2500 Lumens, what's the difference?

pageyjim

Enlightened
I am going to be laid up for a few months with an unsure future. I shouldn't do it but I am buying myself a gift to help me through it. I have it narrowed down to the MM15 or the Olight SR Mini. I like them both because they are flooders and kind of unique or atleast a little different. The SR Mini actually a little longer but not as wide being a 3-18650 design which I like. And the MM15, shorter and a little wider being a 4-18650 design. But now to the title of the thread, there is an app 2500 lumen difference. When comparing do I say its twice as bright? Which is significant or 2500 lumens brighter which seems even more so? I guess I am having a hard time gauging the difference without a direct comparison and wondering how the difference will be perceived. Feel free to throw in your 2 cents on the lights mentioned.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I am going to be laid up for a few months with an unsure future. I shouldn't do it but I am buying myself a gift to help me through it. I have it narrowed down to the MM15 or the Olight SR Mini. I like them both because they are flooders and kind of unique or atleast a little different. The SR Mini actually a little longer but not as wide being a 3-18650 design which I like. And the MM15, shorter and a little wider being a 4-18650 design. But now to the title of the thread, there is an app 2500 lumen difference. When comparing do I say its twice as bright? Which is significant or 2500 lumens brighter which seems even more so? I guess I am having a hard time gauging the difference without a direct comparison and wondering how the difference will be perceived. Feel free to throw in your 2 cents on the lights mentioned.

Lumens are invisible, you can't see them. They are essentially the photons flying out of the light, but, they didn't hit anything yet to bounce back and create an image for your eye to see. If they do hit something, and the light bounces back to your eyes, you perceive that as brightness, or lux.

What you can see, is the lux.

So, the tighter the beam, the more the photons are concentrated into a smaller circle of light, which then looks "brighter".

When you spread the beam out (Flood), the same photons are hitting a larger surface area, and, this dilutes the brightness you see.

It takes a LOT more photons to cover a larger area, and, that means more lumens are needed to do it.

Humans are HORRIBLE light meters, so judging brightness is very very difficult, especially as soon as it reaches our saturation point (Glare).

We ARE good at seeing targets though, so, the best way to visualize this is to say that you can have two identical lights, with the same beam angles, except one is putting out 20% more lumens. Shined at a white wall, most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Shined out in a field with trees and shrubs or other people in it as reference points, you WOULD see more trees and shrubs and people with the higher output light, even if you could not tell it was brighter.

In the case of the MM15 and the Mini, the beam angles are different, so, you'd see farther with the MM15, and, in a broader field of view. So, you WOULD be able to tell the difference in this case.

If either form factor, etc, would work for you, the MM15 would be noticeable brighter and light up a larger area.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
If I'd to choose between these two, I would go for the MM15. The Olight looks better IMO, but 5000+ lumens in that size.. That's just crazy :D

pageyjim

Enlightened
Lumens are invisible, you can't see them. They are essentially the photons flying out of the light, but, they didn't hit anything yet to bounce back and create an image for your eye to see. If they do hit something, and the light bounces back to your eyes, you perceive that as brightness, or lux.

What you can see, is the lux.

So, the tighter the beam, the more the photons are concentrated into a smaller circle of light, which then looks "brighter".

When you spread the beam out (Flood), the same photons are hitting a larger surface area, and, this dilutes the brightness you see.

It takes a LOT more photons to cover a larger area, and, that means more lumens are needed to do it.

Humans are HORRIBLE light meters, so judging brightness is very very difficult, especially as soon as it reaches our saturation point (Glare).

We ARE good at seeing targets though, so, the best way to visualize this is to say that you can have two identical lights, with the same beam angles, except one is putting out 20% more lumens. Shined at a white wall, most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Shined out in a field with trees and shrubs or other people in it as reference points, you WOULD see more trees and shrubs and people with the higher output light, even if you could not tell it was brighter.

In the case of the MM15 and the Mini, the beam angles are different, so, you'd see farther with the MM15, and, in a broader field of view. So, you WOULD be able to tell the difference in this case.

If either form factor, etc, would work for you, the MM15 would be noticeable brighter and light up a larger area.

I have read many times about light, lumens, lux and how our eyes perceive them. Thanks for what is for me the best description I have read.

pageyjim

Enlightened
If I'd to choose between these two, I would go for the MM15. The Olight looks better IMO, but 5000+ lumens in that size.. That's just crazy :D

That about sums it up. I do like the looks etc of the SR Mini but 5000+ lumens of the MM15 is insane.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
How practical are these small and light superpower lights? How long can they output at maximum lumens before thermal step down occurs or the light gets too hot to hold? Looks to me like inadequate mass or finning to allow much time at maximum output.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mm15 uses mtg2 LED's in a shallow reflector. I don't thing it would provide more lux. I could be wrong though I've never had a multi emitter light

TEEJ

Flashaholic
How practical are these small and light superpower lights? How long can they output at maximum lumens before thermal step down occurs or the light gets too hot to hold? Looks to me like inadequate mass or finning to allow much time at maximum output.

It's like people for example....they might be able to run 30 mph for a hundred yards or so, and then they have to "step down" to avoid permanent damage.

They might be able to go 1/2 that speed for a mile or so....and so forth.

Would you want to be ABLE to run 30 mph to get to a tree before a bear catches up, or, be limited to 1/2 that so you don't have a "step down"?

:D

pageyjim

Enlightened

Good point imo. I went with the MM15. First one only had turbo with the switch pressed and would not stay in turbo with the double click. My second one works correctly. It gets very hot app 90 seconds in and after 3 min pretty hot and hard to hold. So practically it is a 2k lumen flood with a 5200 lumen short term turbo boost. The handle may solve that to some extent. I haven't seen the auto stepdown work, it gets too hot imo. Not ideal but it is what it is. Most thermal stepdowns that I have are 10-25%. This one is app 150% so it is noticeable obviously. If you expect it you won't be disappointed, if you expect to be running on turbo for long periods that could be another story. Although I wish I could have a short time turbo to this extent on other lights. It depends on how you want to look at it.

Last edited:

pageyjim

Enlightened
The mm15 uses mtg2 LED's in a shallow reflector. I don't thing it would provide more lux. I could be wrong though I've never had a multi emitter light

Correct, it is rated at app 20k cd. To put that in perspective the TM11, a flood "monster" in its own right has a 40k cd rating. The MM15 with 5233 lumens doesn't throw as far as I thought it would. But that is just a personal expectation. I wonder with a third MT-G2 emitter at app 7500 lumens how big a reflector would be needed to give it decent throw numbers. Probably not practical but it might be interesting.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure I have the solarforce k3 head which is about a 1.5" reflector and there is no hotspot to speak of. Throws Ok because of sheer output so I think you'dneed a very large and deep head to focus that emitter let alone multiple ones

pageyjim

Enlightened
I'm not sure I have the solarforce k3 head which is about a 1.5" reflector and there is no hotspot to speak of. Throws Ok because of sheer output so I think you'dneed a very large and deep head to focus that emitter let alone multiple ones

Indeed! A TK75 on steroids. Not practical, just fun to imagine.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
It's like people for example....they might be able to run 30 mph for a hundred yards or so, and then they have to "step down" to avoid permanent damage.

They might be able to go 1/2 that speed for a mile or so....and so forth.

Would you want to be ABLE to run 30 mph to get to a tree before a bear catches up, or, be limited to 1/2 that so you don't have a "step down"?

:D

I would still like to see manufacturers specify both maximum Lumens and maximum continuous Lumens for their lights. I "assume" that normally lights can run on High continuously but most cannot run on their "turbo" mode without overheating. Of course we all know how dangerous "assume" can be.

ven

Flashaholic
Tough.........ish choice,i chose the mm15 in vn flavour as its a flood monster,its a nicely made light,not perfect UI but not bad either.Takes some getting used to.....

Now if we are going of standard mm15 at 5200lm ish then it will be used for short periods due to heat,most of the time it will be in 2000lm mode 5(i guess)

The olight looks a very solid light,i will be adding one at a later date as not a priority want light right now,banggood have them for £72 which imo is good value.

Decide on use,decide on times of use,go off what suits your needs,what i can tell you is the olight will not give as much WOW factor as the mm15.........

tiny mm15vn

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder

Unfortunately i cant add any pics of the olight as i dont have one..........:fail: but certainly see the attraction to the solid looking light........

Check step downs on the olight,may find it needs to be run less than mm15.............might not,that way it may sway your decision regarding personal use(not checked specs of olight).

Good luck with decision,i honestly dont think you would be disappointed with either(definitely not the niwalker).
In the box of mm15vn

specs of standard mm15

Bare in mind the times include step downs,no way on this earth will it run at 5200lm for 2hrs+ .

GregP507

Newly Enlightened
I've seen flashlights for sale from China which claim to be rated at 18000 lumens, using 18 CREE XML T6 LEDs. This may be true, but the two 18650 batteries driving it are hopelessly inadequate for the task. By my calculations, it would need at least 54 amps to achieve the rated brightness, no mean task for any flashlight battery. Tube extensions are available as an option, to include more batteries in series, but that doesn't seem practical.

When just two batteries are used, the light turns on of course, but nowhere near the rated brightness. I suspect that many people are being fooled by this.

Last edited: