Foursevens mini MLR2 or ML-X? (or xpg vs xml)

Inova his head

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

Long time no see! I've been out of the game for a couple of years, thanks largely to reams and reams of professional exams. But I will shortly have a bit more time and I am very much looking forward to catching up with all the new technology that seems to have come along! :thumbsup:

Anyway, in the meantime, for once I have an actual legitimate need for a new light! I have settled on a foursevens mini, but would like some help as to the model. I appreciate that the MLR2 has an xp-g2 led and the ML-X has an xm-l2, but my question is how that translate in terms of their throw? Does the increased brightness of the xm-l make up for its larger for size, of will the xp-g be the better thrower?

Glad to be back!

Tom

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one with a xp-g2 will have a tighter, more focused hotspot and have a little better throw and the one with an xm-l2 will be a flood light. Neither one will have much throw in such a small light with such a small reflector and for the xml2 to outthrow the xpg2 in that light it would have to be pushed much harder and that light is not big enough to handle the heat.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you comparing a CR2 light (MLR2) to a CR123 (ML-X) light? Or are you actually comparing the ML to the ML-X?

Inova his head

Newly Enlightened
Thanks very much Lightwaker. I appreciate that I need realistic expectations about throw from such dinky lights, but that's kinda the point - if they will necessarily be fairly lacking in throw then I'd like as much as I can get!

Cland, I am indeed comparing a CR2 light to a CR123. I see from the foursevens website that the MLR2 and ML have the same output levels, and I'd rather sacrifice size for runtime! :)

Tom

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're welcome. The regular Quark with a xpg2 throws pretty good if you can tolerate a little bigger EDC light.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a XPG2 QPLC which tops out at 246 lumens, and it performs VERY well for being in such a compact package. I'd be willing to bet the XPG2 would out throw the XML2 simply because the reflector isn't big/deep enough to focus the XML2 enough to gain any throw. That being said, the XML2 will be a GREAT flooder, which is probably more suitable in a small EDC pocket light. You can't go wrong either way.

Kingfisher

Enlightened
I just bought a xp-g Gen 2 to go with some cr2 batteries I acquired. It turns out to be a neat little pocket light (even keychain) and a lot smaller than I expected.

Next to the tiny Fenix EO5:

Last edited: