In CPF there are a lot threads about using
paracord. But here in Germany I couldn't find
such a cord. Or is there just another name for
it?

Cheers
Ralf

zorba

Enlightened
It is the cord used to hold the domes of parachutes. basically, any 4 to 6mm cord can be called like that. The original paracord has some inner strands That can be removed and used in various ways in survival situations.
Military surplus stores almost always have them in army colours.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Try an outdoor shop, they usually have a selection of different diameter cords /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif You want the cord with a braided outside, and multiple strands on the inside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
paracord-sm.jpg

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is also called "550 cord" or "parachute shroud line". The guys are right that you should look for the cordage with inner strands, some of the surplus cordage on the European market does not have inner strands such as the British paracord. There are two weight grades of cord, one with 4 inner strands which is rated at a lower test weight and one with seven inner strands. Then there is they type of material used to manufacture it, cheap paracord is made of nylon strands which suffers color and structural degredation over time and exposure while high grade which is much harder to come by is made of polyester strands which are more impervious to elements as well as being more pliable.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ralf, PM your shipping address and I'll send you some USGI Olive Drab 7 strand cord for Christmas so you can make a lanyard from the real thing. You'll see the difference.

BC