you to acquire those 40 to 50 lights?

I've been doing this for 3-4 years. Probably did the first 30 in the first 2 years. Yes, sold most. Bought a half dozen customs which were easy to sell at cost. Gifted many to friends and family.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what it's worth, I think that's a completely reasonable quantity of lights after 10 months. However, I may not be the best person to ask that of :naughty:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am afraid to count mine! I am looking at a shelf in my computer room and it probably has about 70 lights on it! I have most of my high end ones in a drawer, then more in several boxes and lying around the house. I probably have about 150!! :devil: :shakehead:eek: The only thing I can think of that makes me feel any better is that most of my lights were under $100.00. The only ones I have here that were more are my Fenix TK70 and TK41. Plus I bought another this past weekend..one of the "new" versions of the Energizer Tactical 1AA. Will probably return it, but I think I have a problem!!!! :fail::).

Devildude

Enlightened
In the time frame listed I have probably bought between 30 to 40 lights. I thought that after I got my Deft-X I would not need another light for a few months, but then came along a few interesting lights that I could not resist. Mainly due to filling a niche or two that I needed filled. Enjoy lighting up the night.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you buy a new light, determine if one of the older ones can be replaced. I sold all my lights on CPFMP. Sell them before they become obsolete by more than one generation back. Thats how I kept my addiction in control. I only keep the current/best model. There is a good used market for well-cared for lights.

It helps too that new models are arriving more slowly. 3-4 years ago LED's seemed to be doubling in power every 6 months. Now we are getting 7-12 percent gains once or twice a year.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean I can sell some too?!?

I have a lot more than I use and a lot more than you but I too find myself settling in with the same ones in a rotation now for certain tasks and even forgetting I have some of the more lonely ones?

This last weekend I lugged a lot of lights along on an outdoor Radio Adventure where I did a lot of things I normally don't do in the dark and then I found myself outside at 5:00 am climbing a radio tower with my ZL Headlamp on,SC52 and LD12 in the pocket and HDS on the belt......just like every other day!

The single cell lights are just so much more portable to me,unless I am camping where I always carry the SC600w and Predator along with the EDC listed already..

So I think the longer you are at this the more clear it may become which are the daily drivers and which are just for fun!

I can't even believe I said that!

Ed

TEEJ

Flashaholic
There is no magic number.

It really comes down to what you are buying them FOR.

If its because you like to collect them, like stamps or whatever, I don't know anyone who's a collector who looks at their collection one day, and says "Well, I guess that ALL of them, I have nothing left to complete my collection, I'm done"

:D

Its not like a stamp collector USES the stamps for anything....nothing is MAILED with them as postage, etc. Owning them just seems to give (These crazy stamp collecting people...) pleasure.

Happiness is something I believe we are encouraged to pursue, so, if it floats your boat, its all good.

If you use the lights for work, or as part of other hobbies or activities, such as nightly dog walks, hunting or camping, etc, then you will find yourself potentially seeking the best light for the job.

As this is a voyage of discovery, its a lot like dating.

You check her out, if she seems interesting, you see what might develop.

She might "Be the ONE" for a long time, and then, a hot new LED pops onto the scene, and your old girl seems a bit dull in comparison.

And you start the process over again.

To add layers to that, one girl might be more fun to go hiking at night, but another one is not likely to leave the house, but might make it worthwhile to stay in...and you just like each of them in their own way.

So, I sort of have a large harem as far as lights go.

Capolini

Banned
There is no magic number.

It really comes down to what you are buying them FOR.

If its because you like to collect them, like stamps or whatever, I don't know anyone who's a collector who looks at their collection one day, and says "Well, I guess that ALL of them, I have nothing left to complete my collection, I'm done"

Its not like a stamp collector USES the stamps for anything....nothing is MAILED with them as postage, etc. Owning them just seems to give (These crazy stamp collecting people...) pleasure.

Happiness is something I believe we are encouraged to pursue, so, if it floats your boat, its all good.

If you use the lights for work, or as part of other hobbies or activities, such as nightly dog walks, hunting or camping, etc, then you will find yourself potentially seeking the best light for the job.

As this is a voyage of discovery, its a lot like dating.

You check her out, if she seems interesting, you see what might develop.

She might "Be the ONE" for a long time, and then, a hot new LED pops onto the scene, and your old girl seems a bit dull in comparison.

And you start the process over again.

To add layers to that, one girl might be more fun to go hiking at night, but another one is not likely to leave the house, but might make it worthwhile to stay in...and you just like each of them in their own way.

So, I sort of have a large harem as far as lights go.

Teej the philosopher and comedian!!:twothumbs

Good analogy!!!

I was on single websites for a few years a few years back!! Had a great time!! The disease of more kicked in,then got tired of the scene and settled for one with all around great qualities! She is bright, long lasting and has a glowing personality!

We will see how long She lasts! We are walking the pooches tomorrow evening and I am going to try to impress her with my TK-75!!

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Teej the philosopher and comedian!!:twothumbs

Good analogy!!!

I was on single websites for a few years a few years back!! Had a great time!! The disease of more kicked in,then got tired of the scene and settled for one with all around great qualities! She is bright, long lasting and has a glowing personality!

We will see how long She lasts! We are walking the pooches tomorrow evening and I am going to try to impress her with my TK-75!!

OK This is what I think of when someone asks about "Crossing the Line"!

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey?!!! That is in less than 10 months! How many did you get in your first 10 months??

Some folks around here buy a LOT of lights! You might find this thread interesting. You can show it to your girlfriend to illustrate how level headed you have been with your purchases :grin2: