question about piston drive

gianetics

Enlightened
i have been reading as much as i can about piston drive lights. from my understanding no current flows through the body of the light only through the sleeve correct? how does the light stay on after the piston released if there is no more current path? i hope this makes some kind of sense.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
In the D10-type lights the piston makes contact with a spring-loaded brass ring in the head of the light.

When you press the piston down this pushes the ring down against a contact beneath so that the circuitry can detect the press, but on release the spring keeps the brass ring in contact with the piston maintaining a current path.

The contact between piston and ring is only broken if you unscrew the body from the head by a couple of turns, meaning that the light can also be used as a twisty. In this mode, you also get momentary operation as the piston does break contact with the ring when released.

gianetics

Enlightened
that makes perfect sense. i knew there had to be a constant path since some of the command require a click and hold. thanks moonshadow

bubble

Enlightened
Speaking about piston drive... why have manufacturers/makers given up on this technology?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking about piston drive... why have manufacturers/makers given up on this technology?

Possibly because in order to operate properly the piston and the other parts (e.g. the contact ring in the head) require a very strict tolerance which can not be guaranteed for mass production.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Yes, it's one of those technologies that, when it works, it works really well, but it is very dependent on the attention to detail and the quality control of the manufacturer.

Still think it's a shame they didn't simply update the original D10 / EX10 line with the latest emitters - all they had to do was stick an XP-G2 in 'em . . . and a 2xCR123 / 18650 version with 850 Lumens would have been amazing !