First 18650 light Nitecore P16

Boxer4u

Newly Enlightened
So I joined the forum awhile back, and have just kinda been lurking and reading up on reviews and battery saftey. I just purchased my first 18650 light, charger, and a couple batteries. I decided to go with the nitecore P16 because of its throw capability, size, output, interface and price. I paid $60 shipped for the light off of Amazon, pretty good deal I think. Also its the same price for a P12 but with more throw. Also I purchased the nitecore i4 and a couple orbtronics 3400s. The batts came to me with 3.62v, tested with my multimeter. The charger seems pretty slow as its going on 3 hours now and theyre not fully charged yet. But I hear that a slower charge is a good thing for the cells. Im using slots 1&2 currently for these batts.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and see what you guys think. I also picked up a Thrunite tn12 for the wife for $50. I couldnt really pass that up as it seemed like a good deal.

What brand do you guys recommend for protected 18650s? I found a decent deal on deal extreme for 4 panasonic ncr18650b protected cells for around $33 or so...

I couldnt find many reviews on the P16 but the specs look pretty good for the price

TCY

Enlightened
At the cost of being pocket-able/an EDC light.

But congrats boxer4u:twothumbs

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I joined the forum awhile back, and have just kinda been lurking and reading up on reviews and battery saftey. I just purchased my first 18650 light, charger, and a couple batteries. I decided to go with the nitecore P16 because of its throw capability, size, output, interface and price. I paid $60 shipped for the light off of Amazon, pretty good deal I think. Also its the same price for a P12 but with more throw. Also I purchased the nitecore i4 and a couple orbtronics 3400s. The batts came to me with 3.62v, tested with my multimeter. The charger seems pretty slow as its going on 3 hours now and theyre not fully charged yet. But I hear that a slower charge is a good thing for the cells. Im using slots 1&2 currently for these batts.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and see what you guys think. I also picked up a Thrunite tn12 for the wife for $50. I couldnt really pass that up as it seemed like a good deal.

What brand do you guys recommend for protected 18650s? I found a decent deal on deal extreme for 4 panasonic ncr18650b protected cells for around $33 or so...

I couldnt find many reviews on the P16 but the specs look pretty good for the price

bE1p8Qh.jpg

jGPsail.jpg

i'd have to call bull$hit on this (yet again) :(

i have a lux meter and these are the numbers i've gotten from these lights:

Nitecore P16: 14,600
Nitecore SRT7: 20,300
Nitecore P12: 8,850
Sunwayman D40A: 22,500
Foursevens MMX Burst: 20,400
Zebralight SC600 Mk2 L2: 8,560
Klarus ST11 (orange peel): 12,900
Foursevens MMU-X Gen2: 28,300
Supbeam L15 (XM-L2): 19,700
Supbeam L25 (1-cell): 29,700
Supbeam L25 (2-cell): 36,500
Supbeam K40 (modded): 308,000

the Nitecore P16 definitely has below-average throw for a 40mm head. P16, SRT7, L15, MMX all have similar size heads

in fact it barely beats the smaller klarus ST11 w/ ORANGE PEEL

Boxer4u

Newly Enlightened
I find it hard to believe that its only 14.6k. Your measurement as well as selfbuilts measurement of the srt7 is around 21k. Nitecore advertises 23kcd on that light. This light is bright and throws a good beam. You may be right, but im impressed with it.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it hard to believe that its only 14.6k. Your measurement as well as selfbuilts measurement of the srt7 is around 21k. Nitecore advertises 23kcd on that light. This light is bright and throws a good beam. You may be right, but im impressed with it.

there's no way the P16 throws better than SRT7. try holding them side-by-side and you'll see how SHALLOW the P16 reflector is relative to the SRT7. and if you'll notice the reflector isn't shiny (like a mirror) it's got that micro-texturing to it which i guess is what nitecore calls "crystal coating technology". it's certainly not helping with THROW because it scatters the light a bit.

i've tested 4 units P16 just to make sure. it is a below-average thrower for it's 40mm size class. but if you don't have other lights to test against then i'm not surprised that you're impressed with it ;)

Last edited:

Boxer4u

Newly Enlightened
Listen champ, im not saying it throws better than the srt7. Actually, the info that I just gave about the srt7 shows a higher cd than the p16. What im saying is that your measurement as well as selfbuilts is about 2kcd off of what nitecore claims the srt7 cd numbers. Also, their claim of 12.4kcd for the p12 and selfbuilts measurement of the p12 at 11.6kcd. Given those values, I just dont see how your estimate is so far off. Why would one light be 2k from their claim, yet another similar light is 6k off? Doesnt seem right. Also, the reflector on my p16 has no texture, it is very smooth just like a mirror. So maybe you have an old out dated version :confused: