How well collimated is your light?

optik

Newly Enlightened
Hello illuminati!

For an upcoming exhibition, I'm looking for LED lights that throw a somewhat narrow beam with good enough collimation to be used like a projector or gobo, but with less heat and (maybe) lower focus tolerances. I'm hoping to crowd-source the search, and you all can help by doing the following:

1. Aim your favorite light at the wall from a distance of 7.5 feet (~2.25 meters).
2. Stick a pen into the beam roughly 18" (~45cm) in front of the lens.

If your flashlight produces a nice uniform disk of light on the wall and your pen casts a crisp shadow with sharp edges, take a photo and post it here. Please list the make and model, rated output (lumens), and beam width or spot size. See my example below. I'll announce a winner once I've tested all the promising candidates.

Here's my idea of the ideal light:

* 15-25 degree beam = spot diameter of 22"-33" at 7' (50-80cm at 2m)
* uniformly bright spot with sharp shadows throughout
* fast fall-off and minimal spill outside the spot
* output in the range 300-700 lumens
* pleasant shade of white
* runs cool for hours

Most likely the only viable candidates will use aspheric lenses; on-axis reflectors tend to produce fuzzy double shadows and other artifacts.

For the curious, I'm going to buy 20 or so lights, cut off the battery barrels, connect to a DC power source, and use them to illuminate picture-forming lenses as in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNexu9a7blY

Modding flashlights may not be the way to go, so I'd also welcome recommendations for raw LED module + collimator pairs.

Thanks for your help!

-- optik

As an example, here's a photo of the spot from a "zoomable" mini Cree Q5 knockoff. The shadow is too fuzzy at the center of the spot; the beam is too wide (48 degrees); the spot is nonuniform and too dim (~180 lumen). This light originally seemed promising because it can be focused to throw a crisp image of the LED die on the wall, but it turned out that the focused beam is *not* collimated because the rays cross to form an inverted image of the die.

CreeMiniQ5pen.jpg

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Seems to me like a single LED mule with a small diode would give the crispest projection.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Few lights use the multiple lens setup that gives the best results here. Try an aspheric with another lens stuck on with a toilet paper tube.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
A well collimated aspheric can have a beam angle if 1.2º for example.

They tend to project the picture of the LED itself though.

The LED rather than a smooth round image, would be the back drop for the shadow.