Night Adventures with flashlights (Indoor options)

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Looking for options or suggestions for night adventures.

I've been going night hiking with a bunch of flashlights.

Are there indoor options that you know of?

I know some people who got permission to explore a supposedly haunted airport hanger. They spent several hours there ghost hunting. Are there similar options that you know of or other indoor options with large area? I am trying to find options with less exposure to wildlife, hence indoor, but long enough for a 2 hour+ excursion.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for options or suggestions for night adventures.

I've been going night hiking with a bunch of flashlights.

Are there indoor options that you know of?

I know some people who got permission to explore a supposedly haunted airport hanger. They spent several hours there ghost hunting. Are there similar options that you know of or other indoor options with large area? I am trying to find options with less exposure to wildlife, hence indoor, but long enough for a 2 hour+ excursion.

It is one of my major hobbies and i belong to Urbex which basically means any disused building/bunker is fair game for an exploration.Check the trespass laws in your country before entering any empty building as here in the UK it is a big joke and you will never get done.You need three good lights for exploring so pack your kit accordingly.A good wide beam unit,a good unit that give you a long distance and a simple tiny back up around your neck will be fine.

In your kit take along a drink,food,knife,paracord,multi-tool,pocket sized first aid kit,spare batteries and a fully charged camera.Have a fully charged mobile phone and tell someone roughly where you are going and your intended return.

When exploring ex military sites take extra care if you find underground bunkers and those are best explored in a larger group for safety reasons.

It is great fun.

weez82

Enlightened
I think he is looking for PLACES to play, not the toys to play with.

Kinda sad when you have to guess what the question is.

Yeah, after rereading his post with fresh eyes, that makes sense. I was doing some late night reading before bed and thought he wanted to know what lights to bring for indoor adventures:oops: lol

YBCold

Newly Enlightened
me personally when im up close in a place i like lots of flood so anything floody is good, then one thing that can spot.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many universities have underground tunnels (at least they do here in the midwest USA). These can be fun to explore, but if you're not a student or employee it may be frowned upon. By brother gets a kick out of exploring city sewers. I'm not sure what the laws are on that, and I've never tried it myself. Some cities have large parking garage/transit tunnel/hotel/whatever interconnections, above and/or below ground. These are usually partially lit, but likely more dangerous than wildlife you're trying to avoid.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not much of an adventure, but I like to do daily tasks around the apartment with a headlamp just to change things up. It turns out that for a lot of things it's actually even easier to see what I'm doing with it. If you let the chores pile up then it might last more than 2 hours, ha!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not much of an adventure, but I like to do daily tasks around the apartment with a headlamp just to change things up. It turns out that for a lot of things it's actually even easier to see what I'm doing with it. If you let the chores pile up then it might last more than 2 hours, ha!

I honestly cannot believe a fully grown adult would admit to that.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
blah9, I think that's a great way to test your lights to make sure they work for you prior to truly needing them (power outage, etc).

I honestly cannot believe a fully grown adult would admit to that.

Your posts never add much to the conversation, do they?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
blah9, I think that's a great way to test your lights to make sure they work for you prior to truly needing them...

Cland72 is so right. Not only that, but leaving lights on all over the house uses much more electricity than just using a headlamp with fewer lights on. Cleaning mirrors, windows, walls and floors are so much more effective with the direct light. People would be surprised how much better cobwebs, dust, dirt, and glass smears show up that way. If sustained over time, a person would be saving energy. Household energy use is enormous, and while only a few people will do this, Every bit helps, don't you think?

Whenever encountering a chronic critic, it makes sense to try to remember the person became that way, probably because of circumstances in their life beyond their control... Now if I (!) could just remember to be more sensible, more often.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
blah9, I think that's a great way to test your lights to make sure they work for you prior to truly needing them (power outage, etc).

Your posts never add much to the conversation, do they?

If you say so so chappy.I say it as seen.Would you like me to get your permission to post so you can check the contents to make sure it is suitable for you.

Queens English is light hearted with banter,chill out.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic

I'm sitting here chuckling, but with a smile on my face. Yes it does seem a little odd, to me, but what the heck! If it breaks up your day, that's good enough reason. And should there be a time that "lights are out" you won't be as stressed as others, because you are already comfortable, from practice. :thumbsup:

As anyone who has put together a survival BOG knows, it is best to use the equipment in it so that you are intimately familiar with its contents and are comfortable using them.

Taz80

Enlightened
Nobody home but me tonight. So prior to logging on to CPF I fixed the dog dinner and some popcorn for me using only my recently acquired HL50. I guess I'm 54 going on 16, but I get it:popcorn:!

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I headlamp around the house many times a week, whenever I'm up late. Great for saving energy, light already available when you go outside, less chance of waking up family members, and less ambient light late at night means you don't throw off your body's natural rhythms. Far from immature if you ask me ;)

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got through playing hide and seek in the house with my 2 year old and his 5 year old cousin. All lights turned off, using nothing but flashlights to get around.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whenever I babysit my three year old granddaughter I take my two FourSevens headbands with Atoms, Minis or some combination. We turn all the lights off and have wonderful adventures, all the while becoming intimately familiar with the equipment, and she has learned when I give the "Danger" sign, she knows she must be very very quiet. After a snack in the tent(sheets and chairs), we brush teeth say prayers and climb into bed for a story. In the event of a seriously dangerous event, she knows how to be quiet(even when very scared-daddy sometimes plays the "bad guy" breaking into the house)... I hope she never needs to be silent because her life depends on it, but if it does she knows how...and at 3 1/2 years old she can breakdown most of my lights, replace "O" rings and lube them and knows how to check voltage of lithium cells. I realize it is a little off topic, but our little night time adventures can have real world benefits. She is also ready to start geocaching with me-a great night time adventure but it does not meet the criteria of not encountering dangerous wildlife or worse wild humans...

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, I didn't realize that my post would create such a debate. :) I like the other ideas people have posted here as well. Light fascinates me, so there are all sorts of fun things to do with it indoors!