*new* Fenix HL25 headlamp,three AAA batteries,max 280 lumens.

colight

Enlightened
Fenix release a new headlamp HL25, first headlamp that uses three AAA batteries,max 280 lumens.
HL25_zpsf2497e9b.jpg

1020201415556AM50171_zps5651e2e9.jpg

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Looks good :) but battery choice..
That cadet grey color is real nice. Not your standard anodizing color.

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, this one looks really interesting. If it's AAA even better. I guess runtimes won't be impressive but for me in a way it would work well as I use AAAs with my Garmin Foretrex. Any provisional release date?

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
how do you think fo the AAA batteries

Well 1x AAA is fine but 3.. Batteries always come in pairs, in the stores, so that isn't handy. They're readily available so that's a plus. :)
Would have to see it and use it to know how it really turns out.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I'm most worried is performance with AA/AAA lithiums. My HL30 still has its low "on steroids" after using it with same pair of lithium AAs for months...
For obvious reasons such as reduced weight, longer runtimes, better performance in harsh conditions ecc. people using lights for outdoors recreational activities definitely want to be able to use lithium AA/AAA batteries without losing modes!
It's not something so hard to understand, is it? I hope Fenix get it too at last!

kj2

Flashaholic
What I'm most worried is performance with AA/AAA lithiums. My HL30 still has its low "on steroids" after using it with same pair of lithium AAs for months...
For obvious reasons such as reduced weight, longer runtimes, better performance in harsh conditions ecc. people using lights for outdoors recreational activities definitely want to be able to use lithium AA/AAA batteries without losing modes!
It's not something so hard to understand, is it? I hope Fenix get it too at last!

And hope it doesn't flicker ;)

kj2

Flashaholic
:laughing::laughing:

I didn't want to ask for too much but since we are there what about a nice moonlight mode? :whistle:

If I've read correctly in Selfbuilt's LD60 review, Fenix can't add a firefly mode because their circuity is to efficient.
Adding a Firefly-mode will end-up in flickering. I wonder how ZL or ArmyTek has that 'problem' solved.
Correct me if I'm wrong pls.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Kj2. That's what I had read too at first but obviously I also wonder how other manufacturers like ZL, ArmyTek, Thrunite, FourSevens, and even Nitecore have moonlight modes on some or even all their lights. Another explanation I have read is that a boost circuit is cheaper than a buck-boost circuit.

My understanding of electronics is poor so I can't say what are the reasons but having read reviews with runtimes of FourSevens lights, I doubt efficiency is the reason why Fenix don't use moonlight.

Going back to the HL25: on the Fenix website it says the output sequence is High - Low - Medium and there is no mention of mode memory. I really hope the light doesn't come on on High all the time as IMHO it wouldn't be very useful on headlamp.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! :)
With a 4 lumen Low, lightweight, and memory mode this light is officially on my to-buy list now. I still don't hold too much hope for lithium compatibility but who knows, maybe it will work fine!

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
3xAAA, 4.5V max, single 26650 4.2V max. It should just work fine. Assuming the AAA's are in a holder.

Thanks Mr Floppy. 3xAAA lithium has nominal voltage 4.5 but the actual voltage is probably over 5V at the start and I suspect it stays that way for some time though it would depend on the current draw. I never measured it but in Fenix AA lights it takes a long time for voltage to drop and have all modes.
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l92.pdf

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to know, thanks a lot Jpmac55!

For those based in the EU, it looks like the RRP is going to be around 45 euros.

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends what you are looking for. For my needs the HL25 looks like a much better option:
- Longer runtimes
- IPX8
- Brighter
Even burst mode for more light in case you need it - I'm not a fan of extremely bright outputs but considering the High isn't that bright it's nice to have a higher output option in case you need.

The only advantage I can see in the HL23 is that it's extremely lightweight and that it uses only one AA battery but again, runtimes are shorter so if you plan to use it a lot, you'd have to carry lots of spares. If you prefer AAs over AAAs, I'd go for the HL30 as it even has a red LED.

Last edited:

aacells

Newly Enlightened
Any chances of beam shots comparing the Fenix HL21 against this new Fenix HL25 headlamp? How do these headlamps compare against each other?