Beacon Mode

DougL

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in people's opinions of the most useful frequencies for beacon mode, what purpose they use for this beacon and which lights (currently produced or discontinued) are best for this use. Right now I'm thinking most practical uses are as an actual beacon for a campsite or boat launch site to find the way back and also as a front bicycle attention getter (as opposed to being used to see the road ahead). Just to get the ball rolling, I'll suggest the Fenix TA21 and the ten mode Powerflare white led model for use as return to ______ beacons, survival/rescue beacons, and bicycle attention gettters. The TA21 has great runtime on beacon mode (I believe it is 220 hours, but I could be wrong) and the 10 mode Powerflare white led model I believe runs for 150 hours at the slower single blink while the older nine mode model has a single faster blink mode with 100 hours runtime. Interestingly, the ten mode Powerflare's comparable fast single blink only seems to run for 20 hours, but since it has a slower single blink that's still flashes at about 1 blink per second for 150 hours, that's fine with me.
What say ye?
Doug

Gliderguy

Newly Enlightened
Not sure of the specs of those beacon modes, but I would use something like an aircraft strobe. One flash per second, just long enough duration to percieve full brightness. Maybe 100-150 milliseconds on time. Could stretch to once every 2 seconds but no ramping up or down with the on time. Full brightness.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

buds224

Enlightened
I have the TA21 and it's got a very useful beacon. My use?....When the weather is really harsh, heavy rain or snow with low visibility, I'll have it belt clipped pointed down so that cars can see me when I'm walking the town.

This past Halloween, I used the beacon on my SRT7. It's a slower frequency than the TA21, but it bursts like a flash bulb. The the light belt holstered, bezel up, I have the flap of the holster loosely fitted over the light so that the beacon can escape. This kept me and the family safe when we got around the dark parts of town. We were easily seen by cars when crossing streets and it was not a distraction due to the slow frequency of the flashes.

I have always anticipated using the beacon as a locator during an emergency, but that need has not presented itself yet. I do hold a lot of value in the feature.