Question about Malkoff M-61 Drop In for Surefire 6P

squid8286

Newly Enlightened
I just installed two M-61 Drop-Ins in two 6Ps that I have had for a while. They are the 325 Lumen Head. I am going to use these as weapon-mounted lights in an Elzetta Mount. The heads had a little play when mounted in the light, and I have read about wrapping them with aluminum foil to transfer the heat to the light body so it doesn't burn out the head. I did this with a small strip of foil, taping it so the head would go back into the light's body without the foil coming loose. Is this the correct procedure? The head doesn't move around any more, and I am guessing it will transfer the heat from the head to the light body correctly now.

Redhat703

Enlightened
You did it correctly! Just for FYI, I have several SF 6P's with M61's in them without wrapping, and they run good that way.

squid8286

Newly Enlightened
You did it correctly! Just for FYI, I have several SF 6P's with M61's in them without wrapping, and they run good that way.

Thanks. I had read you could burn out a head without something to transfer the heat from the head to the body. I just didn't want to ruin a $55 Malkoff Drop-In!

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's news to me. And I'm surprised you have a little play - all my Malkoffs fit snugly into my Surefires. But for what it's worth, I've never read of anyone managing to burn out a Malkoff M61 in a metal body, so you will be fine.

Excellent choice on drop-ins. :D

squid8286

Newly Enlightened
That's news to me. And I'm surprised you have a little play - all my Malkoffs fit snugly into my Surefires. But for what it's worth, I've never read of anyone managing to burn out a Malkoff M61 in a metal body, so you will be fine.

Excellent choice on drop-ins. :D
Thank you.