IMALENT EU06 review (900 lm spot XM-L2 U2 + 290 lm XP-G2 R5 flood, 1x18650/2xRCR123A)

viperxp

Enlightened
Greeting All,
This review will be dedicated to a very interesting and special flashlight from Imalent company.

ib0LweO7EJ0YTL.jpg
iKiBRhwP8tUpq.jpg

So, whats so special about it?

1. The flashlight has touch-screen for controlling different modes of operation and brightness.
2. The flashlight has 3 LEDs that have completely different roles of illumination. XM-L2 U2 in the big reflector is used for throw. XP-G2 R5 is used for neutral white light, and red XP-E P2 (I suppose) is being used for floody red light.
3. The brightness can be changed in all modes, including strobe, SOS, signal mode.

In each time only one lightning option is available.

Let's get started

ixFmHhkH3ypxm.png
ii7Z1l7hPjwkJ.png

iAoujGhA4PZ3f.png
ibdB4IDHo6X5Ds.png

The flashlight arrives in a small carton box. It does not look or feel cheap at all. The box can be resealed if you did not like the flashlight ....

iN2nX4AvnZVnS.png
iYelerBb3TpZf.png
ibt9gnWUM8KuwK.png

The flashlight comes with a very decent holster (very much like the one that comes with Nitecore flashlights), spare o-rings, manual and warranty card. If you wonder where is the lanyard - it does not arrive with the flashlight, there is no lanyard hole on the flashlight.

ibeolWFKT29rsB.png
idpldikbn9MY6.png
iKcvggGoWvEfd.png

iEFKGVOt8wIJq.png
i0MgtNdFTEYbp.png

O-rings, holster - all looks good.

iw0kZDYaWp1PX.png
ibp4Q1qZNQbrJ1.png

Here it is. Looks very different from what we got used to, somewhat reminds me of a flare. It feels good to hold. When operating - all the flashlight body is evenly heated.

izxmWUKrk2rKv.png
ibohHeXHXvx8Mh.png
iblJqMmVK8Qw0x.png

The flashlight has a hole that is supposed to be used for mounting it on a tripod. The flashlight can be used in candle-mode but it is not too stable, because of the small area of the "base". The bezel is made from some kind of matte aluminum as well parts of the tailcap, the buttons and the little windows of the little reflectors.
Each side of the flashlight has a different function - one has the LCD (the touch itself is of a resistive type, not like in a modern smartphones so it can be operated when wet), left of it is the floody white, left of it the operation buttons and last the floody red light.

iPVRRJ2TMdCsm.png
iOZ0ooNS90M7k.png

The quality is excellent, there is no classical knurling. The body looks somewhat like body of the recent SRmini. There are small and even horizontal lines all over the flashlight. The threads are square cut and anodized, so a quarter turn can be used to prevent accidental activation.

iodyblfbCHcac.png
iXAtsvkXKdJHe.png
iboUVILKoL9U1W.png

The lens is toughened, and with some clear coating. I could not find any dirt/fingerprints under the lens. The LED was just a bit off-centered, it did not affect the beam pattern and did not cause artifacts. The flashlight has a throw like Olight M22, more or less. The floody side XP-G2 R5 has a much warmer and more pleasant ting without any hint of a hotspot. The red is .. just red.
Unfortunately I cannot make outdoor beamshots now, I will try adding them later.

ib2BVVqOYR4P4P.png
iWXgvv958RXp0.png
ibwf5IVNqwZq3M.png

The positive contact with the cell is made via spring in the head of the flashlight, it allows to use unprotected flat-headed cells.
The LCD is lit evenly in real-life. Every line is a brightness setting, and even strobe ans "sos" brightness setting can be adjusted.
iDYlSIWyb1Vmi.png
ibm0mM6jqWrlVR.png
ib6hba4H810YH.png
ibpx1P623Q07WW.png

Inside the battery tube there is a big spring, also with some kind of coating. We can see a different modes and screen settings.

iASPb1Co6oA7X.png
iR7hjxcztFBiW.png
iblsuFlIPJSBQv.png

iwplTM2eoAAMW.png
i9it4Ucsj4vnX.png

These are the little windows that hold the "floody" LEDs. There are no conventional reflectors inside - the light is pure flood.

iVL8QIVby7jI7.png
i38pfgq2egnUI.png

The flashlight accompanied by some other popular flashlights.

Some numbers (lux in hotspot in a distance of a meter)

Device/ModeMicroLowMidHighturbo
IMALENT EU067n/an/an/a14000
М22 Warrior-4307500-19500

Very good for a start.

Controls

ibm0mM6jqWrlVR.png
iXAtsvkXKdJHe.png

The bottom button turns the light on and off. The flashlight has brightness and mode memory - it will be turned on in the same brightness and the same reflector will be used as was used when the flashlight was turned off. The memory does not work for the special strobe modes - like in most other flashlights. For enabling the strobe modes you need to hold the "M" button for about half a second. The flashlight switches to strobe mode, another press and hold switches to SOS mode and to signalling mode. The special modes work only with the big - main reflector.
A short click on the "M" button toggles the LCD screen.
A press and hold of the "MODE" button on the LCD switches active LED in use. The cycle is main->red->flood white->main. Each can have it's own brightness setting, that is being remembered when switching modes.
The flashlight has time based step-down. After some times the brighness is reduced, and you see that some bars have dropped from the screen. You can instantly turn the light brighter again.

PWM/Noise

No pwm and no noise, on any mode on any setting.

Some issues that I encountered.

When I was using the flashlight I noticed that the buttons can be rotated. So using only my finger I could disassemble them.

iuJJ1gLWke3zA.png
ibc1Cs2lBhDdK8.png

Under the buttons I discovered the PCB and switches. I did not think such flashlight should be put under water, as water and electricity are not friends. I contacted IMALENT and got an answer that there is no current on the switches, and it was tested under water and I have nothing to worry about. I can tell that I will not submerge it.

izxmWUKrk2rKv.png

It should be a standard tripod hole. But it is not - I could not mount it - it is too small. I contacted Imalent and they told me that they will fix the problem.

Conclusions

Not all smooth, at all. But the flashlight is a unique 3-in one solution. It performs very well, does what it is supposed to do. Personally I am using and will keep on using this flashlight - from all the different flashlights that I own just because the versatility and the quality of the floody light.

I would like to thank IMALENT for providing the sample for review.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading. If you have any questions/suggestions I will be happy to hear and assist. My English is far from being perfect, so... sorry for the typos.

jimahi

Newly Enlightened
I just received this light too. In addition to the tail cap having a non-standard tripod thread, there is also a problem with the way the tail cap is attached to the body. When I put the battery in mine, I started playing with it and thought "this is pretty cool". BUT, after a few minutes the tail cap just popped off! First problem - I saw that there is NO o-ring in the tail cap. To make matters worse, the length of the threads on the tail cap are too short! The body is threaded at the tail cap, but the length of the threads on the tail cap is too short to catch anything but a tiny bit of the first thread (picture the length of a bolt being too short and only the very tip of the bolt catches the nut it is threading into). I also noticed that there is some glue on the tail cap threads. It looks like they realized there was a problem and just tried to glue it together! Definitely a design defect! The tail cap threads should be much longer and there should be an indent on the tail cap to put in an o-ring. Beware of tail caps popping off this light! When mine popped off, I couldn't get it to hold again. The pressure from the battery springs just overwhelm that tiny bit of thread that is catching.

DSC07828.jpg

viperxp

Enlightened
I just received this light too. In addition to the tail cap having a non-standard tripod thread, there is also a problem with the way the tail cap is attached to the body. When I put the battery in mine, I started playing with it and thought "this is pretty cool". BUT, after a few minutes the tail cap just popped off! First problem - I saw that there is NO o-ring in the tail cap. To make matters worse, the length of the threads on the tail cap are too short! The body is threaded at the tail cap, but the length of the threads on the tail cap is too short to catch anything but a tiny bit of the first thread (picture the length of a bolt being too short and only the very tip of the bolt catches the nut it is threading into). I also noticed that there is some glue on the tail cap threads. It looks like they realized there was a problem and just tried to glue it together! Definitely a design defect! The tail cap threads should be much longer and there should be an indent on the tail cap to put in an o-ring. Beware of tail caps popping off this light! When mine popped off, I couldn't get it to hold again. The pressure from the battery springs just overwhelm that tiny bit of thread that is catching.

DSC07828.jpg

Mine does not pop out. Actually I contacted IMALENT and they are sending me a replacement cap, with standard tripod threads. I will update the thread when I get and install it.