MDC 123 and AA body questions

dlong0609

Newly Enlightened
I've been pleased with my new EDC light, a Malkoff MDC 123, but thought it would be even better with an AA body on standby. What could be better than being able to run CR123's, alkaleaks, enaloops, and especially 14500 rechargables. Gene was not encouraging, telling me that AA's will not "reliably" drive the head, and that 14500 li-ions provide too much voltage. The markings on the head indicate a voltage range from 1-3V. It seems running 14500's in lights not rated for them is fairly common. Surely, someone must have tried one of these combinations. Anyone care to share their experience? Am I about to toast my new light by trying?

Norm

Retired Administrator
Gene was not encouraging, telling me that AA's will not "reliably" drive the head, and that 14500 li-ions provide too much voltage.
I'd go by what Gene recommends, he's certainly the person who knows his gear best.

Norm

Last edited:

Redhat703

Enlightened
Get the old Malkoff AA MDC as it can run li-ion such as 14500. High-Low-Strobe

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the MDC AA which also said 1-3V on the head and was spec'd 0.6/5/125 lms. Tried a 3V CRAA Lithium Primary and it didn't bump max up any from an Eneloop so there was no point in trying a 14500 and risk frying it. Don't recall if the lower modes shifted around on the 3v cell.

I like using all these cells in Quarks though - they fully support any chemistry in the 0.9-4.2v range.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
.....Gene was not encouraging, telling me that AA's will not "reliably" drive the head...

BTW, you can easily test a 1.5v AA with your light. Without the battery tube, position the AA button top on the head's positive contact pad, then use a paper clip and link the batt. neg bottom to the brass ring (what would normally contact the batt tube edge) in the head. Change modes by repeatedly breaking and connecting the circuit within 2 secs.