Found a Fenix E12 Pocket Clip

candelabrah

Newly Enlightened
I know a few folks have been looking around for a suitable clip for the Fenix E12. It's a great little light, but sorely needed a clip IMHO. I couldn't find the mystery 'tactical two-pack' from Home Depot that allegedly contained clips that fit the E12, but I did find this:

IMG_1491.jpg

That is the clip from a Zebralight H52, and it fits quite nicely... after a minor tweak. The stock H52 clip is bent at a pretty aggressive angle, and the groove of the Fenix E12 is not as deep, so it tends to do this:

IMG_1494.jpg

Even then, the clip doesn't easily pop off. It holds very well; however, it rubs the E12 body and rubs me the wrong way.

Comparison of the grooves:
IMG_1489.jpg

So, I grabbed it with some needle nose pliers at the crook on the clip side and gave it a bend outwards. In comparison to a factory H52 clip, mine now looks like this:
IMG_1493.jpg

I did my best to line up the bend of the clips, so what you're seeing is fairly accurate as to the difference when 'fixed' for the E12. Here is a shot showing the similarity in size:
IMG_1486.jpg

Lastly, the question you've all been waiting for - can it still tailstand??

Yes!

IMG_1496.jpg

Just know that it's going to stand half on the clip and half on the E12 body. It's barely less stable than the light without the clip.

Experiment with the bend. If it's too loose for your liking, you may have to dremel/sand the groove deeper. I didn't find this to be necessary, but I did notice that the light fell out of my pocket when I shook them upside-down. That's not the normal MO for my pants, so it's acceptable to me ;)

For about $3, this is a pretty sweet deal to give the E12 the clip it deserved. I did have to order a spare, but I needed a 14500 for my H52W (which is also a great light).

candelabrah

Newly Enlightened
Hey great stuff! Hmmm, maybe I should get an E12 after all... Just not a fan of the levels...

Yeah, the levels are not necessarily *ideal*, but it was a good fit for my uses - that being the need for two lights that can run on the same batteries (save the 14500) with slightly different purposes. I can tolerate non-sub-lumen output from the E12 because it's not my headlamp. As an EDC, the Fenix gives me enough options and throw to be darn good for the price.

CaseXX94

Newly Enlightened
Newbie here, Hi to all!
Been reading here and other places for a while and compliment everyone for suggestions, reviews and photos.
Got my first light this past weekend (Fenix E12) that wasn't a Mag, Surefire or the Gerber Infinity that I found and also found useless. That is until I put the clip on the Fenix. Snug as a bug, almost had to pry it on and you will have to pry it off.
Now here's my thoughts, I don't clip carry but use one to affix light to my hat for hands free work, yes I know they make hat lights but not as useful to carry daily is my thinking. So the clip will work for my intended purpose. It doesn't have much spring tension IMO to "really" secure to a pocket but will leave that up for you to decide. I don't clip carry my knives either as pocket to me means in the pocket, to each his own is my thinking here. Not knocking anyone for their preferred carry method, just a little background on how I carry.
imagejpeg

CaseXX94

Newly Enlightened
Sorry All,
Trying to upload photo but have no access to settings, my profile ect to create a album as FAQ section advises since I don't have fotobucket ect.......

I will try again later after my account has been activated a bit and see if I have access then.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Sorry All,
Trying to upload photo but have no access to settings, my profile ect to create a album as FAQ section advises since I don't have fotobucket ect.......

I will try again later after my account has been activated a bit and see if I have access then.

You don't need access to your account to post pictures. Posting Photos

Norm

CaseXX94

Newly Enlightened
imagejpeg
Norm,
Thanks for the reply but it didn't help, I had already read those as well as the below off of the FAQ page:

"How do I add an image to a post?
If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed."

At the time I posted I couldn't get to my profile page though now I can, I see a photos tab yet still can't get it to upload my photos. They are sized under 400x200

Dry-cell

Enlightened
I just got my Fenix E12 today, it's a great little AA light, it's much smaller than my Klarus ST10, in diameter, and length. At the cost of 10 less lumens, and modes, but the Fenix E12 is more comparable to the size of a AAA flashlight, with longer run-time due to increased battery capacity.
I'm pretty sure that the E Series of flashlights, don't come with pocket clips. It would have been nice to get a sheath along with the light, if a pocket clip isn't an option.

CaseXX94

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Lord,
I am contemplating taking the Dremel to it (the clip that is) and cutting off the excess from the band. It would ride deeper that way if you clip carry. Just wonder if it would adversely affect how tight is on there now.

CaseXX94

Newly Enlightened
Took Dremel to work today to tinker w/clip at lunch, buddy saw me and gave me another clip off of some Gerber he had in his desk drawer. Looked like same body as my infinity but had like a 3 or 4 color rotating head. Anyway you get 2 slightly different clips.
image.jpg

CaseXX94

Newly Enlightened
The original clip I had is on the right and still holds good and tight after trimming off the excess. The clip he gave me is on the left. I had to trim it some in the same way though it's excess was only about half as long. It did not fit the body of the Fenix near as tight but was cured by simply bending with my fingers. The clip tension itself was NON-EXISTENT so I actually had to crimp it closed some with a leatherman.

CaseXX94

Newly Enlightened
Dry-cell, thanks.
I agree with you on all counts. But I am not clip carrying as it has been "in" pocket or in this sheath I whipped together (still need to learn how to sew yet). If you want the other shoot me an address and I will send it your way next time I actually GO TO post office.
image.jpg

Dry-cell

Enlightened
I appreciate the offer CaseXX94, but I've been carrying it around in an empty pants pocket, but only when needed. If I do need a sheath, then I have Maxpedition's Single Sheath, which allows you to carry vertically or horizontally, and I also have two of Maxpedition's 4" Flashlight Sheath's as well.

Nice work on the sheath by the way, very cool!.

CaseXX94

Newly Enlightened
Dry-Cell,
Sorry for the confusion, I meant the other clip. If not, I guess I could keep it for the next light that comes without one as I can see how this light stuff could become as addicting as knives.

for.shore

Newly Enlightened
Both good ideas, I have a Gerber Infinity I could try cannibalizing a little. Never liked the size of that clip, though.

Like others, it's as much to keep it from rolling as anything else, for me.

Any new thoughts on this?

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using the clip from my LD22 and it works well. They should've made that top groove a bit wider and added an LD12 style clip in the first place!!IMG_2943 by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr