Fenix RC40 maintenance

Maxam

Newly Enlightened
I have (literally) just ordered a Fenix RC40 torch which should by all accounts be arriving on Tuesday. I was hoping the wonderful people of the CPF may be able to advise me on how properly to look after it?

Particularly, I was hoping to find out how I might best preserve the battery, for example: when charging is it okay to leave it plugged in or should I always unplug when it reaches full charge?

I'm a noob to high spec torches and don't intend to be paying this much for another torch in the near future so I'd really appreciate any other advice you guys think would be helpful to ensure I get the maximum life out of my purchase.

Thanks in advance,

Maxam

kj2

Flashaholic
To be on the safe-side, unplug when the battery is fully charged. When not in use for a longer time, remove the battery. Charge the battery at least, once every 2-3 months.
I assume Fenix will have a part about this, in the included manual. But especially, enjoy your light :)

ven

Flashaholic
Not sure on this but i am sure others could advise,you might be able to lock out when not using,little twist of tail cap so no drain on cell.

Check threads are clean,always worth cleaning once in a while too and a little lube,helps O ring life,helps keep water out and makes the threads a little smoother.

Yes read manual,may suggest to run cell down and charge a cycle periodically for cell life(olight does on the r40 iirc).

Congrats and enjoy:D

Maxam

Newly Enlightened
Okay, whats the deal with charging the battery, should I wait until its fully discharged before charging or is it okay to top it up? Equally, should the cells be fully discharged to zero before charging?

ven

Flashaholic
When it comes in mail it should be around 40% charged at 3.7v,so charge up straight away.The light will have warnings on it before over discharge .....

I like to top off my cells,so for example you go out,use light for 40 minutes,come back,then stick on charge and top it off.

Everyone uses slightly different,that waythat i use, i am good to go next time.............as for example you next 40 minute walk may be close to the cell getting low.(just an example)

No need to get too deep,just common sense,do a little reading up on li ion cells,all will be well:D

Maxam

Newly Enlightened
Excellent, thanks for that. I am not going to go crazy, I just want to look after it as it has cost me a lot of money and a lot of negotiation with the other half!!

ven

Flashaholic
Excellent, thanks for that. I am not going to go crazy, I just want to look after it as it has cost me a lot of money and a lot of negotiation with the other half!!

Nothing wrong with that,i always look after my lights the best i can,little too fastidiously at times admittedly.Some lights are just work lights,still get looked after,cleaned up,threads cleaned and lubed periodically ,if cells are alki, i change regular(work lights).Li ion cells i tops off,lights not used are locked out,then get used if left for a month or so for a bit...........does get more difficult with the more lights you get :laughing: cells stored for future purchases are at around 40-50% charge.........

Maxam

Newly Enlightened
Ha ha, well I'm hoping this isn't the start of an expensive hobby. I purposely chose a light that had a range of settings to try to make it more versatile, but I suppose I could stretch to something smaller if it becomes necessary though I'm hoping that for all practical purposes the RC40 will do the job!

ven

Flashaholic
Ha ha, well I'm hoping this isn't the start of an expensive hobby. I purposely chose a light that had a range of settings to try to make it more versatile, but I suppose I could stretch to something smaller if it becomes necessary though I'm hoping that for all practical purposes the RC40 will do the job!

And the journey begins.....................:D

Something smaller,something to edc,something to throw really far,something to flood everywhere,something in ti.........then it will be tints,warmer tints,cooler.........it wont end :laughing: and i have not even gone to modded/custom lights:D best get some good negotiation practice at the ready:laughing:

kj2

Flashaholic
True.. It all starts with one light ;)
The RC40 is still a light that I want. Only wished Fenix gave it an update to XM-L2 U2 leds.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
This hobby really drains my pocket indeed. But I still want more...

This addiction kinda sucks sometimes because it can really drain your bank account. But still I don't regret buying them. What a dilemma this is!

ven

Flashaholic
This hobby really drains my pocket indeed. But I still want more...

This addiction kinda sucks sometimes because it can really drain your bank account. But still I don't regret buying them. What a dilemma this is!

I like to look at it this way,yes it costs and there are far more expensive interests out there for sure,but lights are one of the most useful and come in handy for just about anything for 1/2 the day everyday(depending where you live :laughing: ).

But apart from that on the spend side, it makes you appreciate your purchases more,makes you a little bit more careful in choice.This requires a little(or a lot) of research which for me makes it more interesting. Paying out $XXX makes you want to pick the right light,research is required for me so i get it right..........so far thanks to CPF i have imo(thats all that matters to me, is its right for me ) I try and advise others around their preferences ...........

I did not need to join CPF,i had a few nice lights before(admittedly they are a lot better since)but we can all nip to the flashlight shop,buy off ebay and more than likely be happy and have years of use. Would we know if it was good or poor performance..............if we knew no different i presume we would be happy and most people would not know who are not researchers.

This tends to bring you here if you research!

So CPF enlightens us ,thanks to knowledgeable members,giving up time,reviews,pics,vids all takes time/effort and all for the members to help us choose the perfect light for our needs:twothumbs

The members here have increased my interest,also on the forum as well as new brands that i would not of known about .Vinh has significantly changed my flashlight thoughts all for the better in pretty much every way:D i am yet to get a gizmo but i will later in year........

So yes,once a flashaholic its now part of the household outgoings.............but we are here,we are posting about it,we have similar interests.........how good is that:twothumbs

Enjoy your lights,make sure research is done and dont have any regrets,if its too much money then save or choose different............simple as that.

Dont rule out some cheaper brands too,plenty of excellent value lights out there.

On Fenix i really enjoy their brand,only have 5 of there lights and 1 to come yet.Would i buy more too right i would but not just for the sake of if.......

What i chose to do is buy specific lights for specific applications,be it flood/throw,tint or a mix of all.

I am now trying to space purchases out,reasons well..........i imho (personal here) dont feel i get the most out of a light if i had 5 in mail at same time,dont get value for money as i may just find i have one fav light and just use that.So a little time in between purchases helps. The members name slips my mind buy his philosophy was spot on.He sees a light he wants,he holds off iirc for a month,if he still really wants that light then he gets it so no spur of the moment buys..............i just need to practice that
:laughing:

sorry for waffle,it was not me it was my fingers........:D

Regards ven

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to look at it this way,yes it costs and there are far more expensive interests out there for sure,but lights are one of the most useful and come in handy for just about anything for 1/2 the day everyday(depending where you live :laughing: ).

But apart from that on the spend side, it makes you appreciate your purchases more,makes you a little bit more careful in choice.This requires a little(or a lot) of research which for me makes it more interesting. Paying out $XXX makes you want to pick the right light,research is required for me so i get it right..........so far thanks to CPF i have imo(thats all that matters to me, is its right for me ) I try and advise others around their preferences ...........

I did not need to join CPF,i had a few nice lights before(admittedly they are a lot better since)but we can all nip to the flashlight shop,buy off ebay and more than likely be happy and have years of use. Would we know if it was good or poor performance..............if we knew no different i presume we would be happy and most people would not know who are not researchers.

This tends to bring you here if you research!

So CPF enlightens us ,thanks to knowledgeable members,giving up time,reviews,pics,vids all takes time/effort and all for the members to help us choose the perfect light for our needs:twothumbs

The members here have increased my interest,also on the forum as well as new brands that i would not of known about .Vinh has significantly changed my flashlight thoughts all for the better in pretty much every way:D i am yet to get a gizmo but i will later in year........

So yes,once a flashaholic its now part of the household outgoings.............but we are here,we are posting about it,we have similar interests.........how good is that:twothumbs

Enjoy your lights,make sure research is done and dont have any regrets,if its too much money then save or choose different............simple as that.

Dont rule out some cheaper brands too,plenty of excellent value lights out there.

On Fenix i really enjoy their brand,only have 5 of there lights and 1 to come yet.Would i buy more too right i would but not just for the sake of if.......

What i chose to do is buy specific lights for specific applications,be it flood/throw,tint or a mix of all.

I am now trying to space purchases out,reasons well..........i imho (personal here) dont feel i get the most out of a light if i had 5 in mail at same time,dont get value for money as i may just find i have one fav light and just use that.So a little time in between purchases helps. The members name slips my mind buy his philosophy was spot on.He sees a light he wants,he holds off iirc for a month,if he still really wants that light then he gets it so no spur of the moment buys..............i just need to practice that
:laughing:

sorry for waffle,it was not me it was my fingers........:D

Regards ven

I agree. Waiting and doing some research is all part of the fun indeed. Too many lights at one time is a bit overwhelming. And yeah Fenix has been releasing some really nice lights. My first light was from them, the Fenix LD41. :)