Thrunite Lynx (XM-L2, 1x 18650, 2x CR123) review

kj2

Flashaholic
- For submission in the review-section -

Earlier this week, the Thrunite Lynx came in the mail. It's a updated version of the Thrunite Scorpion, and gives a max of 1000 lumens.
Even with today's standards, that's much :)

vq09q0.jpg

Here are the specs on this light; (given by Thrunite)

1. The first light basing on Buck-Boost All which can provided constant brightness output regard less battery types, LED modes, temperature and voltage change.
2. Utilizing the newest Cree XM-L2 LED supporting the high lumen output.
3. High efficiency driver circuit Provides maximum 1000lm output and 310 meters beam.
3. Three self-define infinite modes and a tactical momentary on measurement mode almost all the needs.
4. Aircraft-grade aluminum body and stainless steel bezel.
5. Anti-scratch type III hard anodizing aluminum body.
6. Large surface of the heatsink on its head,-allowing for efficient heat dissipation.
7. High efficiency smooth reflector
8. Ultra-clear lens with anti-reflective coating.
9. Three self-define infinite mode can be set from Firefly (0.04lm) to High (1000lm), Slow Strobe Strobe and Quickly.
10. Optional filters: Red, Green, Blue, Yellow.

2djuyqo.png

Inside the Box:

The Lynx comes in a nice plastic case. I was surprised to see, that Thrunite includes a 18650 battery with this light.
The case holds the light securely, and keeps dust out when you store the light. Thrunite even thought about the discharge of the battery, from the factory to the customer.
A small piece of white paper/plastic keep the spring separated from the battery. There are already pre-out cuts for optional filters.

10y3s49.jpg
b6bl9i.jpg

29makoj.jpg
29mwwhi.jpg

The Lynx feel rock solid in hand. It feels 'heavy' compared with other 1x 18650 lights, but it does give you the feeling it can take a beating.
Grip on the light is very good, and even with gloves you can easily turn the light on or off. Switching modes with the selector-ring can be somewhat difficult.

rsrgw6.jpg
mttvdz.jpg

2wn4ms6.jpg
24w6688.jpg

The UI:

The Thrunite Lynx uses a different interface we usually see. It uses a selector-ring at the back, which gives you 4 modes to choose from. With the selector ring all the way to the left, you have momentary on.
Just press and hold the button to turn the light on, depress it and the light turns off. Then you have 3 more modes rotating clockwise. These 3 modes can be set, how you want it.
Set the selector-ring to the second/third/fourth position and press and hold the on/off button. The light will ramp up/or down and will blink twice at the lowest and highest level. After the highest level, you get a slow to fast strobe
you can choose from.
As stated on the tail-cap, you should read the manual first to know how the light works precisely.
This light also has a lock-out. Press the switch three times quickly to enter, and from off- three times quickly to exit.

This UI definitely has a 'cool-factor' but can also cause confusion. There are no stripes on the selector-ring, so you have to remember in which mode you have selected. This can cause blinding in small rooms, or a lack of light
when you really need it.

18nbcx.jpg
apjnys.jpg

The switch does operate smoothly, and switching modes is easy. The switch is quite bigger than the normal 'standard' flashlight switch. This is because of the selector-ring and the components needed.

16jr5zs.jpg
2lutixv.jpg

2mytfz6.jpg
14map8l.jpg

A small down-side is the stainless steel bezel. Now I hear you thinking; "What?! why is that?'
Well, the bezel creates a 'rainbow' effect at the end of the spill. Rainbows are fun for small children, but I don't really need one on my flashlight ;)
The light bounces of the bezel, and creates it. When you take of the bezel, the rainbow is gone. I suggest Thrunite starts including a black-bezel to eliminated that rainbow.

A good point on the other hand is the pocket-clip. Finally a light that uses threads for the clip. A cover-ring keeps the clip in place, and when the clip is off it keeps the threads secured.

1621nh3.jpg
33yqgdh.jpg

15xmnti.jpg

This light could attract moderators. The led is simply accessible, so you could change the led if you want to. Anyone in for warm-white? ;)

Beamshots:

I've only shot a beamshot on the highest mode and the lowest, because the user can determine his on levels.

High:

t50ody.jpg

Moon-mode:

al2sdz.jpg

The fence is about 10 meters away from the light, and the book around 30 centimeter.

Moonlight-mode is really enough to read maps and books. Thrunite claims the lowest output is 0.04 lumens, but to my eyes it's more 0.5 lumens.
The moonlight from the Lynx is about twice as bright, as my Thrunite T10.

Comparison:

6ymcuc.jpg
k2yfd5.jpg

14118r4.jpg
2vjampi.jpg

(18650 battery, Fenix PD35, Klarus XT11, ArmyTek Predator, Thrunite Lynx)

Overall it's a great light. It throws a wall of light, feel rock solid and it will survive some beating. The included battery makes the package complete.
You can use the light straight out-of the box, and will provide you with plenty of light. As mentioned before, the only thing Thrunite has to look at is the stainless steel bezel.
It has taken some time for Thrunite to release this light, but it's a job well done :)

- The Thrunite Lynx was provided by Thrunite for this review -

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive seen enough

not more needed thanks!

:)

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good review, I enjoyed reading it. It seems like a good idea to allow the user to define the modes.

KarstGhost

Enlightened
Noticed it says Limited Edition. This will be added to the regular lineup, right?