Reflector/optic options for 3D M@g

Halibut

Enlightened
Hello all,

I've started on my first M@g 3D TX1H LuxIII mod, and was wondering what my reflector/optics options were. Can any of the Fraen collimators be modified to fit in a 3D M@g head?

Patiently waiting for a package from Australia...

-DT

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the mag reflector is currently the best option available /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

of course, you could rig it up to use an nxo5, or frean, or 30mm, but none of those are nearly as good as the mag reflector.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
From Australia... ditto what Roth said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Halibut

Enlightened
Thanks guys. I was afraid you'd say that, because I just massacred my stock reflector while trying to hack off its cam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I just ordered some replacements. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

By the way, what size soldering tip should I use when attaching an emitter? I don't want to screw up that step.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Roth, don't you ever sleep?

-DT

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
sleep? sure, during the day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

use whatever size makes sense to you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
i've only got one size, and it's all corroded /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a big hunk as well as a small 15w, the big 80w has one small dot where it is capable of melting the solder. I tried scraping off the corrosion, but it helped only temporarily. Is there hope for it?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
80w?

why not just use a blow-torch? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
AilSnail said:
I have a big hunk as well as a small 15w, the big 80w has one small dot where it is capable of melting the solder. I tried scraping off the corrosion, but it helped only temporarily. Is there hope for it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could sand off the corrosion and use progressively finer grit (up to 600) to get it nice and polished smooth, then "tin" it with solder, turn off heat and wipe it with a cloth until only a thin coat of solder remains (should be a nice silve-gray color covering the entire working tip), thereby "plating" it to prevent further corrosion.

I use a small tub of tip cleaner I got from Radio Shack that I use for this purpose, has other ingredients to clean and "plate" the soldering iron's tip. The corrosion layer does not conduct heat nearly as well (if at all).

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks.

roth, yes but every time i use the acetylene torch my clothes goes up in fire !! :O