V11R light vibrating/pulsating

Ibex

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a new V11R a few weeks ago and used it lightly. I am using AA battery with extender. I just noticed that the light start vibrating or pulsating very fast as the brightness is increased closed to max. the pulsating is only very short range and stops as I past that point either going higher or lower in output. The battery is new and fresh.

Is this normal? Is it the battery? Do I need to send it back?

Thank you.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my Sunwayman V11R with RCR123 batteries and have never had any flickering problems. I don't have the extension tube, so I can't try an AA battery. You might try a 14500 battery or revert back to the shorter RCR battery to test it. Be sure to clean all contacts you can reach in the flashlight. A dirty contact can make lights flicker.

Ibex

Newly Enlightened
I am pretty sure it is a flashlight :)

I tried a new AA battery but the flickering is still in the same spot as I increase the variable control ring. I guess I can go and purchase a 14500 battery and give it a try.

Not sure.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
My VR11 does the same thing, pulses with an AA alkaline as it nears maximum output (but not max ring rotation). I feel it's a normal side effect of the control circuit's ability to handle a wide range of battery current. AA Alkalines are the lowest, along with NIMH, lithium RCR123, and 14500, and max being the IMR IIRC. I am guessing that the alkaline voltage fluctuates more that the other chemistries at higher current draws, and the circuit tries to adjust for that. I can get a brief flicker with an Eneloop but no pulsing, and no problem (and much brighter) with a Zebralight 14500 or AW RCR123. Note also that you reach max light output at various places on the ring, depending on the power in the battery. I haven't tried IMR cells to get the rated 500 lumens, and get max output before the ring rotation ends.

Consider going with RCR123 - smaller, lighter, much higher output. I take my extender ring on trips, so I have the option to run on AA in an emergency.

Same here and I carry a AA NiMH when I travelling for the same reason. This AA possibility plus the infinite variability make the V11R an excellent travel light IMV.

I take my extender ring on trips, so I have the option to run on AA in an emergency.