4Sevens- Mix & Match?

Homesteader

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, new here but had a couple questions that I couldn't find answers to.

I wanted to get a new 4Sevens qplc to replace my old quark 123, but then I saw the two cell version with burst mode! 780 lumen! My question is, and the parts are already here but I want to make sure before I wreck anything, I want to build my own using the 780 lumen head but with a single rcr123a cell. I ordered a new single cell body, pro tail cap, and the 780 head.

Here is is where I get lost... I've read that it won't work reliably with a regular cr123a single use cell, something about voltage not high enough for using all modes or so? Will it work in a pinch safely? What exactly happens doing so?

I ordered 3 AW RCR123a cells and a cytac dual bay charger (which I now read is not a good charger, but it'll do until I get a better one in a week or so). So am I going to be good to go or am I going to light my pants on fire carrying this around? I understand that these cells are high enough voltage to run this way correct? Do the AW cells come ready to use or need to be charged?

Thanks for your help!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, you're set to go.. I run mine on a AW IMR 14500. Technically you should use an AW IMR 16340, since that chemistry is rated to handle the 2A draw of the light, but the AW ICR is a good cell and can handle the draw - 47s sold some burst mode lego using 1xAW ICR16340 already, and at least the cell is protected. Make sure you read up on Li-ion safety though.

I've tried 1x 3V CRAAs and the light will run ML/L/M and some level of H, but forget turbo... That's fine for a back-up for me.

Great light with good mode spacing and a wicked pocket rocket. :) Enjoy.

Homesteader

Newly Enlightened
It works! Love it. The charger seemed to work pretty well. Didn't take too long to charge the cells. They were not charged from the store.

I will have to order some more batteries in the future. Right now I'm just happy to have a new light!

:cool: