Disturbing trend in sales posts

Rudi

Enlightened
A disturbing trend in sales posts --

Many sellers now think it is more important to post the reason for the sale than a description with specifications of the product they are selling. Instead of providing useful information, many sales threads emphasize the seller's financial distress -- the need to repair a truck, unforeseen expenses, a new baby, a new toy, and other such extraneous irrelevant details.

For example, often offered for sale is a mixture of letters and numbers, and everyone is supposed to know what these refer to, sometimes without even a photo to tell whether it is a light or some other product? When a photo is included to show it is a light, often there are no specifications given.

If I am attracted to an unfamiliar light I want to know whether it is a clicky or twisty, its dimensions, the emitter, the beam quality, how many levels, how to change levels. With this information I have repeatedly purchased lights, even very expensive ones that became favorites, about which I knew nothing when stumbling upon the sales thread. So why self-defeat from the get-go by limiting prospective buyers to those already familiar with the product's details, bypassing a large pool of potential buyers?

Even a veteran flashaholic, if returning to the forum after having been absent for some time, may be unfamiliar with the designation and specs of current models. So why be self-defeating by limiting prospective buyers to those already familiar with the product's details?

Norm

Retired Administrator
For example, often offered for sale is a mixture of letters and numbers, and everyone is supposed to know what these refer to

I certainly struggle with the model numbers too.

I do find it disturbing that this had to be moved from CPF's Custom & Modified Flashlights - Buy/Sell/Trade, that isn't the place for general discussion, it's a place to post sales threads. - Norm

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess some pepole want to get rid of a light because of "bad" tint, or something else they didn't like about the light. I wont buy a light from them. I rather buy it from a guy that loves his light, but cant afford to have it because he needs a new arm or leg or a truck. Im suspisious on anyone that dont need a new bodypart or a truck in the sales thread. Im thinking: they didn't like the light, must be something wrong, so I prob wont like it. Warning danger-danger!! hehe :)

Model numbers can be hard to remember. If i dont know what light it is, copy, paste in the search engine, and i will know in one sek. If there is no info about the light on cpf, then the light dont exists :)

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
"New baby" on the way means seller needs the money so I may get it cheaper,there really is no need to give a reason as it impresses no one.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually post the reason why so that people know I am not just getting rid of a light with bad tint/off center emitter/noisey driver.

I usually try my best to always provide pictures of what I am selling and the manufacturers description in my sales thread as well.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is disturbing to you, the good news is you don't have to purchase the product.

All sellers are people. Some people aren't as detail oriented, or thorough, as others. This is why every sales thread is a little different - no need to be bothered by it, just move to the next WTS ad.

K31Scout

Newly Enlightened
I belong to ecig, archery, fishing and hunting forums. Everybody always says why they want to sell whether relevant or not. We're not dealing with professional sellers and I expect to have to ask questions and ask for pictures etc. Most of these guys and gals have never sold anything online in their lives and have no clue what makes a good add.

beau007

Newly Enlightened
I tend to agree with the OP. I don't find it helpful to hear the "why" of the sale unless the item for sale is lacking in someway. I just want to know "what" is for sell. Product specs are really helpful, and I think savvy sellers include them. They make it just that much easier for the buyer. I can use that to determine if I must have it.

And too often, I do!

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said...

If it is disturbing to you, the good news is you don't have to purchase the product.
All sellers are people. Some people aren't as detail oriented, or thorough, as others. This is why every sales thread is a little different - no need to be bothered by it, just move to the next WTS ad.

fyrstormer

Banned
If you don't recognize a light, run a google search on the model name/number and see what comes up. A lot of times people don't describe the operational modes of their lights because it would involve a lot of typing on their part just to save the buyer 30 seconds of research.

nbp

Flashaholic
If you don't recognize a light, run a google search on the model name/number and see what comes up. A lot of times people don't describe the operational modes of their lights because it would involve a lot of typing on their part just to save the buyer 30 seconds of research.

This.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lets not forget the thing called PM's or emails. It wouldn't hurt to ask....

I find it to some the reason to sell is more important than what is being sold. I'm ok with that.

Last edited:

shuter

Enlightened
cland72 in the following post may be correct. My post here may have been outside the original posters main point and thread intent so I have deleted it.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a big difference between not going into detail regarding features/operation of the light, and hiding/withholding information regarding blemishes/issues with the item being sold. Two different issues, IMO.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
It definitely sucks if someone sells a sub-standard product without disclosing the problems with it, but that's different from not providing a feature list in the sale thread.

herman30

Newly Enlightened
A lot of times people don't describe the operational modes of their lights because it would involve a lot of typing on their part just to save the buyer 30 seconds of research.

In that case don´t sell if it´s too hard to include facts about the item. It is in the interest of the seller to make it as easy as possible for the buyer to buy, not vice versa.

fyrstormer

Banned
That depends on whether the light is mass-produced or custom-made. I only deal in custom-made lights anymore, and the people buying those lights are enthusiastic enough about their hobby that they don't mind doing a little research when they see something they like.

I always answer questions if potential buyers ask them. That is a good compromise.