Surefire A2L Aviator Red

00ChevyScott

Newly Enlightened
I was browsing the bay to try and snag some older model Surefires and came across an A2L BNIB for ~$140. I thought about it for a bit but it is now on it's way to me.

I know its an older light and out of vogue these days, but I love the design of the A and L series lights so I was willing to give up the brightness in exchange for style. I had wanted to get the LX2 for the longest time, but the unique characteristics of the Aviator line was enough to get me to bite. I can't wait to get it

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire A4L Aviator Red

Do you mean an A2L-RD? If so, it's an awesome light! I owned one for the longest time and it never let me down.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

I see LX2 heads on eBay from time to time for around $80-90, if you ever want the best of both worlds!

If you want to upgrade the primary LED at any point, there's a forum member named Nitroz here who does some excellent work with Surefire lights.

Last edited:

00ChevyScott

Newly Enlightened

I see LX2 heads on eBay from time to time for around $80-90, if you ever want the bet of both worlds!

If you want to upgrade the primary LED at any point, there's a forum member named Nitroz here who does some excellent work with Surefire lights.

Uh oh :paypal: :devil:

yowzer

Enlightened

For a real treat, see if you can find an original A2 with the regulated incandescent bulb.

KQL

Newly Enlightened

I had thought all the incandescent aviators were regulated. Why do you think yours is not?

00ChevyScott

Newly Enlightened

For a real treat, see if you can find an original A2 with the regulated incandescent bulb.

I've always had LED lights, as I missed the boat on the good incan stuff (minus the old standby, the maglite). Is it worth picking up one of the old incan Surefires? What makes it different than the LED version minus the tint?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had thought all the incandescent aviators were regulated. Why do you think yours is not?

All incan A2s are regulated. The bulb is not what houses the electronics.

Tuna

Newly Enlightened
Yes, although Surefire had changed the A2 bodies over the years from a 4 sided more squarish body to a later rounded 3 sided version, the electonics have always been in the body and not in the bezel (head) of the light.

recDNA

Flashaholic
What is the advantage of the A2 WH model? Seems like it would be better to have colored secondary led's.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some folks just want normal white light with ultra long run time. I can say that while the A2L-RD was great for checking on my son in the middle of the night, it sucked for identifying colos. The same could be said for blue and green as well. You don't have that problem with white.

archimedes

Flashaholic
What is the advantage of the A2 WH model? Seems like it would be better to have colored secondary led's.

Some folks just want normal white light with ultra long run time....

And the white LED "triple" provides more of a floody beam, without an intense central "hotspot" ... the exact opposite to that of the central incandescent lamp.

The stock A2-WH ring tint is rather cool, however. Modded rings with "warm white" emitters (such as those from koala or calipsoii) are quite a nice upgrade :)

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thanks...thinking of grabbing an A2 before they disappear. Is it possible to upgrade the bulb as well? I assume not since electronics control output.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2L really outputs decent amount of light on high in quality darkness. 120 lumens of floody goodness.

Its time to take my A2L green out of storage for Halloween! Tommy Knocker green baby!

If you can find one pick up a A2Z. Awesome flood and a pencil thin high beam to reach out and touch someone! My favorite hand held trail light at night.

00ChevyScott

Newly Enlightened
Well she arrived today. And she's a beaut!

Kl1iIqZ.jpg

452YTa4.jpg

yowzer

Enlightened
Thanks...thinking of grabbing an A2 before they disappear. Is it possible to upgrade the bulb as well? I assume not since electronics control output.

Fivemega did a few runs of an adaptor to use Streamlight Strion bulbs, which are brighter. I have one (and a warm white LED ring from calipsoii). A want ad on the custom maker b/s/t forum might get results.

There's also the Lumens Factory HO-A2 bulb.