XML-U2 vs MT-G2 vs MCE Level Light

DaveAnderson

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

It is that time of year where it dusk when I arrive home after work and the evening walk with the kids are in the dark. That means "flashlight time". :) My lights are all a bit older now and I'm looking at the new generation of emitters available. There are a lot of comparisons for lights of the same likeness or caliber (I find selfbuilt's reviews to be outstanding). I'm hoping that somone can add a few beamshot comparisons of the older generation of lights to the new products this year.

My "big guns" are now starting to look like pea shooters now in terms of lumen output (when looking on paper). How does this compare in the real world? Is anyone able to compare the MCE / P7 generation of lights (example: Jetbeam M1X, Olight M30 Triton, Eagletac M2XC4) to the new models such as the Fenix PD35 or Eagletac SX25L3?

I really like the single 18650 sized lights such as the new Fenix PD35 (750 lumen) but don't know how much additional light I'll get from the 450 lumen MCE line. The Eagletac SX25L3 make a really decent jump up to 2400 lumen range but that may be way overkill.

DaveAnderson

Newly Enlightened
Well - I didn't get a chance to get any beamshots before I returned my new Fenix PD35. It was a nice light, just not enough of an improvement over my others to justify the cost. My favorite 1x18650 light is my Solarforce L2 host with a Nailbender XPE-R4 (iirc correctly) that has a very nice warm tint with orange peel reflector. This light has a very nice balance of flood and throw (little more on the throw side). The new Fenix PD35 was very floody (great for indoors and out to about 60 ft.).

The final test that pushed me into returning the light was pretty simple. I walked out into the back yard with both lights. Standing on the back patio, I scanned the entire yard with the Fenix on High (~450 lumens). It lit things up pretty nicely. Then I scanned the yard with my old Solarforce/Nailbender. At the end of this second scan, I found a rabbit sitting over in the neighbors yard. It was just behind the chain link fence about 90 ft away from me. It was turned so I could only see it's backside (no eye reflection). I then wondered how I could have missed it in my previous scan and switched back to the Fenix. Aiming right at it and looking specifically for it, I had a hard time seeing it. Bumping the Fenix up to Turbo allowed me to see it a little better, but not much. I then went back to the Solarforce/Nailbender and bam - it was right there as clear as day.

It was not a very scientific and didn't have any consideration of lumens - just simple functionality of the light. My old light had done the job quite well and had out performed the new XML model, so it is going back. My old Solarforce Masterpiece MCE kept up very nicely to the overall output of the new XML model. I think I'll wait a little longer and see some more improvements in the LED technology before I make another purchase.

Last edited:

rje58

Enlightened
I agree that many of the older lights can do a fine job - but don't forget that in addition to extra lumens, one of the big draws of the newer technology is efficiency: extra battery life and longer runtimes!

Whether or not the extra lumens and longer battery life (better runtimes) are worth the extra cost or replacing our existing lights is a decision each flashaholic has to make for themselves.

LowFlux

Enlightened
You are comparing a general purpose OP reflector PD35 to a bunch of deep-reflectored lights (or in the case of the Malkoff, an optic-based light) - it is no surprise that your older lights appeared to have a brighter hot spot then the PD35 at distance. It has nothing to do with the emitter being used. Get a thrower-class light like your aforementioned M1X, M30 Triton, Solarforce Masterpiece with a newer emitter for a better apples-to-apples comparison.

DaveAnderson

Newly Enlightened
Hey LowFlux - I went back to my Soloarforce host and was looking at my drop-in. I had the wrong vendor. It is a Nailbender module in that light. I would consider that light a general purpose light. The Solarforce L2 is about the same size as the Fenix and they run on the same type of battery. I was just really suprised at how much more usable the older light was. I had expected the Fenix at more than double the light output to have a distinct advantage over my older light. The Nailbender drop-in has a really nice balance of flood/throw for a 1x18650 light. I really like the OP reflector better than the smooth surface of the Fenix.

I'll have to take a look at the run-times. I did forget about that aspect in my eval of the new light. "It's not just lumens - stupid." ;)

KarstGhost

Enlightened
One of the first lights I ever bought way back in 2009 was a triton M30 with an MCE. I have a Eagle Tac SX25L3 and it is noticeably brighter.

Run times are much better with the newer emitters.