Sunwayman V25C

TSD

Newly Enlightened
Ha, I just purchased the V20C. Looks like I might have to get this one too. Hopefully selfbuilt will get his hands on this and compare it to the V20C. The boost in output looks great, but 360 degrees seems like a bit much to me. It is hard for me to imagine why you would need/want more than 180 degrees. Also, this light only has 3140 candela at 780 lumens? It must be incredibly floody.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think 3140 lux/1m is a typo, V20C now has XM-L2 as well (and 547lm instead of 438lm) and they claim "Effective range of 300 meters". I think V25C is closer to 8-9 klux/1m.

TSD

Newly Enlightened
I thought so too, so I contacted the company via email for verification. It is indeed correct. Here is their response:

cleardot.gif

to ceo, me
cleardot.gif

Yes, the specs. is correct. The V25C uses Orange Peel reflector which has more flood light instead of thrower light, so the effective range is not that far, thank you.

Rule 12. Reposting Private Communications. Partial quote deletion. - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

NorthernStar

Enlightened
According to the lights data, the V25C does not have a strobe mode or a tactical ring. If that's right, I wonder why Sunwayman excluded a strobe mode and why it does not have a tactical ring?

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought so too, so I contacted the company via email for verification. It is indeed correct. Here is their response:
In that case I disagree with their response. V20C has OP reflector as well - it's basically the same flashlight with XM-L and it scored 5800lux/1m and 445 lumens in selfbuilt's test. V25C can't be worse with 780 lumens and optically the same emitter in the same OP reflector.

tatteredmidnight

Newly Enlightened
According to the lights data, the V25C does not have a strobe mode or a tactical ring. If that's right, I wonder why Sunwayman excluded a strobe mode and why it does not have a tactical ring?

Putting strobe on the selector ring is actually one of the things that prevented me from purchasing the V20C

-- Adam

TSD

Newly Enlightened
In that case I disagree with their response. V20C has OP reflector as well - it's basically the same flashlight with XM-L and it scored 5800lux/1m and 445 lumens in selfbuilt's test. V25C can't be worse with 780 lumens and optically the same emitter in the same OP reflector.

I guess we will have to wait for third party verification. I agree that it is hard to believe that the V25C only does 3140cd at 780 lumens given its nearly identical build and headsize to the V20C. Looking at their pictures of each model, I don't see any obvious differences in the appearance of the reflector either. I would have expected the V25C reflector to appear quite a bit more shallow.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Putting strobe on the selector ring is actually one of the things that prevented me from purchasing the V20C

-- Adam

It´s a matter of personal preference, but i would rather see that the V25C included a strobe mode at the farest end of the magnetic ring. There it is hidden under normal use, and can be activated when one wants to.

dts71

Newly Enlightened
360 degrees to go 0.1 to 780 seems like a lot of turning. Turn-move hand-turn to go min/max.
120 to 180 degress with logarithmic increase would still offer the precision on the lower levels.

TSD

Newly Enlightened
360 degrees to go 0.1 to 780 seems like a lot of turning. Turn-move hand-turn to go min/max.
120 to 180 degress with logarithmic increase would still offer the precision on the lower levels.

Agreed. I have trouble seeing why anything past 180 would be beneficial. 180 gives your thumb a good turning range, and it doesn't require you to adjust the light in your hand to go through all outputs.

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened
Agreed. I have trouble seeing why anything past 180 would be beneficial. 180 gives your thumb a good turning range, and it doesn't require you to adjust the light in your hand to go through all outputs.

I'm guessing the larger range allows power adjustment in finer increments.

- Tim

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Any speculation as to whether this is a full 360 degrees? If so, any theories on how it works? I think that it's a dual magnet/sensor system with multiple internal rings that have a certain amount of travel. (think of an extending pointer or a rotating expanding table. first ring travels a certain distance, locks, then the second ring travels the rest, and locks.)

turkeylord

Enlightened
I agree. If I were designing the UI I would make it speed sensitive. Twist the head quickly and you get full output, twist slowly for small adjustments/slow ramping.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trying to find out about the control ring. Says it is 360 degrees. Does that mean it can be rotated 'down' to .1 lumens, then, continuing that same direction of rotation, is there some kind of "standby"?, then can it continue to be turned in the same direction so that it goes to full on (~800 lumens) right away? Many times in the field the light will be used for navigation on a low setting but then full brightness is needed quickly. I was just hoping that I did not have to rotate the ring almost 360 degrees back 'up' to get there. I have an old SureFire U2 and really like the control ring for what it does. So no disrespect, OK?