Surefire G2Z mod

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
This isn't the most exciting mod of the year . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I was sitting at my desk and playing with a few nitrolon Surefires.
I was put on hold so I started to disassemble the lights. Anyway,
it seems that the tailcap of the G2 will fit on the G2Z! It works as a
momentary on only when snugged down all the way against a lanyard
attachment ring. If one removes the lanyard ring you can rotate the
cap down for constant on.

It's not earth shattering, but the shorter OAL may be
important to someone out there! Of course, it no longer
works as a LOTC.

I also prefer the "feel" of the G2Z LOTC over the "feel"
of the G2 NLOTC on the G2. The G2 tailcap is it's greatest weakness.

Just thought you'd like to know . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually contacted Surefire's helpdesk a while ago when I first bought my G2 (of course, as soon as I do, the price goes from $45 to $25!) to see if the tailcap of the G2Z would fit to get that LOTC action, and the rep said it would. Maybe upgrade the G2 to LOTC.

I added the KR1 conversion to make it rechargeable. Even though it has no lock-out, I twist the body extension off a 1/4 turn and it's locked off.

i7r7

Newly Enlightened
Lux, you didn't make it quite clear in your post whether or not the G2Z tailcap will work properly on a G2 Nitrolon. Does all 3 modes (Lockout, momentary and constant on) all work on the G2 with the G2Z tailcap? Also, is the water resistance on the G2Z tailcap better than the G2? I am really pissed off at the huge gap when you press the momentary tailcap.

Just want to clear things up before I rush out and order a G2Z LOTC.

Thanks for the idea
Jeff

i7r7

Newly Enlightened
While I'm at it, I also want to ask if the G2Z bezel with the Lexan lens fits on the G2. I read here on CPF that someone has melted the lexan with the P61. So that's why I want to replace the lexan with pyrex.

According to the picture on the Surefire website, the G2Z bezel doesn't have the small bumps on the bottom of the bezel like the G2 has. I guess the anti-roll mechanism of the G2 bezel doesn't really work anyway. Besides, I put my G2 on the table with the vertically.

If I get the replacement tailcap and the bezel, the only original part of the G2 will be the main body. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jeff

dougmccoy

Enlightened
i7r7,

The G2z bezel (which incidentally has a pyrex lens) will fit onto the G2 without any problem and is a worthwhile add on to the G2. AFAIK the G2z tailcap DOESN'T work on the G2. Apparently there is a problem with the inside metal liner of the G2 making contact with the G2z' tailcap.

If you can obtain a G2z bezel cheaply enough I would think adding that to a G2 would make sense. Otherwise just except that the G2 is a good, cheap start to growing a collection of Surefires.

Doug

AlphaTea

Enlightened
FYI to all,
I had a G2 with a G2Z bezzel and tail cap. It worked fine.
I had originally bought a G2Z and one if the Nitrolon holsters.
The holster was way too stiff and bulky so I got a RipOffs CO-73.
Well, I had a heck of a time getting the G2Z in and out of the new holster so I bought a G2.
The G2 had a plastic lens, so I put the G2 bezzel on it.
I liked the look of the G2Z tail cap so it went on next.
I carried it this way for a week or so with no problems. I use my G2 as EDC/work light. I started getting paranoid about messing up the parts from my NRA G2Z, so I switched the G2 back to its original configuration.
Later I bought a B270 lens and a Dat2Zip Kroll clickie for it. I am happy now.
BTW, I was unable to "gut" the G2Z tail cap for clickie mod. I couldnt figure out how to get the old button out. It does not seem to have the same innards as the G2.
Just my $0.02. YMMV. CPF Rules. EIEIO.

i7r7

Newly Enlightened
Re: Surefire G2/G2Z mods

Sorry about being a pain in the neck, but I'll ask again, "Does all 3 modes (Lockout, momentary and constant on) all work on the G2 with the G2Z tailcap?"

Also, why am I getting conflicting information about whether or not the tailcap is compatible?

Jeff

i7r7

Newly Enlightened

Again, sorry about being a pain in the neck, but it would be useful to get an answer soon. I have to decide soon whether or not to tell my distributor to order in the G2Z tailcap. I'm definately getting a G2Z bezel.

Apologies
Jeff

zumlin

Enlightened

My G2Z will be arriving tomorrow so I should be able to answer your question in 24 hours.

Rather then getting a $15 G2Z bezel, why don't you get a B270 lens for just $2 from www.flashlightlens.com? I put one into my G3 (G2 with AN14, P91 and spacer) today and it worked fine.

zumlin

Enlightened

Got my G2Z today.

Yes, the G2Z tailcap fully functions on the G2, it kinda looks weird though.

I also got my Ozark Trail 2AA light today, you can get the switch out from it and put into your G2 to give it a clickie switch, I did it and I got the perfect light now (G3 clickie)!

Yay!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

i7r7

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, I'll stop annoying everyone on the forum and start annoying my distributor to get the G2Z bezel and tailcap.

Jeff