Driver for a 1x CR123A light

sortafast

Enlightened
I am looking into designing and building my own 1x CR123A light for a special application and need to figure out a driver for it. It will run a Cree XPG-2 on either a 20mm board or possibly a smaller one if need be. Its been awhile since I have really played with light building so I am just trying to figure out what is the best out there. I know the Sandwich Shoppe has some and I think they'd work. Are there any others to look for out there. The light will be around 1" max in diameter but I haven't settled on a design yet so I have a lot of flexibility at this point.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
There are several sources for what you are seeking. A simple easy board to use is one based around the AMC 7135 regulator. Will work down to 2.7 volts so you can get 90% out of a CR123 and you can use a rechargeable if so desired.

sortafast

Enlightened
I have messed with the AMC7135's before on multi-cell lights (alkaline and lithium batteries). But what should I do for a 1cell CR123A light? Go with a buck/boost type driver or just one of those 7135 boards? I didn't think that the 7135 based drivers would step up the voltage if needed. I thought they were more of a buck type converter or a pass through where they just regulate the current and not the voltage? Maybe my understand of this stuff is weak since I am a far better machinist than an electrical engineer. Like I said, its been awhile.