• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired ***SOLD***--KL3 Pelican [email protected]

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the light even Mr Bulk would find acceptable. It's a slightly overdriven (1.2A) 3W Luxeon TWAK with the PM6 reflector.

Here's some pics:

Next to an L5 (They're both about the same size)

fa5b1035.jpg

fa5b1031.jpg

fa5b103a.jpg

small ding on KL3 but anodizing is intact
fcb330b0.jpg

The lens is from Flashlightlens with an o-ring at the circumference to serve as a gap filler. The stock lens is too thick so I ordered a thinner one so that the retaining ring fits flush with the top of the head. It gives a nice fit appearance. The PM6 reflector and the inside of the KL3 was modified to allow the reflector to fit as the "ledges" on the reflector and on the KL3 presents an interference problem. I can't begin to tell you how much time it took to get this "machining" right without a lathe. I will include the original Pyrex lens and the rubber lens spacer and a Fraen LP so that you can swap out the reflector for an NX05 or the included Fraen if you want. This will run best on 2x123 or 3x123 but a single Li-Ion will also work though it won't run in regulation. However, it still kicks butt even on the lowly single Li-Ion

Here's some real world beam shots. These were taken from my second story deck and shows my kid's Power Wheels riding toy at about 50 ft.

First shot is the L5 which is my longest throwing 5W
fa55922d.jpg

Next is the KL3
fa559235.jpg

Very tight beam with not so much sidespill to detract from the main center of attraction.

I'm asking $140 which includes insured shipping plus the miscellaneous paypal garbage fees.

CM

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: KL3 Pelican [email protected]

Thanks, ChrisM. I have another one of these but biased at 1Amp but I don't intend to sell it nor do I intend to make anymore (or mod anyone else's) It just took too dang long to do the fitting of the PM6 reflector in the KL3 and finding the right lens to fit flush. Luckily flashlightlens only charges $7.00 for a custom fit glass which is a steal.

CM

S4MadMan

Enlightened

Nice! You are tempting me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks guys.

Hotbeam,

The KL3 is driven by the stock circuit which, because of the FETKEYs (International Rectifier's trademark for a FET and Schottky in one package) used, can actually drive the load at least 2A, maybe 3A, if I recall correctly. I chose 1.2A because I wanted to call this an overdrive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif to pacify Mr Bulk, hehe. The KL3 circuit is just cruising along at 1.2A. The PM6 reflector is just perfect for the 1W or 3W LED's IMO. You will probably get some incremental improvement with the L5 reflector but you have to change the circuit to a downboy (more work) plus it's an expensive host. I prefer to keep the Surefire lights as close to stock as possible because I'm anal. My other one is just a tad dimmer at 1A but it still kicks the L5's butt at a distance. I was lighting up my neighbor's rooftop which is about 200 yards away. I almost tried to capture this as a beamshot but figure he'd probably find it very strange since i require several takes to get a good picture.

Note in the beam shot above that the L5 was lighting up a swing set on the left which was not visible with the PM6 due to the tight beam. There's still some sidespill but does not compromise the area of interest. I love the PM6 reflector (thanks McGizmo)

CM

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is quite impressive. I'm a fan of the Pelican reflector. This is nice work. I like the look of the KL3, and the extra Al really helps for heat sink. I had one ready to mod, but the beam was actually quite nice from the stock LED and NX-05, so I just couldn't bring myself to mod it.

Maybe I will have to try to pick up a HA3 version and start taking it apart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

Man.. perhaps I am dreaming or sumthin, Where can I get the PM6 Reflector??!! I see Chop with his KL2+PR and now your KL3+PR. Tell me you didn't waste a whole flashlight just because of it's reflector..

Nice mod there.
Vince.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Vince,

You can get the reflector from dat2zip's shop. Whaaat, waste a whole flashlight for the reflector? Me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

Nice work/pics CM!
Just when I was about to ask someone for beamshot comparison pics of the PM6 reflector and the L5. These are even more appropriate for me (as you well know) since I am on the verge of putting a PM6 reflector into my newly 1A TWAK modded KL3 (in lieu of buying an L5 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). Thanks for your inspiration!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey, I've been overdriving 99% of my mods so I think I'm already in the club, eh? Unless I got kicked out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif