ZL SC62c High-CRI, 1x18650, 320lm

markr6

Flashaholic
We have WAAAAAY too many SC6__ threads. Can we merge? (no offense to the op)

server

Newly Enlightened
you can delete it, i didn't see a thread for sc62c, but if it's discussed in other threads - mods pls delete :)

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
320 lm.

i blow this away with my single AA/14500 SC52 L2 ;)

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
not at the same CRI you don't :)

No, but the XML2 they use in the SC52w-L2 is impressively good. It's not quite as good as a Nichia 219A (or perhaps the Phillips... I don't have one), but I was impressed that an XML emitter could look that good. And, you have to like the brightness and efficiency of the XML.

leaftye

Newly Enlightened
The nice part is the tint. 4000k. Cree has 90+ CRI XM-L2 and XP-G2 emitters, but they're 2700-2900k.

markr6

Flashaholic
not at the same CRI you don't :)

And 3hrs runtime vs. 50 minutes! Even less if you're messing around with the 500lm burst. SC52 is an awesome light, but it depends on what you're using it for. For just a little extra length, I choose my SC62d 99% of the time. And when I get the SC62w, I may finally have my grail!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The nice part is the tint. 4000k. Cree has 90+ CRI XM-L2 and XP-G2 emitters, but they're 2700-2900k.

Personally, I like warmer tints. I can't find any off-the-shelf lights with the warm high-CRI Cree emitter. 2700K-2900K sounds nice!

LEDburn

Enlightened
And 3hrs runtime vs. 50 minutes! Even less if you're messing around with the 500lm burst. SC52 is an awesome light, but it depends on what you're using it for. For just a little extra length, I choose my SC62d 99% of the time. And when I get the SC62w, I may finally have my grail!

Let's just hope they have finally sorted out the issue with flickering low modes.

My SC62d from the first batch suffered from this really bad. It got better for a month or two but then the lowest low just completely stopped lighting up.
I asked ZL if the cause had been discovered and resolved to which they assured me it was so I ordered another one about 2 months later and low and behold, the lowest modes STILL FLICKER!! Nowhere near as bad as the LED actually remains lit up but the flickering is just as apparent.

I'm contemplating returning the worse of the two and getting a SC62c instead but will wait for a few people to get them and report back first.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the ''d' version more currently, and the 'w' but for different reasons. I've not used the 'c' for photography yet so I'm not sure if there is an application where I might prefer it. It's nice, but at least on my samples I choose the 'd'. I plan to spend more time with the'c' version at some point.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee, it would sure be nice to see a beam shot of those 3 lights all side-by-side (SC62d, c, & w), maybe lighting up something colorful to give us an idea of how they render color differently.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I like warmer tints. I can't find any off-the-shelf lights with the warm high-CRI Cree emitter. 2700K-2900K sounds nice!

The only 'off the shelf' lights that I know of that use the high CRI XM-L2 are a few limited production Armytek lights that use it. But I'm not sure how easy any of these will be to get. Other than those, the high CRI XM-L2 is a rare bird in any form. It's even hard to find it on a star. So unless you can reflow (or find someone who can), it's even hard to use it for an emitter swap. The easiest way to get it is as a P60 from Nailbender. This would DEFINITELY be worth looking into if you want a light that uses this rare emitter.

I do hear a fair number of people around here say that the high CRI CREE emitters are no good because of their color temperature, and that this is why they are both poor sellers and generally unavailable. But I wouldn't think that would be the case. After all, there are LOTS of people who steadfastly stick with inefficient incandescent bulbs because they find that other light sources (like LED and CFL) just can't match the warm glow of an incandescent. I would think that these folks would LOVE these emitters.

Last edited:

just like me

Banned
Arise, old thread! Lots of SC62 threads, but I only see this one SC62c dedicated thread in my searches. Now that the SC62c is on sale, I am considering putting off getting my first choice of SC5w OP to grab up a SC62c first instead. This must be awesome in an extended loss of electrical utilities. Absurdly enough, I'll probably mostly use it as an indoor wireless bedside lamp, a main light for the room where I spend most of my time. Any other owners finding the reported flickering in the low modes?

shira

Newly Enlightened
Arise, old thread! Lots of SC62 threads, but I only see this one SC62c dedicated thread in my searches. Now that the SC62c is on sale, I am considering putting off getting my first choice of SC5w OP to grab up a SC62c first instead. This must be awesome in an extended loss of electrical utilities. Absurdly enough, I'll probably mostly use it as an indoor wireless bedside lamp, a main light for the room where I spend most of my time. Any other owners finding the reported flickering in the low modes?

I think the "High-CRI" descriptor in the thread title is a bit misleading. CRI-85 is "higher CRI," not "High CRI. I have a custom CRI-96 flashlight, and when A-B'ed against the SC62c the difference is pretty dramatic. That said, the SC62c is - by far - my favorite flashlight.

just like me

Banned
I think the "High-CRI" descriptor in the thread title is a bit misleading. CRI-85 is "higher CRI," not "High CRI. I have a custom CRI-96 flashlight, and when A-B'ed against the SC62c the difference is pretty dramatic. That said, the SC62c is - by far - my favorite flashlight.

Gotcha. I think it is a very serious light that doesn't try to be more than it is, doesn't attempt to compete via brightness.

While I understand color temp is not CRI, I think it is notable that by Zebralight's flashlight matrix, this model "c" indicator appears to have the warmest emitter offered by Zebralight at 4000K, rather I should say, Zebralight doesn't have any models that dip below CCT 4000K. That is a pretty big difference between the SC62c and other SC62 variety. I really like warm, and I really like runtime. Even if I must have another light for absurd brightness, I don't have a whole lot of use for 500-1000+ lm other than demonstrating "wow, look how bright that is." 320lm can be too bright, and 3 hours of that regulated must be intoxicating.

dubliftment

Newly Enlightened
I just received - maybe one of the last new available - SC62c. First impression: fantastic CRI, just on par with my H600Fc, and better tint and color temperature than the SC62d. No flicker on any mode - gooood! Great EDC factor. Just a bit longer than the SC52 line. A bit too throwy for my taste. I put some tape over the lens to make it a frosted one. ZL hit it with that light. Days of my SC600wMKII L2 might be counted.

Last edited: