Rechargeable Flashlights have their place

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a duty light whether it be duty performed by an LEO or just a homeowner that has a specific need for a flashlight to be used daily it is just hard to beat a rechargeable. I figured that in the 9 months I have saved $400 in the cost of Lithium's. Do not get me wrong, Lithium powered lights do have their place, that's for sure!

With all my rechargeable torches topped off which they always are it gives me 7 days worth of specified use in the event of a natural disaster! The key word is "specified"

If there is a power failure I am covered currently by 3 Lithium torches and a couple of Alkaline, i.e. AA MiniMag and Eveready 3 D-Cell Torch.

Wave

Newly Enlightened
I agree. Rechargeables are great for duty use as long as you remember to top off the batteries on your day's off. I still carry a SureFire G2 around as insurance though.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Dave,

Like you I have several rechargeable flashlights, but I don't think you should restrict your comments to those. I have several lights that I use rechargeable batteries in as well. You can't just throw them on the charging stand, but it is not much more difficult than replacing batteries.

I figure I save enough money to be able to support this hobby. Just think, the more lights I have that are rechargeable (or use rechargeable batteries in) the more money I save and the more lights I can get.

Hmmm, do you think this justification will work while talking to my wife?

Tom

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SilverFox said:
Hello Dave,

Like you I have several rechargeable flashlights, but I don't think you should restrict your comments to those. I have several lights that I use rechargeable batteries in as well. You can't just throw them on the charging stand, but it is not much more difficult than replacing batteries.

I figure I save enough money to be able to support this hobby. Just think, the more lights I have that are rechargeable (or use rechargeable batteries in) the more money I save and the more lights I can get.

Hmmm, do you think this justification will work while talking to my wife?

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I figure the dollars saved is another torch or two on the horizon, that Detox Center is sounding better and better each day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Your are right. I did not intend to limit the term rechargeable just to the product line that I use. Any light that can use a rechargeable stick can and is implied!

Dave

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I bought the SF Stinger to save up money for the tL3.
Every time I charge it I'll put a few bucks away that would normaly go for batteries, had I bought the TL3 first.

Techmedic

Enlightened
Bravo,

Ahem...I think you mean the SL Stinger?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

And.. as a flashaholic I agree with your logic of using a rechargeable in place of the lithiums and tossing a few bucks into the drawer/hidden wallet pocket/etc... for the SL TL-3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I will be doing that myself very shortly...

A number of years ago I modified a 6V lantern (square batt type) with nicads from scrapped two-way radio batt packs. (packs had new cells - the shells were damaged)I use it for auto repairs, checking oil, filling WW juice, etc... so yes rechargeables really do have their place. I consider it my working beater light. (has a few spare bulbs inside it)Good'n bright with negligible useage cost.

Good personal self discipline is needed to keep your favourite trusty rechargeables charged and ready to go!

We also use nicads (ex-two-radio again) in our family bedside 2AA garrity lights for tucking in the kids. The charger resides in the kitchen and extra AA's are always being charged. Regular useage cost zero but during a power failure scenario, we deplete the nicads then use alkaline.

Techmedic

Avix

Newly Enlightened
we've pretty much totaly switched over to NiMH totaly for AA and AAA for flashlight/flashlight/digicam/flashlight/Palm Pilot/flashlight/IR Mice/flashlight/tap lights/flashlights etc etc (oh, and the flashlights), we're figuring almost $20.00 a month saved right there alone, the question is, what to spend the savings on (we're a bit short on the LED room filling light dept as yet)

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Techmedic said:
Bravo,

Ahem...I think you mean the SL Stinger??

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right. Who moved that "F" next to my "L" key anyway!