Forward Clicky

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel like this is a stupid question :eek:, but is it possible to have a forward clicky that has momentary and can change modes?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that I'm aware of - and definitely not a fixed mode light with a mechanical clicky.

A real momentary allows you flash the same mode repeatedly with half presses, or as long as it is depressed. A multi-mode changes modes with half presses. There is no way I am aware of that a light tell the difference.

That said, one could argue that a Peak QTC light with momentary switch can do both - it is momentary and the further the button is depressed, the more light you get.

nbp

Flashaholic
Not that I'm aware of - and definitely not a fixed mode light with a mechanical clicky. A real momentary allows you flash the same mode repeatedly with half presses, or as long as it is depressed. A multi-mode changes modes with half presses. There is no way I am aware of that a light tell the difference. That said, one could argue that a Peak QTC light with momentary switch can do both - it is momentary and the further the button is depressed, the more light you get.

That's a good point. I guess I didn't get that from the question. As long as the momentary flashes are not faster than the period the light uses to signal a mode change then most forward clicky lights will work but if you want to be able to do quick momentary flashes then a multimode light will understand those fast taps as mode changes as opposed to momentary flashes. :huh:

Disciple

Enlightened
If the forward switch is the only control then typically momentary use will also cycle through the modes. An electronic switch (no longer a clicky) could be programmed to recognize only presses of a certain length but that would likely be too fussy. In addition to the Peak QTC that reppans mentioned, some Surefire lights such as my L2 have or had two level momentary switches: press for momentary low; press more for momentary high; twist to lock on in low; twist more to lock on in high. Pretty useful IMHO, and a prime reason I'm still EDC'ing my circa 2005 L2.