P60 Dropin, Aluminum, Brass, Copper on a low low XPG2

Cunha

Newly Enlightened
Hey. I've been looking into getting a 60-100 lumen P60 XPG2 dropin. I have a malkoff M61nLLL on the way, but I plan on running it in a G2/G3 and want to know if the weight of a brass dropin is justified in this setup.

Does the weighty brass really give any benefit in such a low power light?

If it isn't worth packing, are there any top quality 1 (low) mode XPG2 p60 dropins in aluminum?

Thanks for any info guys.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I agree that the Malkoff brass heat sync may not be necessary in a low output drop in, it does still add an element of toughness that is nice. The brass pill filled with epoxy just makes it really robust.

If you really want to go lighter, Vinhnguyen54 makes drop ins that he can drive using any number of modes (including 1 presumably) and you can pick how many milliamps you want to drive it at.

Cunha

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply Geo.

I do like the epoxy filled aspect of the drop in, that is something that I would want regardless of the material it is made out of.

The weight difference is probably not all that much, though it does change the balance of a flashlight quite a bit.

Maybe I can justify it by saying the thermal capacity yields an increase in efficiency or something since the G2 really doesn't absorb heat at all.

I just wanted to see what was out there.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply Geo.

I do like the epoxy filled aspect of the drop in, that is something that I would want regardless of the material it is made out of.

The weight difference is probably not all that much, though it does change the balance of a flashlight quite a bit.

Maybe I can justify it by saying the thermal capacity yields an increase in efficiency or something since the G2 really doesn't absorb heat at all.

I just wanted to see what was out there.

Vinh's dropin do have potting as well.
You can request for it during purchase.

I do feel that the weight difference is quite big, between a Malkoff & regular P60 dropin.

While i do agree that Malkoff product is tough as hell & customer service very good. I do feel that Vinh is doing just the same.
I have a Vinh's dropin that has been dropped/hit countless times & its still working fine.
And if you have any question or problem with his products, he will help you as well.

- JonK

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree- the Malkoffs are MUCH heavier.
The standard Vinh or Nailbender modules also have slightly larger reflectors & throw a bit better.

Both Vinh & Nailbender fill the electronics cavity with epoxy for weapon mount or Bike mount in my case ;)

Cunha

Newly Enlightened
Yeah.

I think the mass of the Malkoff makes the biggest difference in efficiency on the first handful of minutes on a more powerful dropin. In a P60 host with less than idea heat sinking, having as much mass as possible in the dropin itself is the best way to keep things cool at least in the short run.

Once either drop in is hot, I think the ability of the dropin to transfer heat to the host will be very comparable between aluminum and brass.

I like the floodish nature of the M61's its a very usable light. I have a really throwy 4sevens MMS / G5 and it isn't the nicest light to use most of the time. Its cool to have a pocket sized thrower, but other than light up distant bushes and trees, other lights serve my needs a little better. I really love the MMS and MMX though.

I will contact Vinh and ask about one of his dropins. Maybe his reflector + an XML instead of an XPG will work best for me.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Don't forget about the EDC+ P60 modules. Lighter than the Malkoff's but not any less tough by any means. Don't own a Vinh P60 (but have an awesome K40 Vinh!) so cant give you my 2 cents there.